Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would be better for me?
Austin 19 51.35%
Houston 18 48.65%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 12:00 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Its extremely far from boring. Austinites are more laid back than the other Texas cities, but the city is not in the least boring.
While Austin may not be boring, its certainly not a bustling metropolis of over 6 million people from every corner of the globe like Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 12:06 AM

46 posts, read 47,983 times
Quote:
Its extremely far from boring. Austinites are more laid back than the other Texas cities, but the city is not in the least boring.
Most stuck up is a better way of putting it. IMO, Houston is the most laid back city in Texas.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieExtraordinaire View Post
Most stuck up is a better way of putting it. IMO, Houston is the most laid back city in Texas.
Yeah Austin is pretty White & can be stuck up with those yuppies moving in from Cali.

Its still not that diverse yet.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
It just comes down to what's most important. Montrose and Oak Lawn in Dallas almost feel like small towns in a big city, and both offer superior nightlife. If you find a job close, you will never have to get on the busy highways. I would pick Dallas or Houston over Austin but life is faster paced in both compared to Austin. However, traffic is way worse in Austin. Personally, I think adjusting to an urban environment is better than being bored.
Austin caters to nightlife and the party culture a lot more so than Houston. Yes, Houston is way larger and offers more variety but where Houston fails is quality. For a city her size, Houston's nightlife has been a real disappointment in just about every area I tried. I'll keep trying, but I shouldn't have to look this hard is more my point. While Austin isn't my scene, it sounds like it's his, so I think he'll get a better time out of it.

Haven't partied in Dallas but I heard good things.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieExtraordinaire View Post
So far, it doesn't seem like Austin is the one with the 'stuck up' issue.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yeah Austin is pretty White & can be stuck up with those yuppies moving in from Cali.

Its still not that diverse yet.
And I don't understand what it is with everyone trying to characterize Austin as bleach white. Whites don't even break the 50% mark in Austin. Plus, this is not the criteria that was given by the OP. By the OP's criteria, Austin wins hands down.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
And I don't understand what it is with everyone trying to characterize Austin as bleach white. Whites don't even break the 50% mark in Austin. Plus, this is not the criteria that was given by the OP. By the OP's criteria, Austin wins hands down.
It's mostly the music scene that does it. All that indy rock I'd like Austin if there were some bars that played some stuff I could actually get into. The problem I've been having with Houston lately is that a lot of the better places are shutting down or have few people inside. Too work driven. I think Dallas is a happy medium in that regard but I gotta explore it.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
68.3% of Austin is White.

Decent Hispanic & Asian numbers, poor Black numbers. A Black in Austin would feel out of their element.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
68.3% of Austin is White.

Decent Hispanic & Asian numbers, poor Black numbers. A Black in Austin would feel out of their element.
That number includes Hispanic-Whites. The Non-Hispanic Whites number is 48.7%. Way to once again pushing misleading numbers even when you know its not the entire picture.

Not to mention Austin has the highest share of Asians in the entire southern United States.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:52 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Quote:
And Austin has the highest share of Asians in the southern United States.
Not really. That would be Washington for those that think we're in the South & Houston for those that see Washington as Northeast. If you want to get technical with city proper only, then Sugar Land (a suburb of Houston) kills everyone else in the South for Asians as a percent of population in the Southern United States.

I've lived in Austin, after my internship is up in Washington next month I'll be back in Austin for my final semester, and then back to Washington permanently. There are Asians in Austin but it's concentrated near UT & Downtown and surrounding enclaves off Riverside or down Guadalupe. Houston crushes Austin all around for ethnic everything. Chinatown in Austin is a massive joke for us Asians, it's one strip mall complex with 2 grocery stores and like 7 restaurants. Nothing on the 2 Chinatowns, 1 Little Saigon, 1 Little India, 1 Persian Corridor, 1 Arab enclave, 1 Koreatown, & scattered but numerous Mexican, Guatemalen, Costa Rican, El Salvadoran, Colombian, Venezuelan areas in Houston.

Asian Population as a comparator:
Austin-Round Rock-Marble Falls, TX: 101,255 (5.5%)
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX: 446,209 (7.2%)

Another thing, Austin's Non-Hispanic Caucasian population is 76% (without Hispanic Whites) & 78% Hispanic White. Compared to 65% & 67% for Houston.

Source: United States Government, Census Bureau

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 11-23-2012 at 01:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City