Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:25 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Lowell, MA and what's the other one...can't recall, but I had to go to training there once for two weeks-- near Old Bedford Village.

Lots of small towns outside of Pittsburgh-- Mount Pleasant, Scottdale, Everson, PA. But I guess they don't qualify as cities.
Lowell hasn't had a murder since 2009 its Summer Music series really livens up the city, Lawrence is the Problem, that Police cheif is on the news more than any other police chief, even Bostons.
Brockton, Holyoke, and Pawtucket, RI are depressing too, but not too dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 03:27 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
the mount vernon boarder that isnt far from the 2 train i know is bad because it boarders a bad side of uptown(hood name of wakefield), and it looks exactly the same and run down at the beginning until you drive more north when it starts to get appealing.

but so far this year mount vernon is worse then yonkers, and i beleive yonkers is a bigger more populated area then mt vernon.
Yonkers is the largest city in Westchester (that's right, bigger than White Plains). 197,339. Shocker, I know. Pittsburg's city population is about 300,000 for contrast. One big reason for this is the influx of people leaving NYC because even the Bronx is getting too expensive for them. I guarantee a huge chunk of their population is transients from the outer boroughs as they gentrify with a huge influx for transients from outside of NYC.

As my friend has told me, it is very hard to get out onto the street where some poor kid is lying and bleeding to death when his thug assailants are chucking rocks and glass bottles at the EMT's and/or Paramedics. Its barbaric. I get hating on the cops just because of that age old relationship, but obstructing medics is a new low...in war, the rules of engage meant prevent intentionally firing at medics was a serious transgression. New York's crime stats really benefit from this area not being in the bronx.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:33 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Yonkers is the largest city in Westchester (that's right, bigger than White Plains). 197,339. Shocker, I know. Pittsburg's city population is about 300,000 for contrast. One big reason for this is the influx of people leaving NYC because even the Bronx is getting too expensive for them. I guarantee a huge chunk of their population is transients from the outer boroughs as they gentrify with a huge influx for transients from outside of NYC.

As my friend has told me, it is very hard to get out onto the street where some poor kid is lying and bleeding to death when his thug assailants are chucking rocks and glass bottles at the EMT's and/or Paramedics. Its barbaric. I get hating on the cops just because of that age old relationship, but obstructing medics is a new low...in war, the rules of engage meant prevent intentionally firing at medics was a serious transgression. New York's crime stats really benefit from this area not being in the bronx.
yea ive heard emt stories of people hitting scaring emt,s who come to aid a fallen person in the streets smh.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:14 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
All of those places you just named are on the "okay" scale, I wouldn't call them desperate.

I'm sure there's a lot more, but out of the places I've been to.....

Cities:
Baltimore, MD
Chester, PA
Camden, NJ
Newark, NJ

Neighborhoods/Sections of cities:
Brownsville, Brooklyn, NY
East New York, Brooklyn, NY
North Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA
West Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA
A lot of the eastern parts of Washington, D.C.
Southside, Chicago, IL
South Atlanta, Atlanta, GA
Baltimore? As a whole?

That's far fetched, if you say neighborhoods/sections for cities such as Philly then you could say the same about Baltimore. Baltimore has terrible neighborhoods, but we also have a good amount of great neighborhoods within the city proper specifically around North Baltimore, and the inner harbor. East, and West Baltimore are known to be terrible, but not the entire districts. One of the great hospitals on the world is on the East Side, and both sides are being gentrified. I can't defend the other cities you mentioned but it's uncalled for to say Baltimore as a whole is desperate.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:09 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Baltimore? As a whole?

That's far fetched, if you say neighborhoods/sections for cities such as Philly then you could say the same about Baltimore. Baltimore has terrible neighborhoods, but we also have a good amount of great neighborhoods within the city proper specifically around North Baltimore, and the inner harbor. East, and West Baltimore are known to be terrible, but not the entire districts. One of the great hospitals on the world is on the East Side, and both sides are being gentrified. I can't defend the other cities you mentioned but it's uncalled for to say Baltimore as a whole is desperate.
I agree

Old 08-01-2012, 06:27 PM

605 posts, read 1,166,297 times
We need some help out here in some of the New England rustbelt cities. Boston has such a monopoly on the area that a lot of our second cities get almost completely forgotten about. They are the places where very little has often been done since the old mill days to revitalize these cities' economies and help the people who live here hold onto sustainable jobs. Even Boston's great innovation and technological wonderment usually sidesteps these places. These are also the cities, consequently, where many of New England's minorities live, as if we are hiding them in these places no one knows about. Of course, it's different in the Boston Metro which has a very diverse population, but that's because, again, it's Boston. Some of the places I'm thinking of include:

Worcester, MA
Springfield, MA
Lowell, MA
Lawrence, MA
Fall River, MA
New Bedford, MA
Woonsocket, RI
Pawtucket, RI
to some extent even Providence but on a much fainter note.

Not that everyone in all these places is desperate because they don't have a job. And not that there aren't areas making progress. Some suffered economic meltdown at much worse levels than others and some cities have been coping better than others (New Bedford). There is a serious lack of a new industry, and jobs in general, in these cities. New England has a much different layout than the rest of the country. When the industrial revolution came to America, it came to what is now known as the rust belt, and New England led the way. So many cities outside of Boston sprung up in what, only by national standards, is actually a comparatively small area. (Some of these cities, like NB and FR, also sprung up as port cities). But they kept that urban character, even if they have only 80-90,000 people they still feel a lot more like cities than place with big populations do. And so New England was much less consolidated. Think places like Atlanta or Phoenix where people gather in one tight area. These places are mid-level population centers too far from Boston to be apart of that city but too close that they really can't compete with it.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 PM

163 posts, read 259,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Baltimore? As a whole?

Listen young i was just in bmore today and the city is quite ghetto. Even ya downtownis filled with thugs, hoodrats,and drug addicts. The racial segregation in bmore feels like 1956. Bmore has no diversity whatsoever and despite being further north, bmore is more southern than DC is culturally. Bmore is filled with grit, urban blight, and poverty. No city is more f&@ked up than Baltimore, Maryland.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:52 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptkid View Post
Listen young i was just in bmore today and the city is quite ghetto. Even ya downtownis filled with thugs, hoodrats,and drug addicts. The racial segregation in bmore feels like 1956. Bmore has no diversity whatsoever and despite being further north, bmore is more southern than DC is culturally. Bmore is filled with grit, urban blight, and poverty. No city is more f&@ked up than Baltimore, Maryland.
Why do you feel the need to constantly talk about Baltimore??

Old 08-02-2012, 12:42 AM

711 posts, read 1,498,676 times
Chester PA, Rated the second most dangerous place in America next to East STL.

Chester is one of the only places in America that experienced martial law in the last few years.

In the south, Jackson Mississippi

Also the appalachian poverty...

Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 AM

64 posts, read 243,579 times
I would have to say Baltimore. I always feel very young and attractive when I go there-- many of the people tend to look rough, badly nourished, and unhealthy. There are some nice parts of the city, don't get me wrong, but it does give off this vibe of desperation and decay. This does not mean that I dislike Baltimore, so hold back your flames. I do like it. Its just a very desperate, gritty place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City