Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times

Advertisements

I see nothing wrong with any race liking a certain city better than others ,but I dont see it beeing so true as some would have you believe in Atlanta.Espoecially when facts don't support it.Atlanta is just as popular with whites as it is with blacks.(at least before the housing crisis).Yet some people say this is true.Yet D.C is very similar in its pattern of growth and demographics .I know the whole black mecca thing about Atlanta but D.C. is still known by many as Chocolate city.Just as many whites move to Atlanta as they do in D.C.Same is true for blacks so why this not spoken when it comes to D.C.?

Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
I hate these terms.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
The black population percentage in Washington DC is shrinking. They are no longer the majority racial group in the city. I wouldn't necessarily call Washington DC a "Black Mecca".

Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The black population percentage in Washington DC is shrinking. They are no longer the majority racial group in the city. I wouldn't necessarily call Washington DC a "Black Mecca".
Well this is also true for Atlanta.The black population is very comparable in both cities.Hence the uestion asked?Why do I hear this from many whites on this board that feel this way?

Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I hate these terms.
What terms?What do you mean?Please elaborate.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:00 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well this is also true for Atlanta.The black population is very comparable in both cities.Hence the uestion asked?Why do I hear this from many whites on this board that feel this way?
Here is the big difference. African Americans are not moving to the DC MSA in droves like they are compared to the Atlanta MSA. The black population for the Atlanta MSA increased 43.6% over the past 10 years(2000-2010 census). You can't say the same about the DC area which has been on a slight decline in it's black population.

Demographics of Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Washington Metropolitan Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-20-2012, 12:00 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,007,752 times
DC is old news. Georgia, specifically the Atlanta area, has a growing film industry and is the homebase for many black celebrities and people trying to restart their music and film careers. The city also has a thriving black middle and upper class and is MUCH MUCH cheaper than DC. The weather in Atlanta is much nicer, the entire metropolitan area is more laid back, and Atlanta is home to several HBCUs that attract students who end up staying in metro Atlanta.

DC is just a governmental center with an HBCU. The middle class in DC is mainly derived from people in government jobs. With the economy the way that it is, government jobs are becoming more and more scarce, meaning a declining DC black middle class. DC doesn't have the entertainment industry of Atlanta. DC used to be the place back in the 1970s, but no more. It is a dull, roll up the city at 5 PM kind of place. Atlanta is better for young black professionals.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Here is the big difference. African Americans are not moving to the DC MSA in droves like they are compared to the Atlanta MSA. The black population for the Atlanta MSA increased 43.6% over the past 10 years(2000-2010 census). You can't say the same about the DC area which has been on a slight decline in it's black population.

Good points,but I was looking at the actual populations of the ccentral city cores..I was mostly refering to the city propers.Not the suburbs.

Quote:
Atlanta's loss of blacks tripled since 2000 to almost 30,000. The percentage of blacks in the city shrank to 53% from 61%. But in Atlanta's vast metropolitan area, the black population soared 40% to 1.7 million, a clear indication that many spread out to suburban counties. The Atlanta region has the second-largest black population after New York
Which still doesnt make sense that this is reference to the suburbs where blacks only make up around 32%.Why would it be better for blacks than whites which make up at least almost 65%?The white population is not growing as fast but it is still growing.Not to mention Asians and other groups are in most cases are growing double or in some case tripple the growth of blacks .

Atlanta the city is becoming less black as evidenced in all the talk surrounding the last Mayors election.Atlanta is now less than 55% black.Atlanta at 61% was still less black than D.C. back then.)(2000's)Neck and neck back then with D.C..Down from 61% in 2000 and now around 52%.Still neck and neck.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:10 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:

What an interesting post. +1

Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
DC is old news. Georgia, specifically the Atlanta area, has a growing film industry and is the homebase for many black celebrities and people trying to restart their music and film careers. The city also has a thriving black middle and upper class and is MUCH MUCH cheaper than DC. The weather in Atlanta is much nicer, the entire metropolitan area is more laid back, and Atlanta is home to several HBCUs that attract students who end up staying in metro Atlanta.

DC is just a governmental center with an HBCU. The middle class in DC is mainly derived from people in government jobs. With the economy the way that it is, government jobs are becoming more and more scarce, meaning a declining DC black middle class. DC doesn't have the entertainment industry of Atlanta. DC used to be the place back in the 1970s, but no more. It is a dull, roll up the city at 5 PM kind of place. Atlanta is better for young black professionals.
DC does not get dead 5pm DC is much more of a 24 hour city than ATL is...

Atlanta is country....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.