Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 05:01 AM

9 posts, read 22,696 times

Advertisements

I have two job offers at very progressive companies and the salary and benefits offers are comparable to each communities cost of living. One job is in Princeton NJ and the other is in Chapel Hill NC.

What are some pros and cons of each place? Best people, quality of life indicators such as schools and parks, things to do, weather, crime, traffic, etc. Both have nice colleges and an educated population with lots of greenery and nice residential areas. But which is better in YOUR opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 07:10 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,109,441 times
I've been to both of these towns. Two of my all-time favorite college towns. Princeton is fairly close to New York and Philly so easy to make day trips to the big city. Chapel Hill has a better climate with milder winters. With the other indicators you mention I'd rate them even.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:18 PM

126 posts, read 296,471 times
Chapel Hill has the advantage.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:10 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,876,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagrown View Post
Chapel Hill has the advantage.

Care to expand? Both towns are great, but Princeton is very hard to beat.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Care to expand? Both towns are great, but Princeton is very hard to beat.
Chapel Hill is a town, Princeton is a community.
Chapel Hill has better transportation... by roads and air.
UNC Chapel Hill is way larger than Princeton in terms of pretty much everything.
There's more to do in Chapel Hill, rather in Princeton where you have to travel.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:03 AM

9 posts, read 22,696 times
Does Princeton share the tough social and cultural environment one would expect in the New York City Metro area or is it to far out of the city to have that impact. Is Chapel Hill a place of southern hospitality?

Old 08-12-2012, 07:36 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,876,746 times
Quote:
Chapel Hill is a town, Princeton is a community. Incorrect, Princeton is a town, though neighboring areas try to take advantage of the prestigious Princeton address.
UNC Chapel Hill is way larger than Princeton in terms of pretty much everything. I don't know where you get your info. Have you been to Princeton? In what way, specificallly, is CH bigger and how does that qualify it as better?
There's more to do in Chapel Hill, rather in Princeton where you have to travel.
Wrong again! There is a fantastic downtown area in Princeton, along with everything you would expect in a college town. On top of that, it is just about the same distance from Manhattan and Philadelphia. CH has nothing of the sort within 5 hours.

On top of that, Princeton is often ranked as the number one University in the USA.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Wrong again! There is a fantastic downtown area in Princeton, along with everything you would expect in a college town. On top of that, it is just about the same distance from Manhattan and Philadelphia. CH has nothing of the sort within 5 hours.

On top of that, Princeton is often ranked as the number one University in the USA.
Yes, I have been to Princeton. According to Wikipedia, Princeton is a community and you cam obviously tell that when you drive through there compared to Chapel Hill. I was also saying Chapel Hill is closer to the nearest largest city than Princeton... regardless of how close it is to Manhattan and Philadelphia.

Actually, you're wrong, Princeton has not been rated the number one University in the US.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:11 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,326,501 times
Both are very nice towns, and you can't go wrong in either, IMO. I'm not entirely sure, but I think schools in both would be excellent. But if the decision were mine, I'd probably choose Princeton.

1. I prefer the climate in Princeton (I find cold winters easier to deal with than long hot summers, though winters in Princeton really aren't all that cold).
2. Princeton is closer to shore, mountains, and larger cities.
3. The countryside surrounding Princeton is beautiful, with rolling hills, small hamlets, and old mill towns along/near the Delaware River with ancient stone buildings and walls.
4. Great area for road or trail cycling (Chapel Hill may be too, IDK).

Old 08-12-2012, 12:16 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,326,501 times
Quote:
Yes, I have been to Princeton. According to Wikipedia, Princeton is a community and you cam obviously tell that when you drive through there compared to Chapel Hill. I was also saying Chapel Hill is closer to the nearest largest city than Princeton... regardless of how close it is to Manhattan and Philadelphia.

Actually, you're wrong, Princeton has not been rated the number one University in the US.
I'm not sure what the implied difference between "town" and "community" is here.

"Princeton" is composed of two municipalities that are currently in the process of merging. Residents voted last year by referendum to merge the municipalities in hope that it'll cut administrative costs. I'm not sure whether the merged municipality will be defined legally as a city, town, borough, township, etc. And the wikipedia contributor may not be sure either, hence use of the word "community" for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City