Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most like Los Angeles?
Austin 12 3.88%
Denver 18 5.83%
Raleigh 5 1.62%
Atlanta 69 22.33%
Washington DC 6 1.94%
Charlotte 5 1.62%
El Paso 17 5.50%
San Antonio 19 6.15%
Colorado Springs 7 2.27%
Miami 151 48.87%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 03:59 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Those unpopulated areas are geographical realities though. Density is population over square miles. If there are square miles in between it's no longer dense. There's no difference to me between a sparsley developed large hill in LA with big houses and a ghetto area of chicago with empty buildings. They both take up physical space and bring down density. Unless the areas are cohesive density stats don't matter anymore.
Okay, but at 225 contigous sq miles (CHI's city limits), or 300 sq miles (NYC's city limits), Los Angeles would still trail only New York in density among major U.S. cities.

What I like about census tracts is that it eliminates the "Boston is denser than Chicago" style arguments that are so prevalent on these boards. Boston is NOT denser than Chicago overall, it only appears that way because its city limits are 48 sq miles, less than a 1/4 of Chicago's. The larger the land area, the harder it is to maintain a high ppsm (more suburbs incorporated).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 04:00 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Are they really narrower? The ones I see in LA especially for buildings with rear parking are incredibly tight, not sure it is possible to make them more narrow and still be functional.

sunset san francisco - Google Maps
hollywood, ca - Google Maps
When compared to the Sunset District probably not, when compared to the older, denser parts of SF definitely.

Google Maps

Also when building go right up to the sidewalk like that, it feels and looks more urban.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:01 PM

484 posts, read 872,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
None. Leave it at that.

Don't know why people become so obsessed with being like another when they haven't even reached their own potential yet (Miami, Houston, Phoenix).

Also like someone else mentioned, San Diego is very much different than Los Angeles. Culturally, it feels more like a mix of midwest and California, with a subtle international flair to it.

Don't know why in hell Washington DC is on the poll.
^ This. Just stop, folks.

No city is like, or even "most like" Los Angeles. And not one city is like another city. Every city is unique.

LA is unique because of its urban and cosmopolitan nature surrounded by very diverse geographic features, all within city and county limits.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:06 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
When compared to the Sunset District probably not, when compared to the older, denser parts of SF definitely.

Google Maps

Also when building go right up to the sidewalk like that, it feels and looks more urban.
I looked at that Google Map. Still looks about the same width to me.
Google Maps

Old 02-07-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I looked at that Google Map. Still looks about the same width to me.
Google Maps
It's not just about street width either, look at the buildings and set back, or in Sf lack there of.

One block over:
Google Maps

I honestly don't see how anyone could argue there isn't a significant difference in urban form between those shots of SF and LA.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
It's not just about street width either, look at the buildings and set back, or in Sf lack there of.

One block over:
Google Maps
I was talking about the curb cut, not the street width. Yes San Francisco has more narrow streets but generally Central LA's residential streets are not that wide either.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I was talking about the curb cut, not the street width. Yes San Francisco has more narrow streets but generally Central LA's residential streets are not that wide either.
Ok, that's just ONE part of urban form though. What about the rest collectively? Building set backs? Height?

Does that shot of LA really strike you as "urban" as SF?

Old 02-07-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Ok, that's just ONE part of urban form though. What about the rest collectively? Building set backs? Height?

As the Sunset District? It strikes me as significantly more urban. As that downtown-adjacent shot in Chinatown? No.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:

My thing is yes LA is urban it's one the most urban cities in the country, But it's a different type of urban. I was thrown a little off by LA has the old school urbanity like SF comment. They represent two different ages. LA roads are wider and some buildings are set back but for miles LA is dominated by multi family units it's more modern and post modern.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
My thing is yes LA is urban it's one the most urban cities in the country, But it's a different type of urban. I was thrown a little off by LA has the old school urbanity like SF comment. They represent two different ages. LA roads are wider and some buildings are set back but for miles LA is dominated by multi family units it's more modern and post modern.
I was mostly speaking about the inner districts (i.e. downtown and some of the buildings in Westlake and Koreatown) of Los Angeles. Which is why I didn't say San Francisco was the most like LA.

What I said was to me, SF + SD + MIA is what I would think of when describing the elements of what makes LA, LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City