Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most like Los Angeles?
Austin 12 3.88%
Denver 18 5.83%
Raleigh 5 1.62%
Atlanta 69 22.33%
Washington DC 6 1.94%
Charlotte 5 1.62%
El Paso 17 5.50%
San Antonio 19 6.15%
Colorado Springs 7 2.27%
Miami 151 48.87%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM

507 posts, read 807,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
From an infill perspective, it seems like Houston is about where LA was in the 70s or 80s.
I disagree, LA was much more dense and infilled by then, than how Houston is now, especially if we're talking the LA basin side of Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 02:47 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Now this, I can agree with this statement.

Houston is growing faster & has a better economy than LA did then though.

Milken is a Santa Monica, California based think tank & recently rated Houston as the 4th best performing major US city. Notice LA not even on the list!!!

NorCal > SoCal according to the Milken Institute

2012 Best-Performing Cities - 200 Largest Metros
I guess you missed that little scroll bar to the right didn't you?

Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 PM

507 posts, read 807,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm not saying it's not built up but it lacks a nice urban form that is found in more traditional, older cities.

A perfect example is all the dingbat apartments built in the 1960' and 1970's that replaced single family homes.
All I said was LA was the 2nd densest city in the country, then you jump in out of nowhere and through in some hater comments, what does my original post have anything to do with built environment when it wasn't even directed at you?

Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
All I said was LA was the 2nd densest city in the country, then you jump in out of nowhere and through in some hater comments, what does my original post have anything to do with built environment when it wasn't even directed at you?
Well I still don't agree it's the second densest city in the country OVERALL and I made a comment about it's built environment not really reflecting that density, so what? And why are you responding to my previous comment about urban form when it wasn't directed at you nor was it responding to anything you said? You jump in and respond to people that were never talking to you all the time, so why are you getting your panties in a bunch about it?

Old 02-07-2013, 02:54 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
Now this, I can agree with this statement.

Houston is growing faster & has a better economy than LA did then though.

Milken is a Santa Monica, California based think tank & recently rated Houston as the 4th best performing major US city. Notice LA not even on the list!!!

NorCal > SoCal

2012 Best-Performing Cities - 200 Largest Metros
Um, no. L.A. County was at Harris County's current population (4.1 million or so) in 1950. In the ensuing decade it grew by an astounding 45%, surpassing 6 million. It will take Harris County 15-20 years to hit 6 million at current growth rates.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
LA's core density can match Chicago and San Francisco, then it pulls away because its denser over a larger area.

btw, I lived in Miami for a few months once and I know LA well and I'm not seeing enough similarities to why it would have over 60 votes on the poll...
Looking at the other choices on the poll, I guess El Paso and San Antonio would almost make as much sense as Miami, and maybe Atlanta. But other than that, Some of Miami's neighborhoods look like a spitting image of some of LA's neighborhoods in the basin, near South Central at street level. I guess Miami most resembles LA than the other cities at street level.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:03 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,991,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Looking at the other choices on the poll, I guess El Paso and San Antonio would almost make as much sense as Miami, and maybe Atlanta. But other than that, Some of Miami's neighborhoods look like a spitting image of some of LA's neighborhoods in the basin, near South Central at street level. I guess Miami most resembles LA than the other cities at street level.
That's true. Miami is likely the best option on the poll.

Best option would be Miami and Houston combined IMO.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,585,042 times
Quote:
I was specifically referring to the LA Basin
So you are not taking the entire city of Los Angeles into account. You are basically saying "take away the hilly sections of the city and its just as flat as Houston and Miami." That doesn't compute.

Dodger Stadium sits on a hill. Griffith Park is full of hills. The Getty Museum sits on a hill. Topanga state park sits in the hills. West Los Angeles colleges sits in the hills. Universal City Walk is in the hills. How can many of the city's iconic locations be located on top of hills, or nestled in the middle of hills if the city is flat?

Old 02-07-2013, 03:06 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm not saying it's not built up but it lacks a nice urban form that is found in more traditional, older cities.

A perfect example is all the dingbat apartments built in the 1960' and 1970's that replaced single family homes.
I don't see how that is any less urban than say, a triple decker in Boston or a single family rowhouse in San Francisco. Sure it has like 4 parking spots in front but is that really all that detrimental?

I've stated this before but I have a lot of love for dingbats.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:09 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Los Angeles is, by most measures, the second most densely populated city in the U.S.

Unless Memph from the urban planning board was off (and I doubt it; dudes a machine), there were 1.9 million L.A. residents living in census tracts above 20,000 ppsm, well ahead of #3 Chicago (1.1 million) and Philadelphia (900k or so).

L.A. has 6.6 million residents living in census tracts above 10,000 ppsm. Only New York, with a absurd 10+ million residents above 10,000 ppsm, had more.

L.A. is San Francisco density and topography spread out on Miami''s urban footprint...and even that doesn't quite work. Haha.

As far as the L.A. look, I like it and prefer it. It's not for everyone, but I personally lament nothing (although the Purple and Pink lines would be nice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City