Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major metro area has the least diversified economy?
Washington, D.C. 16 11.27%
Detroit 25 17.61%
San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley 12 8.45%
Las Vegas 55 38.73%
Orlando 14 9.86%
Raleigh-Durham/Research Triangle 3 2.11%
Charlotte 6 4.23%
Nashville 3 2.11%
Pittsburgh 2 1.41%
Other 6 4.23%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:38 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times

Advertisements

Ok so they count San Jose as separate from San Francisco. I wonder about Norfolk and Colorado Springs.....well most are heavily dependent on the military I guess. I thought Seattle and Honolulu would have a more diiverse economic base. And whats the big business in Wichita? Meatpacking and agriculture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 06:41 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Ok so they count San Jose as separate from San Francisco. I wonder about Norfolk and Colorado Springs.....well most are heavily dependent on the military I guess. I thought Seattle and Honolulu would have a more diiverse economic base. And whats the big business in Wichita? Meatpacking and agriculture?
They did it by metropolitan area. San Jose is its own metro.

Thought the Seattle rank was odd too.

Have no idea what the major industry in Wichita is.

Honolulu did not surprise me.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:44 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,827,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The link Kidphilly posted may answer your question. at the end it leasts the least diverse economies:

You asked for big cities so San Jose, Seattle and Las Vegas among that list seems to be the biggest with the least diversified economies.
The link is from 2003 the economy has changed a lot in all cities since then is there an updated link.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:47 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,742 times
I voted Las Vegas but forgot that there is Nellis AFB there and UNLV so that helps. If El Paso is considered a big city then I'd say that economy is pretty limited. The Majority of the jobs there are affiliated with Ft Bliss. And during every deployment therefrom the economy suffers.

Also I know it's not a big city but look how San Bernardino, CA fell off the face of the earth after Norton AFB shut down I think being apart of Greater Los Angeles is the only reason that place didn't turn into a ghost town.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:50 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
if it's between Las Vegas and Orlando I would say it is Vegas without a doubt. As much as I despise 0rlando it does have a aerospace industry (e.g. Lockheed Martin, defense contractors) that one doesn't normally hear about but the economy in Orlando is either "feast or famine" as in the low paying tourist sector or the high paying tech & aerospace jobs.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:20 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
The link is from 2003 the economy has changed a lot in all cities since then is there an updated link.
Oh wow. I didn't see how old his link was.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:38 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,222,348 times
Quote:
And whats the big business in Wichita? Meatpacking and agriculture?
Interestingly enough its aerospace engineering, defense contracts and then agriculture.
I learned that today

Old 08-09-2012, 12:19 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
I voted Las Vegas but forgot that there is Nellis AFB there and UNLV so that helps. If El Paso is considered a big city then I'd say that economy is pretty limited. The Majority of the jobs there are affiliated with Ft Bliss. And during every deployment therefrom the economy suffers.

Also I know it's not a big city but look how San Bernardino, CA fell off the face of the earth after Norton AFB shut down I think being apart of Greater Los Angeles is the only reason that place didn't turn into a ghost town.
I"m sure El Paso also does a lot of business in international trade with Mexico with its border location and is a major transportation center. THey have one of the busiest international border crossings in the world. San Bernarndino does indeed benefit a lot from being in the Greater LA area.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:10 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Ok so they count San Jose as separate from San Francisco.
Yeah, as a matter of technicality San Jose is a different MSA, but economically speaking the Bay Area has a very diverse and extremely complex economy and is a major hub of finance, manufacturing, transportation, energy, education, health care, trade & commerce and so on.

But since SJ is separate I suppose its worth mentioning that San Jose also has the fastest growing economy, the highest average wage, the highest per capita GDP, the highest number of Fortune 500 companies per capita, the most patents issued annually, is now the dominant player in wireless communications, social media, the global nexus of internet traffic, is the top recipient of venture capital in the world and is producing jobs at a faster rate than ANY major MSA at this time.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post

El Paso also has UTEP. So, there is a higher education presence there too.

I believe that Cessna is based out of Wichita and sure enough, it is: Cessna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There's also wichita State and I believe that there is an Air Force Base in that area too. Wichita, Kansas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City