Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is better?
Pacific Northwest 50 70.42%
Deep South 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:27 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times

Advertisements

The Pacific Northwest includes:

Washington
Oregon
Idaho
British Columbia

The Deep South includes:

South Carolina
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana

Rate these regions based on the following criteria:

Economy
History
Natural scenery
Urbanness
Education
Museums
Public transportation
Weather
Food
Proximity to other regions

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-21-2012 at 12:05 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 01:09 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
The Deep South is my favorite place in the world, and to be clear, this region includes North Florida and East Texas, as well as parts of Arkansas and Tennessee.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:50 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,854 times
The Pacific Northwest is certainly more pretty than the Deep South but economically, I don't think it's even close.

It's one thing to compare Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami individually but when you factor all four together in the region, you're talking one major economic powerhouse that Seattle, Vancouver, and Portland just can't even come close to matching. Then the South also has Birmingham, Orlando, New Orleans, Savannah, Jacksonville, and Charleston to spare.

Urbanity is a different story. Seattle and Vancouver are both highly urban and Portland's claim to fame is it's pioneering of urban development codes rarely seen outside of Europe so I would say the Pacific Northwest edges out the south in this matter. Not that the southern cities don't have urbanity...

The south is much better connected to the rest of the country than the PN. I felt very iscolated when I visited Seattle. To the east you have a whole bunch of nothing (Idaho, Wyoming, North Dakota) before you get to a state with much of anything in it.
California is to the south of Oregon obviously but the drive there is long and no moderate sized cities are passed through. In the south you would go from Miami to Orlando to Jacksonville to Atlanta then up I-85 to Columbia to Charlotte to Raleigh/Durham to Richmond, then on up to DC, Philly, NY, etc.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:11 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Economy: Deep South easily.
History: How does one rank history? Did one place exist before the other?
Natural scenery: Tie I prefer the Pacific NW but the Deep South has more variety
Urbanness: PacNW
Education: Deep South pretty easily
Museums: Um.... tie? I guess maybe Seattle helps PacNW win but if we say Fine Arts in general (Concert Halls/Galleries/etc) its a tie.
Public transportation: Pac NW
Weather: Deep South
Food: Deep South
Proximity to other regions: Tie

Overall for me I'd rather live in Pac NW than Deep South but not for any of the reasons above. Deep South by all means should win this if people are honest, of course this is C-D so Seattle will single handedly win because its seen as more perrty.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
The Pacific Northwest is certainly more pretty than the Deep South but economically, I don't think it's even close.

It's one thing to compare Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami individually but when you factor all four together in the region, you're talking one major economic powerhouse that Seattle, Vancouver, and Portland just can't even come close to matching. Then the South also has Birmingham, Orlando, New Orleans, Savannah, Jacksonville, and Charleston to spare.

Urbanity is a different story. Seattle and Vancouver are both highly urban and Portland's claim to fame is it's pioneering of urban development codes rarely seen outside of Europe so I would say the Pacific Northwest edges out the south in this matter. Not that the southern cities don't have urbanity...

The south is much better connected to the rest of the country than the PN. I felt very iscolated when I visited Seattle. To the east you have a whole bunch of nothing (Idaho, Wyoming, North Dakota) before you get to a state with much of anything in it.
California is to the south of Oregon obviously but the drive there is long and no moderate sized cities are passed through. In the south you would go from Miami to Orlando to Jacksonville to Atlanta then up I-85 to Columbia to Charlotte to Raleigh/Durham to Richmond, then on up to DC, Philly, NY, etc.
Texas and Florida were not included. Maybe read the thread instead of just the title kktnx

Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Economy: Deep South easily.
History: How does one rank history? Did one place exist before the other?
Natural scenery: Tie I prefer the Pacific NW but the Deep South has more variety
Urbanness: PacNW
Education: Deep South pretty easily
Museums: Um.... tie? I guess maybe Seattle helps PacNW win but if we say Fine Arts in general (Concert Halls/Galleries/etc) its a tie.
Public transportation: Pac NW
Weather: Deep South
Food: Deep South
Proximity to other regions: Tie

Overall for me I'd rather live in Pac NW than Deep South but not for any of the reasons above. Deep South by all means should win this if people are honest, of course this is C-D so Seattle will single handedly win because its seen as more perrty.
Does the Deep South have more variety, though? It's pretty much just rolling hill pine woods and coastal plain.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:40 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Economy - Outside of Atlanta or New Orleans, I know little about the economy in those Deep South states. Seattle has a good economy, Portland is mediocre, Vancouver BC is a mixed bag. I'm more on the tech side of things, so I'd be better off working in the Northwest most likely.

History - Deep South; Between Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans, there's no real competition in the Northwest as far as really old historic cities.

Natural scenery - Pacific Northwest; Way more variety between the coast, Cascades, eastern deserts/plateau, and lush interior valleys. The Deep South has nice coastal beaches, but the flatter sections of the interior are boring to drive through.

Urbanness - Pacific Northwest - Though "Urbanness" isn't a real word.

Education - Probably the Deep South. Older educational institutions in the south and probably more of them--great places to major in football. Though all the same UW and Simon Fraser are fine schools.

Museums - Pacific Northwest? There's good museums in Vancouver and Seattle, and New Orleans has a couple good ones, though I've never been to any in Atlanta.

Public transportation - Pacific Northwest

Weather - Deep South(Year round) - Though the summers there are miserably humid in parts, and I'll take a Northwest summer over any season in the South.

Food - Deep South - Different regional food and historic cities are the two things the Deep South does better than Pacific Northwest by far. Though the cities of the Northwest have great restaurants, there's no real regional specialities like in the South that make the area unique(outside of the excellent seafood and produce and beer and wine in the Northwest).

Proximity to other regions - Deep South - It's sort of too far to drive to the best of the rest of the West from most of the Northwest. From the Deep South at least you're not too far to drive to Florida or different regions. Though on the other hand there's much more to do in the Northwest itself.

Although I ranked the Deep South higher in more categories--outside of New Orleans(or maybe Atlanta if I was offered a job there), I'd probaly never consider moving there. Savannah and Charleston are nice to visit though.

Last edited by Deezus; 06-21-2012 at 02:58 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 03:08 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
I think the deep south trumps the PNW in everything except flannel shirts and soggy depressed people seeking affirmation.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:21 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think the deep south trumps the PNW in everything except flannel shirts and soggy depressed people seeking affirmation.
Well, I guess if we're just going to talk about broad stereotypes...

Wait, I can't think of any obvious negative stereotypes associated with the Deep South off the top of my head--give me a minute...

Old 06-21-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Does the Deep South have more variety, though? It's pretty much just rolling hill pine woods and coastal plain.
I think you're pretty grossly simplifying the ecology of the region. But photos always seem to be crowd pleasers:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5161/5205898060_3c2c622b6c.jpg
The Mountains are Calling by outsideshot, on Flickr

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/176/383123613_0bbb1a9a91.jpg
Upper Section of DeSoto Falls. by BamaWester, on Flickr

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2636/5802332960_07427bdd8d.jpg
IMG_4357 by New Orleans Lady, on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5228/5757614735_3f5df46c9a.jpg
Grace's High Falls by mcmillend, on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3416/3226647784_7c03e63063.jpg
Hunting Island Moonrise, South Carolina by Richard Bernabe, on Flickr

Last edited by JMT; 06-15-2013 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City