Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:35 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,567 times

Advertisements

Thinking of travelling to Chicago or NYC this summer. Went to NYC last summer over the 4th of July weekend to see a few Jays games and check out the ESB etc. Did most of the mainstream touristy things but missed out on a lot of other stuff. I was there only for a few days.

I'm debating whether I should visit Chicago this summer or go back to NY again and really visit and experience the things I had missed out on last year. If I were to visit Chicago instead, what would it have to offer that New York can't?

Btw, I've never been to Chicago before and I've only been to NYC once which was only for a few days. I'm also only 20 so any drinking/clubbing would be out of the question I guess.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:13 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Except for the fact they both have a lot of tall buildings and are large cities - Chicago and New York are extremely different places. I always hear "well Chicago is just like a small New York". It's smaller, but there's really not a lot that makes the cities twins in any way.

Chicago really revolves around the waterfront more, its streets tend to be a little wider and the alleys are a huge difference. Chicago's driveways, garages, garbage and utilities are all hidden away in a network of thousands of miles of alleys that basically run behind every street in the city.

This thread is just going to turn into people crying over "which city is better" anyway. To each their own. Some like Chicago better, others like New York, some hate both of them and some love both of them. It's all personal opinion. I've been to NYC dozens of times, the most recent just a few weeks ago, and while I truely LOVE the city, I just prefer to live in Chicago.

Chicago is certainly a city of neighborhoods. Chicago neighborhoods are more like 100 dense little towns that are smashed together to form "Chicago".

Old 07-06-2011, 12:50 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Except for the fact they both have a lot of tall buildings and are large cities - Chicago and New York are extremely different places. I always hear "well Chicago is just like a small New York". It's smaller, but there's really not a lot that makes the cities twins in any way.

Chicago really revolves around the waterfront more, its streets tend to be a little wider and the alleys are a huge difference. Chicago's driveways, garages, garbage and utilities are all hidden away in a network of thousands of miles of alleys that basically run behind every street in the city.

This thread is just going to turn into people crying over "which city is better" anyway. To each their own. Some like Chicago better, others like New York, some hate both of them and some love both of them. It's all personal opinion. I've been to NYC dozens of times, the most recent just a few weeks ago, and while I truely LOVE the city, I just prefer to live in Chicago.

Chicago is certainly a city of neighborhoods. Chicago neighborhoods are more like 100 dense little towns that are smashed together to form "Chicago".
Great post and reps. OP- Two great yet very different cities. I love both cities, but find Chicago more comfortable to live. Both places are worth checking out multiple times. You will enjoy Chicagos waterfront and will be impressed with the architecture (yes, even after going to nyc). There is also some unique food you won't find in nyc (deep dish and Chicago style dogs are the obvious examples), just like there is food in nyc that is unique to nyc. I love adding new places to visit and would probably pick the place I haven't been. You can always revisit places

Old 07-06-2011, 01:13 PM

82 posts, read 90,303 times
They're VERY different cities. I can't think of really any major similarities outside of lots of big buildings, and even then NYC has many times more big buildings.

Both are great, but they aren't really comparable. Chicago looks more like neighboring cities, like Milwaukee or Detroit (but much bigger), and NYC looks more like neighboring cities like Philly or Boston (but, again, much bigger).

Old 07-06-2011, 02:13 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,021 times
nothing.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:24 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
A better NBA team.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:48 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,538 times
Studio rentals near work for less than 2k a month.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:49 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
A better NBA team.
That too

Old 07-06-2011, 03:53 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,355,794 times
I'll step out on a limb here ...

Good pizza.

I simply cannot stand slimy, thin, goopy pizza. Just doesn't do it for me.

People won't call you an a$$hole and bang on your car in the middle of the day in Chicago. Though there are an abundance of clueless drivers to honk at.

Chicago's waterfront is quite nice and meant for parks and historical museums and then there's the inviting beaches.

Less garbage strewn about on the streets smelling everything up.

Cheaper.

And why not visit? You can always go to NYC, why not check out Chicago?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:26 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,639,405 times
I've visited both. You're going to have a great time in either city, but since you've already been to NYC, why not check out Chicago? Chicago's great, especially around this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City