Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City "feels" the Most Urban/Metropolitan Nashville, Oklahoma City, or Indianapolis?
Nashville 95 48.72%
Oklahoma City 12 6.15%
Indianapolis 88 45.13%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:40 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
They never do.
And you know it.. But let them tell it they won and that's success..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 09:31 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yikes. Nashville voted no on their transit plan. I think that will really set them back from becoming the next long term urban boom town. I really thought they would pass that.
Well that's bad news , because Kansas City Missouri just open theirs streetcar system just recently. Oklahoma City of all places is going to open theirs streetcar system beginning this Christmas 2018. Nashville Tennessee rejects rail transit in 2018 , whats the hey is going on.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Well that's bad news , because Kansas City Missouri just open theirs streetcar system just recently. Oklahoma City of all places is going to open theirs streetcar system beginning this Christmas 2018. Nashville Tennessee rejects rail transit in 2018 , whats the hey is going on.
This was a full fledge Light Rail System that cost Billions, 5 lines as well as additional BRT lines and Revamped bus services, not just a street car system, whole different level. They were to rework the entire Transit system if passed. By the way Nashville already has one Commuter Rail line in place from Downtown to the eastern suburbs, no where big enough or the coverage for the rapid growth of the city. A simple streetcar would not solve Nashville traffic problems and would be a waste of money... It's a waste of money here in Atlanta and no one rides it.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:47 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
This was a full fledge Light Rail System that cost Billions, 5 lines as well as additional BRT lines and Revamped bus services, not just a street car system, whole different level. They were to rework the entire Transit system if passed. By the way Nashville already has one Commuter Rail line in place from Downtown to the eastern suburbs, no where big enough or the coverage for the rapid growth of the city. A simple streetcar would not solve Nashville traffic problems and would be a waste of money... It's a waste of money here in Atlanta and no one rides it.
The Atlanta streetcar is the first leg of a more extensive system that will be integrated into the Beltline so that's not the best comparison--although I understand your point. DC's streetcar gets some of the same flack as well.

But I think what Nashville was proposing was just a little too ambitious for the region at the moment. It will be a learning experience similar to what happened in Atlanta a few years back with the failed transit referendum.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:54 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
The light rail system and revamped bus service was only the beginning of a larger comprehensive plan. Nashville continues to attract major corporations despite this setback.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ten.../amp/572764002

It will be interesting to see what the next mass transit plan includes. I hope the city can at least build more sidewalks and bike paths. I think Indy's bike trail is nice. I also agree that a streetcar would not work here. The plan needs to sustainable and comprehensive.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
The light rail system and revamped bus service was only the beginning of a larger comprehensive plan. Nashville continues to attract major corporations despite this setback.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ten.../amp/572764002

It will be interesting to see what the next mass transit plan includes. I hope the city can at least build more sidewalks and bike paths. I think Indy's bike trail is nice. I also agree that a streetcar would not work here. The plan needs to sustainable and comprehensive.
Yep,, The heat doesn't seem to be cooling anytime soon! The light rail system would have been the icing on the cake if it had passed...

Old 05-04-2018, 12:09 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Meanwhile Nashville continues to boom and OKC is stagnating because of its dysfunctional state government and oppressive conservatism. Oklahoma City is one of the few cities in the South that is not booming.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:54 PM

80 posts, read 65,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Meanwhile Nashville continues to boom and OKC is stagnating because of its dysfunctional state government and oppressive conservatism. Oklahoma City is one of the few cities in the South that is not booming.
OKC is growing steadily. If you want unsustainable growth leading to a myriad of issues in the next few decades, make your way down to Austin. No amount of cool or trendy can stop massive inflation, transit nightmares, and housing bubbles. Everyone is drooling over the Austin's and Nashville's happening right now. Some of that is warranted, they are cool cities that are growing rapidly. But how long will the masses moving there stick around? Will they flee for the next big thing? Will they get tired of limited infrastructure for their growing populations? Will they seek out lower cost of living as the quick growth is leading to inflated prices?

Not everyone is benefiting from the fast growth in these places. 10-20 years from now we will be able to see how it plays out. Each city is different and maybe they all make it out and keep up with the pace of growth. But history tells us that probably won't happen. Some will fizzle, and the millions of residents that transplanted there will seek out better opportunities, just like they did when they moved to one the "it" cities in the first place.

I prefer OKC's rate of growth of the past 10 years. It's steady, but not overbearing. It's not making OKC a destination for the masses, but it's making it a whole lot better for those of us already here and the stream of new residents each year.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:07 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
OKC's metro has grown by 10.44% from 2010-2017. That's not the breakneck growth rate of Austin, Dallas, Houston, Raleigh, Charlotte, Nashville, etc., but that's very much above average and higher than DC, Minneapolis, Portland, SF, San Jose, Boston, etc.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:58 PM

80 posts, read 65,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
OKC's metro has grown by 10.44% from 2010-2017. That's not the breakneck growth rate of Austin, Dallas, Houston, Raleigh, Charlotte, Nashville, etc., but that's very much above average and higher than DC, Minneapolis, Portland, SF, San Jose, Boston, etc.
Exactly. It's pretty steady, substantial growth, and it's much more manageable. Bawac usually isn't entirely wrong when it comes to OKC's shortcomings, but he always diminishes anything positive with his overly negative and pessimistic outlook on the city. OKC is experiencing much more natural growth and the infill and development happening now is exciting. There's plenty of room for more growth, but I hope it happens at a slower pace than some of the other booming cities. I happen to like living in the heart of downtown for dirt cheap, having access to plenty of food and entertainment, and at the end of the day having so much left over I can take a few vacations each year and travel the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City