Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 05:45 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Charlotte's metro is larger than the Triad and Triangle and is the leading city for the state.
Ok. But North Carolina isn't defined by Charlotte. There are a lot of cities in North Carolina...which was what I was getting at.

If it were as simple as that, I would've just listed the largest city in each state and would've been done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Charlotte's metro is larger than the Triad and Triangle and is the leading city for the state.
True, but most folks outside of the Carolinas don't think of Charlotte THAT way. Besides, NC is by no means a state defined by one city. Even if we used Charlotte's CSA of 2.4 million, that's still only 25% of NC's total population. IMO, a state that is truly defined by one city must have at least 1/3 (or 33%) of its total population living in or near that particular city. Also, no other city in that state can have 33% or more of the "pie".

In other words, Charlotte simply wouldn't make this list as a NC city. However, Charlotte would make the list as a SC city if the state line was 10 miles north of its current location. Even then, much name recognition would still belong to the older-more historic city of Charleston. So either way it goes, the Carolinas just don't deserve a mention on this thread.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:00 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,886 times
My point wasn't to give the intention Charlotte was North Carolina's defined city because there's more than one. But to say that North Carolina has "too many" metros, when there's only three major, Charlotte is obviously the largest and speaks for the state more than the other two. Charlotte's name is more recognized, when compared to the other major metros.

North Carolina wouldn't be whole without the RTP, which gives Raleigh/Durham majority of it's name after UNC, NCSU and Duke.

Each are just as important as the other, but due to Charlotte being home to more companies, the DNC, NFL, larger metro, location, it is the lead city when there has to be one.

Last edited by fltonc12; 12-11-2012 at 06:10 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
My point wasn't to give the intention Charlotte was North Carolina's defined city because there's more than one. But to say that North Carolina has "too many" metros, when there's only three major, Charlotte is obviously the largest and speaks for the state more than the other two. Charlotte's name is more recognized, when compared to the other major metros.
No it's not; and that's actually a good thing. I'll just leave it at that...

Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
No it's not; and that's actually a good thing. I'll just leave it at that...
Really? What makes one of the others name more widely known than Charlotte's?

Charlotte's name isn't as well known as Atlanta, D.C., ect but it definitely surpasses Raleigh/Durham, Winston and Greensboro.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
I didn't say it had too many metros. I said it had multiple metros "of size" (meaning in the 1 million+ range).

And Charlotte is the largest city/metro in North Carolina, but I think you are overstating it's importance. I don't mean that as a slight. But it's not even to North Carolina what Miami is to Florida.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:07 PM

637 posts, read 1,026,430 times
Colorado.......Denver
New York.......New York City
Illinois..........Chicago
Utah.............Salt Lake City
Washington....Seattle
Kansas...........Kansas City
Georgia..........Atlanta
Maryland.........Baltimore
Indiana..........Indianapolis
Hawaii.............Honolulu

Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burloak View Post
Colorado.......Denver
New York.......New York City
Illinois..........Chicago
Utah.............Salt Lake City
Washington....Seattle
Kansas...........Kansas City
Georgia..........Atlanta
Maryland.........Baltimore
Indiana..........Indianapolis
Hawaii.............Honolulu
I agree with this list somewhat. I question the 3 in bold though. Kansas City is a Missouri city that spills over into Kansas. To call Kansas City the defining city of Kansas is like calling Charlotte the defining city of South Carolina or Cincinnati the defining city of Kentucky. Maryland has tons of DC suburbs; nuff said there. Indianapolis is the "top dog" in Indiana only if we ignore Chicago, Louisville, and Cincinnati (3 cities with Indiana suburbs). I'd add Boston to your list BTW.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I didn't say it had too many metros. I said it had multiple metros "of size" (meaning in the 1 million+ range).

And Charlotte is the largest city/metro in North Carolina, but I think you are overstating it's importance. I don't mean that as a slight. But it's not even to North Carolina what Miami is to Florida.
Obviously you're not understanding my full point.

No, Charlotte does not define North Carolina.
Yes, Charlotte does have a larger significance to the state than the other metros.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
I think a better question for this thread would have been, "What city do you think of first when you hear this state?"

All the states and cities he listed are definitely my first thought when reading them.

While many of those states have several famous cities, the one the OP listed are usually the largest, most well known, and most renowned of the entire state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City