Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you live?
Old Toronto 10 20.41%
San Francisco 14 28.57%
North Chicago 25 51.02%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:02 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,552,145 times

Advertisements

SF has the worst transportation, but also has the best flow (By a hair) between downtown and neighborhoods, and as far as I know, more residential near the CBD, so if one has time it is more enjoyable to walk and is less prone to problems via the elements. So those are it's saving graces... but it ends there.
There is only one subway line though which is actually just commuter rail primarily serving the suburbs (BART) with only 8 stops in the city. only 6 of those are places you'd want to go and all linear unless you want to count Glen Park or Balboa Park. Otherwise you are stuck to taking Muni, which is the slowest transit in North America.

Not even close to a true subway system like Chicago or Toronto has. Should not even be mentioned. Chicago has about twice this many just in the 2-3 square mile Loop. I just did a count and found 55 subway stops in the "north side" area, 40 if you pretend that the loop is not there.. Not including the Metra stops which would add another 8-10 stops, or the much larger bus and taxi fleet...

"With an average vehicle speed of 8.1 mph, it is far and away the slowest major urban transit system in the nation."
The Muni Death Spiral - Page 1 - News - San Francisco - SF Weekly

Last edited by grapico; 08-07-2012 at 08:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 08:21 AM

4,681 posts, read 5,002,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Well it depends on what one considers the "North Side" vs. "Northwest Side". I used the following:

Rogers Park
West Ridge
Lincoln Square
Edgewater
Uptown
North Center
Lakeview
Lincoln Park
Near North Side
Albany Park
Irving Park
Avondale
Logan Square
West Town

Anything further west than Avondale/Logan Square/West Town is the west side in my opinion.
That's reasonable. You have to include North Park in there, too, though. I personally wouldn't include Avondale, Logan Square, or West Town, and probably not Irving Park, but I can see the argument for doing so.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:14 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,239,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Well it depends on what one considers the "North Side" vs. "Northwest Side". I used the following:

Rogers Park
West Ridge
Lincoln Square
Edgewater
Uptown
North Center
Lakeview
Lincoln Park
Near North Side
Albany Park
Irving Park
Avondale
Logan Square
West Town

Anything further west than Avondale/Logan Square/West Town is the west side in my opinion.
So that area of the north side is around 850,000 people in 38 square miles, or around 22,400 psm.

Throw in the downtown area along the lakefront just to the south and you get about 900,000 people in 41 square miles. - or about the same density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City