Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most world class city
DC 16 18.18%
SF 28 31.82%
Toronto 34 38.64%
Boston 10 11.36%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:27 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,717,159 times

Advertisements

Toronto > DC > the rest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 11:51 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,391,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notramick View Post
I agree entirely. Actually I would extend it to include the top 11.
People still want to say that not only is one city more world class than the other (which is a stupid assertion in its own right because using common lexicon, its like if someone says something is "much better" whereas 'better' is already a modifier, just like using the words 'world class'), but that other cities aren't even world class at all.

Either a place is world class or it isn't. And using the dictionary definition of world class, all these cities fit, There's no such thing as "more world class"

That's just really what I think it boils down to. Feel free to agree or disagree.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:08 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,049,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
People still want to say that not only is one city more world class than the other (which is a stupid assertion in its own right because using common lexicon, its like if someone says something is "much better" whereas 'better' is already a modifier, just like using the words 'world class'), but that other cities aren't even world class at all.

Either a place is world class or it isn't. And using the dictionary definition of world class, all these cities fit, There's no such thing as "more world class"

That's just really what I think it boils down to. Feel free to agree or disagree.
I very strongly agree...yours is a much better answer!

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 08-19-2012 at 12:51 PM..

Old 08-19-2012, 12:49 PM

37,246 posts, read 39,529,579 times
All four are about the same level overall with distinct niches for each of them. All four are international in fairly different ways.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:57 PM

50 posts, read 88,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post

I dont know what youre disagreeing with?

Is Boston as world class as NYC? Seattle as world class as Boston?

Agree that cities are either world class or not. NYC is world class, LA is world class, Chicago is world class, DC is world class, SF is world class, Boston is world class, Miami is world class, Houston is world class, Dallas is world class, Atlanta is world class, and Philly is world class but is Philly as world class as NYC? Atlanta as world class as Boston?

Old 08-19-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I dont know what youre disagreeing with?

Is Boston as world class as NYC? Seattle as world class as Boston?

Agree that cities are either world class or not. NYC is world class, LA is world class, Chicago is world class, DC is world class, SF is world class, Boston is world class, Miami is world class, Houston is world class, Dallas is world class, Atlanta is world class, and Philly is world class but is Philly as world class as NYC? Atlanta as world class as Boston?
The difference in world class-ness between these cities is really negligible, except for maybe the top 3 or so.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The difference in world class-ness between these cities is really negligible, except for maybe the top 3 or so.
NYC is in its own tier. LA and Chicago have a tier all to themselves. SF and DC have a tier to themselves. Boston and Toronto have a tier to themselves. Miami, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Philly, and Seattle are in a large group tier.

The drop off from the DC/SF tier to the Boston/Toronto tier is noticeable but so is the drop off from Boston to the Miami and co tier.

Last edited by Notramick; 08-19-2012 at 02:19 PM..

Old 08-19-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
NYC is in its own tier. LA and Chicago have a tier all to themselves. SF and DC have a tier to themselves. Boston and Toronto have a tier to themselves. Miami, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Philly, and Seattle are in a large group tier.

The drop off from the DC/SF tier to the Boston/Toronto tier is noticeable but so is the drop off from Boston to the Miami and co tier.
Is there any science to your rankings or is it all just your opinion? I suspect the latter...

Old 08-19-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Is there any science to your rankings or is it all just your opinion? I suspect the latter...
Of course the latter.

How would you group them? I can understand anyone saying SF, DC, Boston, and Toronto being in the same tier but other than that I don't see the bottom tier not being at the bottom.

I meant to vote for SF but clicked Toronto by accident which I think of as the least world class of these 4. LOL the irony

Old 08-19-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Of course the latter.

How would you group them? I can understand anyone saying SF, DC, Boston, and Toronto being in the same tier but other than that I don't see the bottom tier not being at the bottom.

I meant to vote for SF but clicked Toronto by accident which I think of as the least world class of these 4. LOL the irony
I would use some of the different rankings like GaWC and Global Cities Index, then come up with an average ranking. I think Lifeshadower did that already, but I don't remember where.

I think the point is that although some are obviously larger/more important than others, that doesn't diminish the fact that they are all world-class cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City