Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 10:20 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,675,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
THERE'S ONLY ONE TRUE "GOTHAM CITY", AND THAT IS "CLEVELAND!" SUPERMAN WAS BORN AND CREATED IN THE LEAFY CLEVELAND NEIGHBORHOOD OF GLENVILLE, ON THIS CITIES EAST SIDE.

THE TERM GOTHAM CITY WAS DERIVED FROM THE ARTS DECO SKYSCRAPER IN DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND KNOWN FORMERLY AS THE OHIO BELL BUILDING.

SO, THE FICTIONAL GOTHAM CITY IN THE SUPERMAN SERIES IS THOUGHT OF AS NEW YORK CITY - IN REALITY THO, IT CAN ONLY BE CLEVELAND.

Cleveland, the True Birthplace of Superman | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian Magazine
I wish this was intended sarcastically... Awesome...
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 01:25 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
The guy who said Gotham City probably meant to say METROPOLIS is located in Cleveland, and he does have a point. The two writers who came up with Superman back in the 1930s, Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel, were just kids in their teens and living in Cleveland, Ohio.

However in this long article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(comics) it says that they originally intending to sell the Superman strips to a Cleveland newspaper, they decided to set the stories there, but when the strips were re-used for the comic books, they changed the location to Metropolis. The earliest specific reference to Metropolis located it in New York State: in Superman #2 (Fall 1939), Clark (Superman) Kent sent a telegram to George Taylor, the editor of the Daily Star (the antecedent to the Daily Planet), addressed to "Metropolis, N.Y

If I am reading this right, Superman was orginially set in the city of Cleveland but when a actual comic book took over, they changed the location quickly to a place called Metropolis, which was not Cleveland.

Just to make it confusing, DC Comics has changed the location over the years --- In the 1940s Superman cartoons, produced by Paramount Pictures and Fleischer Studios, Superman is said to live in New York City rather than Metropolis during the seventh cartoon of the series, "Electric Earthquake." A Native American mad scientist claims that his people are the rightful owners of Manhattan, thus placing these cartoons in New York City. In the fifth episode in the series, "The Bulleteers," however, the city had already been identified as Metropolis, as the Bulleteers address in that cartoon the population of Superman's city as "citizens of Metropolis"; and in the 13th episode "Destruction Inc.," Metropolis is even seen spelled out twice on the Metropolis Munition Works, so it can be assumed that "Electric Earthquake" is an anomaly.

In a 1970s edition of "Ask the Answer Man," a column that ran occasionally in DC publications, it was stated that Metropolis and Gotham City were adjacent to New York City; across the harbor from each other.[4] That same column stated that Star City (the home of Green Arrow) was in Connecticut, Flash's Central City was in Ohio, and Hawkman's Midway City was in Michigan.[4] An earlier issue of DC's fanzine Amazing World of DC Comics, however, stated that Metropolis was located in Delaware, while Gotham was placed in New Jersey.[5] The Atlas of the DC Universe role playing game supplement, published by Mayfair Games, also claims that Metropolis is in Delaware.

But the real reason alot of people think Metropolis is NYC is because of the old Superman movies back in the 1980s, which clearly showed the NYC skyline and NYC LANDMARKS. Even the newspaper the Daily Planet seems to line up with the NY Daily News.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,649 times
I think it would be in Omaha nebraska.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:39 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,152,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
When people think of NYC, gangsters is not one of the first things they think about. With Chicago it does happen.
Actually, for neither city do I think of gangsters per se.

However, when I think of the Mafia I think of NYC. If I think of 1920s prohibition, Al Capone, I think of Chicago.

The point is, 1920s prohibition is in the past whereas Mafia connotation could be present as well. So with organized crime connotation, I would still give the nod to NYC.

Sort of similar how if I think of the 80s/90s Cocaine wars with the Colombians and Cubans I think Miami. It's more like a historical event than a situation still present like the Mafia. In both the cases for Chicago and Miami, a lot of the gangsters were originally from NYC who spread to neighboring cities trying to take control of new markets. Las Vegas is another example.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:37 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Because of the Dark Knight Rises movie and the Man of Steel teaser, it got me thinking. Which city do you feel represnts Gotham City and Metropolis the most?

For Gotham City I would say Chicago, followed by NYC. Chicago a little more because of it's organized crime history (not saying NYC didn't have it, it's just Chicago is more well known for it) and because the city is far more corrupt than NYC.

As for Metropolis I think San Francisco, NYC or Toronto. I feel like Toronto might be the best match.

What do y'all think?

Sorry I don't think of Chicago for organized crime...I think New York City for the Cosa Nostra (The Commission which set the rules for the entire American Mafia in the 30s...Lucky Luciano, The Bonanno family, The Colombo family, The Gambinos, the Genovase's & teh Lucchese family...all NYC based...not Chicago...most mafia movies are based on the NYC scene.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:54 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
On the Gotham show that's on now, every time they show the cityscape, it looks like Detroit or Baltimore in the foreground with a New York-inspired skyline superimposed into the background.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:45 PM

690 posts, read 1,007,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
On the Gotham show that's on now, every time they show the cityscape, it looks like Detroit or Baltimore in the foreground with a New York-inspired skyline superimposed into the background.
I posted this banner on another site of Baltimore and it got a huge hit with people comparing it to Gotham city

Full size

(Pic by me)

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 11-02-2015 at 03:53 PM..

Old 11-02-2015, 06:00 PM

539 posts, read 523,542 times
I don't understand the thought process that Gotham changes based on what City is the most dangerous at the time LOL Gotham has the same art deco architecture that NYC is famous for.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:22 PM

539 posts, read 523,542 times
I'm guessing Nolan filmed those movies in Chicago due to it being cheaper. He filmed the 3rd in Pittsburgh, and nobodies saying thats Gotham.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:34 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
I posted this banner on another site of Baltimore and it got a huge hit with people comparing it to Gotham city
Those pictures are nice, but Philly's mountain of buildings is more Gotham like in my opinion

Batman Night is better than Batman day. - Imgur

Lightning over Philadelphia - Album on Imgur

Other than that, I think NYC is the clear choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City