Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,136 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm trying to decide where I want to move to and am having a hard time with the decision and would love any feedback and advice!

About me: 24 years old, single, graphic designer, agnostic, fairly liberal, love animals, vegetarian, not very athletic or outdoorsy (I enjoy sailing, tubing, rafting, swimming holes / passive-type outdoors over big hikes, skiing, rock climbing etc) but adventurous...I enjoy going on adventures and trying new things, from bungee jumping to cooking classes to curling up with a good book. I was born in New Zealand, grew up in Raleigh, went to school in Florida, lived abroad in Melbourne, Australia, and have done a lot of traveling.

What I'm looking for: a vibrant, fun environment with lots to do (new events, festivals, groups, etc), preferably on or near water, not overly cold like Chicago or Boston, open-minded community that leans left over right, Eco-friendly, lots of great food & smoothie/granola bowl/etc type places, cultural & artsy, sunshine

Don't want: anywhere overly conservative or religious, too expensive, very suburban/kids & family oriented, long miserable winters, flashy club vibe like Vegas or Miami, overcrowded, grimy/dirty cities

I'm currently focusing on Denver or Austin, but would be open to other suggestions as well (also have been considering Alexandria or Phoenix). On the job hunt, my friends are spread around and I have one best friend who recently moved to Denver, no friends in Austin, and my parents are located in Raleigh.

Wow I know that was a lot, but wanted to put the full picture out there haha thank you so much in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 01:53 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,900,657 times
All other things aside, if you prefer water to mountains/hiking you probably won't like Denver. Kayaking, rafting, and fishing dominate what little water we have available.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:34 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,109,315 times
Both Austin and Denver can be quite expensive especially in the places that aren't "family-oriented," do you have significant savings or a job lined up in either place? Central Austin is a liberal place "for Texas" but we are blueberry in a deep red cheery pie. Texas is still Texas. Definitely visit first. Plenty of sunshine here but our summers can be long and brutal, not everyone can cope.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:41 PM

719 posts, read 988,116 times
I've lived in Austin and found it to be awful, with horrendous traffic, a totally insufficient mass transit system, and boring local scenery (the hill country is vastly overrated). Moreover, due to the political stigma, anyone within spitting distance of the city hates you the moment they hear you're from there.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:36 PM

5,363 posts, read 5,141,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_adaire View Post
Hi everyone! I'm trying to decide where I want to move to and am having a hard time with the decision and would love any feedback and advice!

About me: 24 years old, single, graphic designer, agnostic, fairly liberal, love animals, vegetarian, not very athletic or outdoorsy (I enjoy sailing, tubing, rafting, swimming holes / passive-type outdoors over big hikes, skiing, rock climbing etc) but adventurous...I enjoy going on adventures and trying new things, from bungee jumping to cooking classes to curling up with a good book. I was born in New Zealand, grew up in Raleigh, went to school in Florida, lived abroad in Melbourne, Australia, and have done a lot of traveling.

What I'm looking for: a vibrant, fun environment with lots to do (new events, festivals, groups, etc), preferably on or near water, not overly cold like Chicago or Boston, open-minded community that leans left over right, Eco-friendly, lots of great food & smoothie/granola bowl/etc type places, cultural & artsy, sunshine

Don't want: anywhere overly conservative or religious, too expensive, very suburban/kids & family oriented, long miserable winters, flashy club vibe like Vegas or Miami, overcrowded, grimy/dirty cities

I'm currently focusing on Denver or Austin, but would be open to other suggestions as well (also have been considering Alexandria or Phoenix). On the job hunt, my friends are spread around and I have one best friend who recently moved to Denver, no friends in Austin, and my parents are located in Raleigh.

Wow I know that was a lot, but wanted to put the full picture out there haha thank you so much in advance!!
Based on this, I wouldn't pick Denver. It's awful for water activities, except rafting. It's definitely more geared towards the rock climbing group than the botchie ball group. It's more expensive and not as nice of housing compared to Raleigh, traffic on the roads can really make it feel overcrowded and downtown is kinda rough and grimy as you hop over homeless people to get where you want to be.

Denver does have a strong single vs family vibe and granola type mentality, is left leaning, and isn't very flashy/cluby, and is sunny. It does have pretty long winters though, even if they aren't that miserable.

IDK about Austin.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:44 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,231,551 times
They are similar cities visit both please for a weekend and then decide. P.S. The traffic in Austin is horrendous.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:44 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_adaire View Post

I would add Portland and Seattle to your list of places to consider in addition to Austin and Denver.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:39 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,430,240 times
I know Austin traffic is bad, but my buddies in Denver also say the traffic is getting horrendous there. With that said, the bus system is supposed to be decent

Old 07-19-2016, 04:07 PM

54 posts, read 64,105 times
Miami's startup activity is booming, second to Austin according to the Kauffman index.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:28 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
I think Miami sounds like a good fit. Or Austin, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City