Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you recommend?
Denver 19 67.86%
Milwaukee 9 32.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:38 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times

Advertisements

I'm 20 years old and I've been dating a guy from a small town an hour from Milwaukee. Just recently he moved there and now I'm pondering moving there as well, but I've never been and haven't experienced it for myself. Honestly I've heard some bad things about Milwaukee, I've heard it's run down and not that interesting, but I want to experience something new and get out of my comfort zone. I may stay there with him for a bit to see what it's really like and if I like it. We've also been discussing moving to Denver, as it is roughly halfway between our current locations, has mountains which I love, less harsher winters, better distribution of seasons and I happen to have a few cousins out there. I'm much more familiar with Colorado, and I love having mountains. Wisconsin seems to be awfully flat (okay maybe some rolling hills, but I like to snowboard), and I'm so used to having inclines that being in a flat place drives me nuts. I'm sure Chicago would have the best urban amenities, but I feel more comfortable in small to medium sized cities. Also we are both guys, so that also will effect our decision. I noticed Wisconsin has a good amount of gay rights and has laws protecting people of LGBT status, but I also know they're are generally more conservative up there than much of California. My boyfriend was deep in the closet until a short while ago, but then again he lived in a small town and was probably fearful of being singled out.

So here's what I'm looking for
-Which city is better for gays and other alternative culture?
-Which has better beer (I know both cities are known for this, especially Milwaukee).
-Which has better universities? I'm looking to study arts and foreign language.
-Which has better nightlife? I know Milwaukee may have an advantage with Chicago being a short distance away.
-Which has better shopping?
-Which has better food?
-Which one has a generally more friendly atmosphere?
-Which one has better public transport? I hate driving and would like to do it as little as possible.
-Which feels more dense and urban?
-Whatever else I should know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:45 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I'm 20 years old and I've been dating a guy from a small town an hour from Milwaukee. Just recently he moved there and now I'm pondering moving there as well, but I've never been and haven't experienced it for myself. Honestly I've heard some bad things about Milwaukee, I've heard it's run down and not that interesting, but I want to experience something new and get out of my comfort zone. I may stay there with him for a bit to see what it's really like and if I like it. We've also been discussing moving to Denver, as it is roughly halfway between our current locations, has mountains which I love, less harsher winters, better distribution of seasons and I happen to have a few cousins out there. I'm much more familiar with Colorado, and I love having mountains. Wisconsin seems to be awfully flat (okay maybe some rolling hills, but I like to snowboard), and I'm so used to having inclines that being in a flat place drives me nuts. I'm sure Chicago would have the best urban amenities, but I feel more comfortable in small to medium sized cities. Also we are both guys, so that also will effect our decision. I noticed Wisconsin has a good amount of gay rights and has laws protecting people of LGBT status, but I also know they're are generally more conservative up there than much of California. My boyfriend was deep in the closet until a short while ago, but then again he lived in a small town and was probably fearful of being singled out.

-Which city is better for gays and other alternative culture?
-Which has better beer (I know both cities are known for this, especially Milwaukee).
-Which has better universities? I'm looking to study arts and foreign language.
-Which has better nightlife? I know Milwaukee may have an advantage with Chicago being a short distance away.
-Which has better shopping?
-Which has better food?
-Which one has a generally more friendly atmosphere?
-Which one has better public transport? I hate driving and would like to do it as little as possible.
-Which feels more dense and urban?

Milwaukee has better beer and feels more dense and urban. I'd say Denver wins everything else. But in many cases all that can be solved by the ~1 hour to Chicago. Inside Denver, what you see is basically what you get.

As to the first point ("-Which city is better for gays and other alternative culture?") and answering this as a straight male so I'm basically guessing: Denver struck me as more accepting. In Wisconsin, I'd move to Madison. In some ways I'd wager Minneapolis is even friendlier towards gays than Milwaukee or even Chicago. But that's all guessing.

One thing not mentioned is that Denver has FAR better weather, and far better winter activities. Milwaukee has the lake (Michigan) I guess.

Source: Used to spend some time in Milwaukee for a job when I lived in Detroit (LOL, don't ask )

EDIT: None of my business but how the hell did you meet someone in the boondocks of Wisconsin if you're out in Califas?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Milwaukee has better beer and feels more dense and urban. I'd say Denver wins everything else. But in many cases all that can be solved by the ~1 hour to Chicago. Inside Denver, what you see is basically what you get.

As to the first point ("-Which city is better for gays and other alternative culture?") and answering this as a straight male so I'm basically guessing: Denver struck me as more accepting. In Wisconsin, I'd move to Madison. In some ways I'd wager Minneapolis is even friendlier towards gays than Milwaukee or even Chicago. But that's all guessing.

One thing not mentioned is that Denver has FAR better weather, and far better winter activities. Milwaukee has the lake (Michigan) I guess.

Source: Used to spend some time in Milwaukee for a job when I lived in Detroit (LOL, don't ask )

EDIT: None of my business but how the hell did you meet someone in the boondocks of Wisconsin if you're out in Califas?
I've actually thought about Minneapolis as well, don't know much of Madison though. And I agree, Denver pretty much has my ideal climate.

And to answer your question: Interwebz, it's a beautiful thing.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:45 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,545 times
Default Denver

-Which city is better for gays and other alternative culture? Denver. But one major caveat to that - 90 miles from Milwaukee is Chicago, which is one of the more gay-friendly cities in the country outside San Francisco.

-Which has better beer (I know both cities are known for this, especially Milwaukee). Denver, actually. Milwaukee has Miller, but that's an enormous single company that dominates the city. Denver has a ton of microbrews - makes for a more interesting scene.

-Which has better universities? I'm looking to study arts and foreign language. Kind of a tie. Denver has DU and the University of Colorado nearby; Milwaukee has Marquette and the University of Wisconsin nearby.

-Which has better nightlife? I know Milwaukee may have an advantage with Chicago being a short distance away. Denver, in the city itself. But you're right, with Chicago so close, the answer is probably Milwaukee.

-Which has better shopping? Pretty similar. Chicago's closeness, again, is an advantage.

-Which has better food? Denver. But again - Chicago's closeness is an advantage.

-Which one has a generally more friendly atmosphere? Milwaukee, but it's close.

-Which one has better public transport? I hate driving and would like to do it as little as possible. Denver, no question. Milwaukee has a bus system, but Denver's light rail and bus system is more extensive.

-Which feels more dense and urban? Denver.

-Whatever else I should know... Milwaukee's a pleasant enough city in its own right, but a lot of its advantages are the fact that it's so close to Chicago, which is one of the best cities in the country in my opinion. It has a gorgeous system of bike trails, a fantastic art museum, and the lakefront, as well as multiple festivals that are a lot of fun, and there are neighborhoods like the Third Ward that are great. Denver's better, in my opinion - more neighborhoodly, more urban, better weather - even despite Denver's relative isolation from other cities, unlike Milwaukee. They're both nice cities, but personally I think Denver wins out in the comparison.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:52 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
-Which city is better for gays and other alternative culture? Honestly, neither of them really stick out.
-Which has better beer (I know both cities are known for this, especially Milwaukee). I would say Milwaukee, and Chicago is near by.
-Which has better universities? I'm looking to study arts and foreign language. I would have to give it to Milwaukee based on number and reputation.
-Which has better nightlife? I know Milwaukee may have an advantage with Chicago being a short distance away. I don't see that here would be much of a difference.
-Which has better shopping? Same as above, but Milwaukee is near Chicago.
-Which has better food? Milwaukee.
-Which one has a generally more friendly atmosphere? I don't think that either are bad.
-Which one has better public transport? I hate driving and would like to do it as little as possible. Maybe Denver, but Milwaukee is much more dense so Milwaukee would probably be easier to get around in.
-Which feels more dense and urban? Milwaukee.
Denver is better if you want to do outdoorsy things, otherwise I would suggest Milwaukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City