Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
There is no San Diego CSA designation.
Ok, then replace San Diego with Tampa or Portland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:15 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Orlando to tampa maybe?
Chicago and milwaukee suburbs seem to connect so geographically speaking those two
D.C and baltimore are connected and they rely on each other ecnomically
No one will probably mention this but, boston and providence csa's seem to be connected geographically, economically and culturally. Its like providence is a mini boston except you know not in massachusetts

WNY's cities seem to be the same cities in every way.
Denver and Colorado Springs are economically connected i know that much.

Thats all i can think of right now
Do tell.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Do tell.
I asked my friend in the DC-Baltimore area this:

1) Are there any Nats fans who live in Baltimore, and any Oriole fans left in DC?
2) Are there still any Redskins fans who live in or around Baltimore, or has the whole area turned into Ravens territory? Are there any Ravens fans in the DC area (at least any more than the transplanted team fans, such as Cowboys, Eagles, Steelers, etc.)?
3) Do people in Baltimore cheer for the Wizards?
4) Do people in Baltimore cheer for the Capitals?

I use sports as a good gauge of how connected an area is because it speaks to the culture of the area, especially in a sports crazy area such as the I-95 corridor.

I know that you guys share MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) that covers all DC-Baltimore sports teams, but what do the local networks usually cover?

It's sort of rare out West that a 'CSA' has two different media markets within it, but seems a bit more common back east. Boston-Providence and DC-Baltimore are two I can think of off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are others.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I asked my friend in the DC-Baltimore area this:

1) Are there any Nats fans who live in Baltimore, and any Oriole fans left in DC?
2) Are there still any Redskins fans who live in or around Baltimore, or has the whole area turned into Ravens territory? Are there any Ravens fans in the DC area (at least any more than the transplanted team fans, such as Cowboys, Eagles, Steelers, etc.)?
3) Do people in Baltimore cheer for the Wizards?
4) Do people in Baltimore cheer for the Capitals?

I use sports as a good gauge of how connected an area is because it speaks to the culture of the area, especially in a sports crazy area such as the I-95 corridor.

I know that you guys share MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) that covers all DC-Baltimore sports teams, but what do the local networks usually cover?

It's sort of rare out West that a 'CSA' has two different media markets within it, but seems a bit more common back east. Boston-Providence and DC-Baltimore are two I can think of off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are others.
1. I haven't seen any Nationals fans in the Baltimore area. Everyone I know is a Orioles fan. Some people, like myself, wear fitted hats for fashion, but don't care about any baseball team.

2. You'll rarely find a redskins ran in Baltimore. You're way more likely to find Steelers, Patriots and Eagles fans than Redskins fans. But Baltimore bleeds purple.

3. Hell no! People in Baltimore know just as much about the wizards and any other city does. Celtics seem to be the team of choice here. It's not our team so we don't pay attention to whats goes on down there.

4. I doubt it. Same as everything else, we consider DC and it's teams to be foreign just like any other city.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:33 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Do tell.
Baltimore and DC have separate markets, but the cities are definitely well-connected. I live in Montgomery County and it takes me less time now to drive to downtown Baltimore than it takes me to drive to downtown DC, Alexandria or Annapolis. That's one of the benefits of having the ICC since last year.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM

23 posts, read 55,740 times
I’m a Ravens/O’s fan who lives in DC. There is still a large O’s fans base in the DC area. The football fan base is pretty much divided; not going to find too many Ravens fans in DC and vice versa. One interesting fact I’ve notice is a lot of the Redskins fans I know root for the Ravens as their second team. The Baltimore/DC metros are well connected. Whoever said there is nothing (or little) in between the two cities has never visited the area. Anne Arundel, Howard, Montgomery and PG counties contains several cities and incorporated areas that connect the two cities. Hell, some of the counties I’ve listed are share by the two MSA’s.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Raleigh/Cary MSA: 1,163,515 + Durham/Chapel Hill MSA: 512,979 + Dunn Micropolitan area: 119,256 = Raleigh/Durham/Cary CSA

The two MSAs (especially) are VERY interconnected to the point that I still don't think it makes sense to have them as two MSAs to begin with.

1. The central employment center and economic hub is in RTP (Research Triangle Park), which spans into both MSAs geographically and is affiliated with three universities in both MSAs.
2. The CSA is served by one Airport that calls out both Raleigh and Durham and is generally equidistant between the two core cities' DTs.
3. 1 TV market with no overlapping affiliates (1 ABC, 1 CBS, 1 NBC, 1 Fox, 1 PBS): 3 in Raleigh/Cary and 2 in Durham/Chapel Hill. However, ABC in Durham has its transmitting tower in the Raleigh MSA.
4. Durham city limits cross into the Raleigh/Cary MSA, Raleigh's city limits cross into the Durham/Chapel Hill MSA and Cary's limits cross into the Durham/Chapel Hill MSA

This is the most interconnected of the CSA's that I have seen.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Census boundaries and delinations can be odd at times. They are formulaic but sometimes historic boundaries have significant commuter impacts. I guess they attempt to best normalize and some areas make less common sense.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Why does the OP have two active threads (this one included) that are basically asking the same thing?

Old 10-02-2012, 03:02 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Why does the OP have two active threads (this one included) that are basically asking the same thing?
ssshhhhh They are pushing the CSA agenda

don't tell anyone. Its a massive brainwashing campaign. Keep it hush hush
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City