Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Portland 115 49.57%
Philly 117 50.43%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
So because Philly wasn't on your list of places to move to, it suddenly does not compare to Portland give me a break. City-data never ceases to amaze me.
You're not very good at reading are you? When I said the two don't compare I wasn't negating anything from either city, I was saying they're so different that it didn't make sense to compare them. I agree though, posts like yours remind me that City-data never ceases to amaze me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 11:55 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Did he just say Negro? Rofl
I wasn't sober when I typed that lol

Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 PM

274 posts, read 470,244 times
I've changed my mind, even though I love, love the Pearl District and think Philly could take cues from this area, but Center City is way more substantial than Downtown Portland. I'm visiting Philly and wow by its downtown. Philly creams Portland on this!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 AM

287 posts, read 340,683 times
Philly already outclasses the Pearl District. Philly does not need any cues from Portland on how to be a better city. All other cities should learn from Philly instead, and I strongly advise Portland to do so. Also, Portland should quit touting about its light rail, which gets fewer rides than Philly's streetcar lines.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:12 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
I heard Portland isn't very negro friendly and there's a growing racist skinhead population out there, Volksfront I think.
Four racist ex-cons started that group during the 90's. Sounds like a name that the writers of the tv show Grimm would give to a species of Wesen.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:20 PM

11 posts, read 56,869 times
Philly is obviously on another level than Portland when it comes to size, urbanity, and attractions. I wouldn't necessarily say that makes it better though. Where someone grew up, their background, stage in life, what they enjoy to do, etc. has a lot to do with what someone is looking for in a place to live. I live in the Portland area, but come from a smaller Oregon town. I don't see any benefit to Portland over my former small town (Bend, OR) but am here due to family. My point being, even though Philly has a lot more people and is larger, doesn't mean it is more attractive or better to everyone.

I, like a lot of people, are turned off by Philly being gritty, dense, crime ridden, etc. Personally, I don't see how being dense, packed, crowded, more dangerous, is a good thing. Having no parking, and it being very expensive is terrible. Those all seem to be inconveniences to me. I understand people like public transportation, but I am an adult with a family, and like having a vehicle that I can take anywhere without relying on others or public transportation. It amazes me that people down talk having a car and the freedom it gives.

With that said, I pick Portland due to it being smaller, cleaner, safer, closer to nature and it's activities. Keep the crowds and riff raff as far from me as possible! I understand a lot of people enjoy the big city life, but a lot of people don't, which is why a lot of people would prefer Portland over Philly due to the other advantages Portland has.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:30 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
And Portland has less culture, inferior food, a dead downtown, more sprawl, inadequate public transportation, less diversity, no world-class institutions, no good festivals, ...
Lol. lol.

Oh wait ... that wasn't a joke post?

Old 06-18-2013, 11:40 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstc View Post
Philly is obviously on another level than Portland when it comes to size, urbanity, and attractions. I wouldn't necessarily say that makes it better though. Where someone grew up, their background, stage in life, what they enjoy to do, etc. has a lot to do with what someone is looking for in a place to live. I live in the Portland area, but come from a smaller Oregon town. I don't see any benefit to Portland over my former small town (Bend, OR) but am here due to family. My point being, even though Philly has a lot more people and is larger, doesn't mean it is more attractive or better to everyone.

I, like a lot of people, are turned off by Philly being gritty, dense, crime ridden, etc. Personally, I don't see how being dense, packed, crowded, more dangerous, is a good thing. Having no parking, and it being very expensive is terrible. Those all seem to be inconveniences to me. I understand people like public transportation, but I am an adult with a family, and like having a vehicle that I can take anywhere without relying on others or public transportation. It amazes me that people down talk having a car and the freedom it gives.

With that said, I pick Portland due to it being smaller, cleaner, safer, closer to nature and it's activities. Keep the crowds and riff raff as far from me as possible! I understand a lot of people enjoy the big city life, but a lot of people don't, which is why a lot of people would prefer Portland over Philly due to the other advantages Portland has.
Both cities are great for what they have to offer. Though there might be a few similarities between them, you can't really expect cities that are 3,000 miles apart to be very similar. I think it would be very short sighted to expect Portland to have the same amenities as a city like Philadelphia. Though I've only been to Portland once, I will say that the Portland does do pretty well for a city of it's size.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 AM

494 posts, read 804,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
Philly already outclasses the Pearl District. Philly does not need any cues from Portland on how to be a better city. All other cities should learn from Philly instead, and I strongly advise Portland to do so. Also, Portland should quit touting about its light rail, which gets fewer rides than Philly's streetcar lines.

Heck i have been trying to get this small city to take some cues from Philly. Looking at Philly from the 70s/early 80s vs now is mind blowing. I like the way they have done it working from center city on out in every direction. Thing is it hasn't stopped with the improvements and it is now spread out all across the city. Philly is huge so it is not all gonna happen over night but the city is making some incredible strides that others could learn from.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:45 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Heck i have been trying to get this small city to take some cues from Philly. Looking at Philly from the 70s/early 80s vs now is mind blowing. I like the way they have done it working from center city on out in every direction. Thing is it hasn't stopped with the improvements and it is now spread out all across the city. Philly is huge so it is not all gonna happen over night but the city is making some incredible strides that others could learn from.
Especially post industrialized cities that have experienced a long history of suburban flight and urban decline. I'm not sure though if Portland ever experienced suburban flight that resulted in economic decline for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City