Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:16 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
In what ways does Northern Virginia have a go-go-go attitude?

I must have lived in a completely different region.
If you don't think NoVA has a go-go-go attitude then I guess you did too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 11:19 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
If you don't think NoVA has a go-go-go attitude then I guess you did too.
That's funny. NOVA is low-density, quiet suburbia. I'm not sure why it would be any faster-paced than higher density suburbs in California. The only remotely possible reason for it being "faster" is that there's higher transit use. But those people are mostly driving to metro stations, not walking to them.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
That's funny. NOVA is low-density, quiet suburbia. I'm not sure why it would be any faster-paced than higher density suburbs in California. The only remotely possible reason for it being "faster" is that there's higher transit use. But those people are mostly driving to metro stations, not walking to them.
Lol, oh ok. Thanks for letting me know that.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:25 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
In what ways does Northern Virginia have a go-go-go attitude?

I must have lived in a completely different region.
This coming from the same guy who once famously stated that Richmond only has "a block" of row homes, and kept perpetuating that lie for nearly a year. You post great stuff sometimes, and yet have been known to speak in blissful ignorance and not back off your comments in the face of adverse proof. To anyone who's been on cd, your credibility is definitely not the greatest...

Old 08-05-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This coming from the same guy who once famously stated that Richmond only has "a block" of row homes, and kept perpetuating that lie for nearly a year. You post great stuff sometimes, and yet have been known to speak in blissful ignorance and not back off your comments in the face of adverse proof. To anyone who's been on cd, your credibility is definitely not the greatest...
What does this have to do with the claim that Northern Virginia has a fast-paced, "go go go" attitude. I don't even know what the hell you are talking about.

I lived in Washington, DC for a long time, and I wouldn't even say the District has a "go go go" mentality.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 08-05-2015 at 11:36 AM..

Old 08-05-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I suppose you were talking about this.

Quote:
Don't you think that's overstating things a bit? I'd say that DC has "hundreds of blocks of rowhouses," which is still kinda paltry compared to Philly, which is completely dominated by the rowhouse. Richmond has a section of town with rowhouses similar to how Annapolis and Alexandria have a section of town with rowhouses. The rowhouse in Richmond is by far the exception, not the rule.
So let's see if the Census stats back me up.

1-Unit, Attached

Philadelphia - 58.3%
Baltimore - 52.8%
Washington, DC - 25.2%
Annapolis - 22.4%
Richmond - 8.4%

As you were saying...

Old 08-05-2015, 11:35 AM

Who said RICHMOND has a go-go-go attitude. Of course Richmond doesn't, Richmond is NOT part of Northern Virginia or the DC area for that matter.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Who said RICHMOND has a go-go-go attitude. Of course Richmond doesn't, Richmond is NOT part of Northern Virginia or the DC area for that matter.
I meant to say Northern Virginia. I edited the post.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:40 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
I meant to say Northern Virginia. I edited the post.
Lol this dude knows exactly what I'm talking about. You specifically once said that Richmomd only has one block of row homes, and kept that lie going for a year when told there was more than one block, hell more than one neighborhood, in Richmond that features row homes...

Anyway, it doesn't have anything to do with the topic. I brought that up just to say that your word that DC isn't "go-go-go" isn't necessarily believable, on that or any other measure. However, I'd venture that you feel that way because you are from New York, and that would make sense. I'm not from New York, so my definition or perception of fast is likely different. Certainly, DC isn't slower than Philly or Bmore. I've admittedly never been to Boston, but I can't think of why it would have a more frenetic pulse, energy, or is more fast than Washington....

I could be wrong, though. I haven't been everywhere. But I've lived in seven states and been to many more, a good collection of large cities, and in my opinion, none of those places are faster-paced than DC. I'm from here, and only compared to where I've been, no other place has a vibe close to go-go-go, so from that perspective, yes, DC is it....

I'm from Nova. Where I'm from isn't a quiet, sleepy suburb. But again, you're from New York, so I don't think what you're saying is necessarily wrong, we just probably have two different perceptions of what is fast. Woodbridge/Fairfax certainly isn't the same type of suburb as Jersey City, agreed; but many, and I'd gather MOST, cities do not have suburbs as semi-urban or busy as the suburbs around The Capital...

Old 08-05-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Lol this dude knows exactly what I'm talking about. You specifically once said that Richmomd only has one block of row homes, and kept that lie going for a year when told there was more than one block, hell more than one neighborhood, in Richmond that features row homes...
No, I don't know what you're talking about. You're going to raise something completely irrelevant that may or may not have been said a long time ago and then say "You know exactly what I'm talking about" as if it was a statement I made this morning. If you're so adamant that I said that Richmond had one block of rowhomes, in a non-joking way, then post the quote. Otherwise, stop talking about it and keep to the topic.

Quote:
Anyway, it doesn't have anything to do with the topic. I brought that up just to say that your word that DC isn't "go-go-go" isn't necessarily believable, on that or any other measure.
I never asked anyone to believe what I said because of some track record I've built on C-D. I said that I never found Northern Virginia to be fast-paced because it's low density suburbia. And I said that I don't see why it would be any faster-paced than Western suburbs that are much denser and intensely built up than the NOVA suburbs.

Quote:
However, I'd venture that you feel that way because you are from New York, and that would make sense. I'm not from New York, so my definition or perception of fast is likely different. Certainly, DC isn't slower than Philly or Bmore. I've admittedly never been to Boston, but I can't think of why it would have a more frenetic pulse, energy, or is more fast than Washington....
I don't have any opinion about the pace of life in DC relative to Boston. Personally, I don't find DC to be fast-paced, and the around-the-clock work culture applies largely to Big Law, which is really more of a 10-7 gig rather than a "round the clock" gig. By 7:30, most associates at Skadden Arps are on the Mall playing softball.

I really don't find any other cities to have a "go go go" attitude outside of NYC. And really, that's only in select portions of Manhattan.

Quote:
I'm from Nova. Where I'm from isn't a quiet, sleepy suburb. But again, you're from New York, so I don't think what you're saying is necessarily wrong, we just probably have two different perceptions of what is fast. Woodbridge/Fairfax certainly isn't the same type of suburb as Jersey City, agreed; but many, and I'd gather MOST, cities do not have suburbs as semi-urban or busy as the suburbs around The Capital...
I mean, if you live in Old Town, you may not live in a quiet, sleepy suburb. Or perhaps the Ballston corridor. But even Ballston is a tiny island of "urbanity" surrounded by quiet suburbia and sleepy SFH neighborhoods. I'm not sure why anyone would find it "fast-paced" considering most of America lives in SFH neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City