Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst Climate
Chicago 9 4.89%
Boston 3 1.63%
Minneapolis 32 17.39%
Seattle 13 7.07%
Miami 22 11.96%
Houston 55 29.89%
Buffalo 45 24.46%
Denver 5 2.72%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:39 AM

197 posts, read 453,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Phoenix, Houston.
Well too bad, Phoenix ain't on this poll. For once
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 12:06 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
I like Houston's climate. Despite what people say, there are times where it gets cold (I think it's called an ice storm?). The humidity is likely the worst in the USA though. I may be bias though. Minneapolis really isn't as bad as people think it is, but the cold is a bit much. Never been to Buffalo or Miami, but I hear the climate is pretty rough.

I don't get why people don't like snow. Climates that rarely or never get snow are BORING! like California and Florida for example. It must be terrible not to have a real winter.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:06 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
70s is cold but refreshing when it's 80s and 90s out. When it's 70s out, you basically don't even bother going in. Miami beach is very deserted in January/February (coldest) then just compare it in July.
no, 70s is perfect (or a bit warm) for the Ocean, when its 55F its cold, but i will go in if its warm enough. What is worse if when its summer, you go into the ocean and the water is 90F, like it is in Florida.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:11 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
no, 70s is perfect (or a bit warm) for the Ocean, when its 55F its cold, but i will go in if its warm enough. What is worse if when its summer, you go into the ocean and the water is 90F, like it is in Florida.
in 70 water temps, no matter how brave of a man you are, you will get hypothermia within a couple hours. Now tell me sunshine, how is that warm?

90F is warm but refreshing. I haven't seen anyone claim they got too hot from 90F water. Now, 100F water is a different story

No one goes into 55F willingly without a wetsuit. Even Navy Seals who train in 65F water easily get hypothermia in about 1 hour. These are men who are in the best physical shape they can be.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Cold Water

What is it? It is difficult even for an expert to define. It is estimated to be around and under the temperature of 70 degrees. However, this will vary in each case due to the specific circumstances and physical condition of the person involved.
Cold Water Survival

Take a look at the chart for your survival times.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:21 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
in 70 water temps, no matter how brave of a man you are, you will get hypothermia within a couple hours. Now tell me sunshine, how is that warm?

90F is warm but refreshing. I haven't seen anyone claim they got too hot from 90F water. Now, 100F water is a different story

No one goes into 55F willingly without a wetsuit. Even Navy Seals who train in 65F water easily get hypothermia in about 1 hour. These are men who are in the best physical shape they can be.
guess what if 55-70 degree water is the only water you have ever been in, you get used to it, just like if you live in Tibet, the thin mountain air eventually makes your body produce more red blood cells, amping up the amount of Oxygen in your blood because of exteme conditions, same with water, I think 90F is not refreshing, it is too warm.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:

Who spends hours in the ocean w/o getting out? I thought we were talking about enjoying a day at the beach not being stuck out in the open ocean from a boat capsizing.

70's in the water is perfectly fine for a lot of people, just look at the beaches in SoCal and the Mid-Atlantic during summer. It may be too cold for you but it's not for quite a lot of people. I personally think anything above 72 is perfect.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:26 PM

425 posts, read 370,949 times
70-80 is ideal for me.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
guess what if 55-70 degree water is the only water you have ever been in, you get used to it, just like if you live in Tibet, the thin mountain air eventually makes your body produce more red blood cells, amping up the amount of Oxygen in your blood because of exteme conditions, same with water, I think 90F is not refreshing, it is too warm.
or are not really aware of what the water temps are when you get in. I have lived in places where the water temperature never hit the 70s (so 60s). And guess what? NO ONE SWAM WITHOUT A WET SUIT. Some got in and then right away scurried out.

70s is what the water is at the peak in southern california. Even then, when people first enter you can see on their faces it's cold. These people are California natives and are used to it.

The average pool is kept in the mid 80s to sometimes low 90s.

Even low 90s, a foot in and it feels kinda cool. But you get used to it real quick.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-23-2012 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: language

Old 08-22-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Who spends hours in the ocean w/o getting out? I thought we were talking about enjoying a day at the beach not being stuck out in the open ocean from a boat capsizing.

70's in the water is perfectly fine for a lot of people, just look at the beaches in SoCal and the Mid-Atlantic during summer. It may be too cold for you but it's not for quite a lot of people. I personally think anything above 72 is perfect.
Well if someone says warm, to me that implies he can comfortably wade in it without having to get out.

If by warm he means: I can jump in and then jump out without getting too cold. Well, ok then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City