Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 08:49 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

Actually, there is somewhat of a plan for traffic, it is just that the city is growing faster than we can add roads. Of course, the plan is mostly toll roads. Light rail is being added, but it is in its infancy.

Anyway, when 71/290 freeway is complete, and the 183 fwy, that will help a lot of the E/W traffic. As for north south, that is a bit more difficult, but Hwy 130 may help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,859 times
Hi I am new to this board and live in Denver and I am moving to Austin! Denver is a great place. I just wanted to let you know about the weather with a BIG exception to this winter. We are having an unusually very cold and snowy winter. Most winters here there is not a lot of snow in Denver and when it does snow the sun melts it pretty quickly. You will often here people say there are more days of sunshine here than in Florida. There is rarely humidity and that means very little bugs. It is a dry climate, the summers get hot, but there is definitley a difference without the humidity.
I am from the east coast and the weather is so much better here. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions about Denver I have lived here for 6 years and in the mountains for 5 before that.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:48 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
We are from the Seattle area, and once looked into Denver when we thought my husbands job might transfer him.

The salary there (for the tech industry as a whole) was much lower than what we were used to - so that was a deciding factor for us.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:37 AM

944 posts, read 3,954,927 times
Jenbar, did you ever go to the Freemont Sunday Market? My sister has been managing that for about 12 years. She's about 6 feet tall and weighs enough to be an NFL linebacker. If any of that rings any bells, then you've probably seen or met my sister.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:18 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
One note on Denver's real estate market...I do not believe it is as healthy as Austin's. My mother-in-law bought a townhouse in Littleton about 2 years ago and it has not appreciated one penny - in fact, it's probably worth a bit less now. Things are a bit slower there, houses can sit on the market a long time.

So...if real estate appreciation is a concern, you may want to take a look deeper into the #s between Austin and Denver. I don't have any readily available, but I thought I'd throw it out there as a point! Good luck.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:47 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Quote:
Jenbar, did you ever go to the Freemont Sunday Market?
Yes! Often - but there are SO many people there, so many different types of people there, in so many "different" looking styles ... and then there are all the different products and items sold... that it's kind of hard to stand out

Old 02-01-2007, 10:54 AM

4 posts, read 14,967 times
I've lived in Denver (Littleton, actually) for over 10 years and it really is a nice place to live, in spite of the unusually brutal winter we've been having this year. Our winters here are usually fairly mild with the occasional snowstorm that melts off quickly. It's very dry here also, so a humidifier and lot's of lotion is a necessity almost year round. The housing market has been fairly stagnant for the past 5 years. I bought my house at about the peak in 2002 and it's barely appreciated since then. It's definitely a buyer's market at the moment but probably won't remain that way for too much longer. Now if only we were closer to the ocean, Denver would be just about perfect! By the way, my sister moved from Denver to Austin 3 years ago and just loves it there. She's always bragging about the weather and trying to get me and my other sister to move down there. If it weren't for the cockroaches I'd probably consider it. Those things really creep me out and I haven't seen a single one in the 10 years I've been here. (probably why I've been here for so long!)

Old 02-01-2007, 01:30 PM

30 posts, read 137,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethB View Post
I've lived in Denver (Littleton, actually) for over 10 years and it really is a nice place to live, in spite of the unusually brutal winter we've been having this year. Our winters here are usually fairly mild with the occasional snowstorm that melts off quickly. It's very dry here also, so a humidifier and lot's of lotion is a necessity almost year round. The housing market has been fairly stagnant for the past 5 years. I bought my house at about the peak in 2002 and it's barely appreciated since then. It's definitely a buyer's market at the moment but probably won't remain that way for too much longer. Now if only we were closer to the ocean, Denver would be just about perfect! By the way, my sister moved from Denver to Austin 3 years ago and just loves it there. She's always bragging about the weather and trying to get me and my other sister to move down there. If it weren't for the cockroaches I'd probably consider it. Those things really creep me out and I haven't seen a single one in the 10 years I've been here. (probably why I've been here for so long!)
UH<<COCKROACHES!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2007, 01:36 PM

30 posts, read 137,460 times
and isn't Denver A LOT more expensive than Austin?

Old 02-01-2007, 06:06 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,927 times
Austin has gotten very expensive if you want to live in the nicer areas. You can live out in generic suburbs cheaply but then you might as well live in Dallas.

My guess is that Austin and Denver are comparable for equally desired neighborhoods. I don't know the overall averages though, they are probably lower in Austin because prices drop dramatically when you get away from central and west Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: