Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area would be best for me?
Boston 16 59.26%
Orlando 8 29.63%
Neither; stay in CT 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:36 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

I am currently living near Hartford, CT and interested in leaving for a new metro area. I'm a 28 year old gay white male. After years of thinking and exploring various cities across the country, I now have it reduced down to just two cities. Boston and Orlando. I'm having a hard time deciding, so I need your help. I have been to both of them; most recently Boston and will be visiting Orlando next week to check it out. So here is a list of what I like, dislike and want in a place...
  • The only season I like is summer; I really can't stand cold weather for extended periods of time.
  • I have a master's degree in accounting and need access to good job opportunities.
  • I want an area with a large, rather young (ages 25-35) gay population.
  • Prefer to live in a safe, middle class or affluent area, with other educated people.
  • Need a reasonable cost of living; one of my goals is to purchase a starter home within the next couple of years.
  • Prefer a suburban style city over an urban style city; I love driving a car everywhere.
  • I love the outdoors and enjoy things like hiking, beach, etc.
  • I prefer a moderate or slow paced lifestyle.
  • I'm an independent politically, but lean liberal.
So which metro area do you think suits me better?

Thanks

Last edited by nep321; 10-18-2012 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 09:48 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
Given your criteria, you should reconsider your options. Orlando isn’t known as an “affluent area, with … educated people” and Boston isn’t known for “a reasonable cost of living.” There are others cities that would fit you better. Maybe Austin, Atlanta or Southern California?

Old 10-18-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Given your criteria, you should reconsider your options. Orlando isn’t known as an “affluent area, with … educated people” and Boston isn’t known for “a reasonable cost of living.” There are others cities that would fit you better. Maybe Austin, Atlanta or Southern California?
No. I don't want any of those. Texas just doesn't appeal to me...I'm not into the southern culture, nor am I interested in living in a red state. And Atlanta is more of a black gay population (no offense, just not what I'm looking for). SoCal is very expensive and the weather is too mild and boring. Trust me, I already thought this through with numerous cities across the nation.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:09 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
There are far more white gay guys in Atlanta than black .... just saying. And many of them are very success / career driven. Have you been to ATL? It matches most every criteria you are looking for. No lie.

Most of Orlando's gays work for Disney (or similar) and hang at the Parliament House -- or worse, Hanks. There's no "professional gay" crowd there that I've ever seen.

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-19-2012 at 02:18 AM..

Old 10-19-2012, 05:27 AM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
I have lived in both cities, thoughts are below.

- The only season I like is summer; I really can't stand cold weather for extended periods of time.
This would obviously favor Orlando and immediately disqualify Boston. Orlando's Summers are long, hot and humid.
- I have a master's degree in accounting and need access to good job opportunities.
Boston has a lower unemployment rate, higher wages and better job opportunities overall. I am a CPA/CMA as well and job opportunities for all types of accounting jobs are better in Boston, bottom line. Orlando has seen many challenges economically during and post recession.
- I want an area with a large, rather young (ages 25-35) gay population.
Both are pretty gay friendly, but the gay population is more visible in Boston by far. Also keep in mind Massachusetts as a State is more gay friendly than Florida (ie: Gay Marriage, LGBT protection bills) But Florida is not some backward anti gay State by any means but Mass is more progressive on this issue. [*]Prefer to live in a safe, middle class or affluent area, with other educated people.
- Need a reasonable cost of living; one of my goals is to purchase a starter home within the next couple of years.
Orlando by far. Real Estate costs in Boston are outrageous. Because of the housing crash there are some incredible housing deals to be had in Central Florida. Even at the height of the boom it was more reasonable to buy a home in Orlando than Boston.
- Prefer a suburban style city over an urban style city; I love driving a car everywhere.
Orlando again. It is a sprawling, suburban city with a pretty small downtown. Boston is urban and public transportation or walking is the preferred method of transportation. I guess you could live in a suburb of Boston though, but even the inner suburbs of Boston are less car centric than even living downtown Orlando.
- I love the outdoors and enjoy things like hiking, beach, etc.
Both have solid outdoor activities. The beaches nearby both are very nice, but of course you can enjoy Florida's year round. Hiking trails are definitely more prevalent in Massachusetts and New England in general though. Another plus for New England is access to the mountains.
- I prefer a moderate or slow paced lifestyle.
Orlando is definitely more laid back and slow paced. Boston is fast paced and very urban.
- I'm an independent politically, but lean liberal.
Orlando is pretty moderate politically, you find pockets of both. Boston is hard core democrat and Liberal.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:53 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am currently living near Hartford, CT and interested in leaving for a new metro area. I'm a 28 year old gay white male. After years of thinking and exploring various cities across the country, I now have it reduced down to just two cities. Boston and Orlando. I'm having a hard time deciding, so I need your help. I have been to both of them; most recently Boston and will be visiting Orlando next week to check it out. So here is a list of what I like, dislike and want in a place...So which metro area do you think suits me better?

Thanks
  • The only season I like is summer; I really can't stand cold weather for extended periods of time.
  • Orlando will have better weather given it is a warmer climate than Boston.
  • I have a master's degree in accounting and need access to good job opportunities.
  • Boston has a better economy and will offer better opportunities for an Accountant.
  • I want an area with a large, rather young (ages 25-35) gay population.
  • Don't know a lot about Orlando's Gay population, but Boston would fit the bill in this regard. There is a big Gay population and the state is very gay friendly when compared to other states.
  • Prefer to live in a safe, middle class or affluent area, with other educated people.
  • Boston has a larger educated population than Orlando. Both areas will offer middle class or affluent areas.
  • Need a reasonable cost of living; one of my goals is to purchase a starter home within the next couple of years.
  • In general, Orlando will have a lower COL. However, you can certainly find areas of the city and metro area where you can find deals and reasonably priced houses/apartments.
  • Prefer a suburban style city over an urban style city; I love driving a car everywhere..
  • Boston is a lot more urban than Orlando. But there are nearby cities that will give a more suburban feel. Quincy and Newton are examples near Boston.
  • I love the outdoors and enjoy things like hiking, beach, etc.
  • Boston is the better option. Yes it is warmer in Orlando, but the variety of terrain in and around Boston and bearby is a lot better. You could hit the Cape and Island, or Southern Rhode Island (a short drive away) in the Spring and Summer. And the mountains of western Mass, or Maine and New Hampshire in the Fall and Winter.
  • I prefer a moderate or slow paced lifestyle.
  • In general, Orlando will probably offer a slower pace of life. Then again, it will depend heavily upon what company you work for and other work related factors.
  • I'm an independent politically, but lean liberal.
  • Boston can be very liberal, depending on where you are. There are also some conservatives as well.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:11 AM

162 posts, read 420,976 times
Go with Boston, you would get more for your money
there than Orlando and Florida.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:13 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
City for each question below the statement.
The only season I like is summer; I really can't stand cold weather for extended periods of time. Orlando, but the summers are BRUTAL
I have a master's degree in accounting and need access to good job opportunities.
Boston
I want an area with a large, rather young (ages 25-35) gay population.
Boston
Prefer to live in a safe, middle class or affluent area, with other educated people.
Boston but for a lot more $
Need a reasonable cost of living; one of my goals is to purchase a starter home within the next couple of years.
Orlando.
Prefer a suburban style city over an urban style city; I love driving a car everywhere.
Orlando by a long shot.
I love the outdoors and enjoy things like hiking, beach, etc.
Both have their their things. Orlando year round you can do things. No mountiains in the area but plenty of lakes, springs and interesting places and the beach about 45mins away. Boston will have more hills and forest.
I prefer a moderate or slow paced lifestyle.
Orlando
I'm an independent politically, but lean liberal.
Boston is liberal Orlando will be more center right.

Go where you can get a job honestly.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
City for each question below the statement.
The only season I like is summer; I really can't stand cold weather for extended periods of time. Orlando, but the summers are BRUTAL
I have a master's degree in accounting and need access to good job opportunities.
Boston
I want an area with a large, rather young (ages 25-35) gay population.
Boston
Prefer to live in a safe, middle class or affluent area, with other educated people.
Boston but for a lot more $
Need a reasonable cost of living; one of my goals is to purchase a starter home within the next couple of years.
Orlando.
Prefer a suburban style city over an urban style city; I love driving a car everywhere.
Orlando by a long shot.
I love the outdoors and enjoy things like hiking, beach, etc.
Both have their their things. Orlando year round you can do things. No mountiains in the area but plenty of lakes, springs and interesting places and the beach about 45mins away. Boston will have more hills and forest.
I prefer a moderate or slow paced lifestyle.
Orlando
I'm an independent politically, but lean liberal.
Boston is liberal Orlando will be more center right.

Go where you can get a job honestly.
I am actually sick of my job controlling where I live. I would prefer to choose where to live first, then find a job there.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:22 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,252 times
I don't think you should move anytime soon until you really figure out where you want to move. Within a week and a half, you created threads stating you were moving to Phoenix for sure, then Orlando for sure, and now Boston is somehow in the mix even though you've mentioned you hate cold weather.

I'm not trying to criticize you, just saying you really should take the time to figure out where you want to be before you make a decision on the whim and regret your move greatly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City