Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
They were planning a "Real Housewives of the Main Line," and when they held auditions, not one person attended. I think that speaks volumes about the attitude on the Main Line.

Philadelphia Main Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for the Wiki link, Summer. I've never ever ever heard of The Main Line.

Interesting about the "Real Housewives" thing. I'm not at all surprised, but any TV show with "Main Line" in the title sounds really good. Do you have a link to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
lol i dont think 120k is considered average and non lucrative
anyway, the way i saw it, i ma be gettin 40k here too, i guess maybe the starting salary is about the same, but the cap is higher here
do govt jobs pay lower too? (like if u work for the city or whateva as some kinda program analyst or coordinator)
Honestly, no idea... sorry... but I would assume govt jobs probably pay lower in Philly than the NYC area.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times
but at the end it still comes out to be much more affordable to live there than here or what? cuz seems like COL is like 50% lower, but i dont think jobs will pay that much less, rite?

Old 12-03-2012, 11:19 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
but at the end it still comes out to be much more affordable to live there than here or what? cuz seems like COL is like 50% lower, but i dont think jobs will pay that much less, rite?
Cost of living is lower than NYC for sure.. 50% lower? Doubt it, but certainly lower. As for what jobs pay, your typical jobs of doctor, business man, lawyer etc will pay around the same but jobs such as realtors, teachers, hospitality jobs, tourism jobs, waiters, bartenders, labor jobs/factory jobs/shipyard jobs/working class jobs, etc. etc. will pay less.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Cost of living is lower than NYC for sure.. 50% lower? Doubt it, but certainly lower. As for what jobs pay, your typical jobs of doctor, business man, lawyer etc will pay around the same but jobs such as realtors, teachers, hospitality jobs, tourism jobs, waiters, bartenders, labor jobs/factory jobs/shipyard jobs/working class jobs, etc. etc. will pay less.
well, if we take manhattan out of the picture, its def less, maybe like 30% lower, otherwise i dont think so
1 bd in a dirty ass building in dirty ass queens with a far ass commute costs like $1400 (no parking, no washer/dryer), same raggity ass place in manhattan-$2000+
im pretty sure u can find someth for $700-800 in philly that would resemble it
eryth else is higher in nyc too like food, amenities, insurance-Erything
but thats a whole diff discussion i suppose

Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 PM

seems like philly is the last one left on the east coast from the big 4 thats affordable and with the most potential so is that the reason for all the recent pop growth, construction and gentrification?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
If you are trying to get away from congestion, in any significant respect, then Philly isn't exactly a refuge relative to what you are used to - especially is you need to work in a different area than where you live, or you live/work within city limits. There are good suburban options, but you need to do a lot of research to find out what the best options are for your lifestyle/budget/commute tolerance, etc. I can almost state for a fact that it will be very difficult for someone from outside of the area to make a fully informed decision in that respect, unless you are highly skilled at and patient with doing research. The best options tend to be the least spoken about. Here's a hint: research which county you would like to live in first, and then narrow it down by area. Commute time, crime, housing costs, socioeconomic development, population density, natural amenities (nearby parks), how much schools spend per child (if you are planning on having a family here), and more should all count in to your decision.

Actually, I suggest that you take a long hard look at population density maps (from the NYT census maps) as well as the geographic location of other areas near philly (south, west, northwest, ) that may be convenient to what you are after (Jersey shore, etc). The delaware valley is a large area, and if you don't need the bar and restaurant scene in philly, then your area of potential relocation broadens significantly. Delaware, Maryland, and central/south Jersey are other options, all offering some things that overcrowded Philly does not. Be sure that your tradeoofs are worth it before moving to another high density area.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
If you are trying to get away from congestion, in any significant respect, then Philly isn't exactly a refuge relative to what you are used to - especially is you need to work in a different area than where you live, or you live/work within city limits. There are good suburban options, but you need to do a lot of research to find out what the best options are for your lifestyle/budget/commute tolerance, etc. I can almost state for a fact that it will be very difficult for someone from outside of the area to make a fully informed decision in that respect, unless you are highly skilled at and patient with doing research. The best options tend to be the least spoken about. Here's a hint: research which county you would like to live in first, and then narrow it down by area. Commute time, crime, housing costs, socioeconomic development, population density, natural amenities (nearby parks), how much schools spend per child (if you are planning on having a family here), and more should all count in to your decision.

Actually, I suggest that you take a long hard look at population density maps (from the NYT census maps) as well as the geographic location of other areas near philly (south, west, northwest, ) that may be convenient to what you are after (Jersey shore, etc). The delaware valley is a large area, and if you don't need the bar and restaurant scene in philly, then your area of potential relocation broadens significantly. Delaware, Maryland, and central/south Jersey are other options, all offering some things that overcrowded Philly does not. Be sure that your tradeoofs are worth it before moving to another high density area.
i hear ya
im not tryin to move to the sticks cuz then its an overkill, nyc is jus too much tho

Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 PM

could someone familiar with both areas break it down, like pros/cons and general ideas bout stayin in north jers vs movin to philly area (besides the obvious like COL and less crowded)
for example, someone told me that philly people are more "country" than here, that north jers people are more sophisticated, i don kno if this has to do with philly bein mostly blue collar or what else, but that was the statement, also was told that north jers is more diverse

Old 12-17-2012, 08:54 AM

werd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City