Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "small town" culture?
Midwest 38 49.35%
New England 39 50.65%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 AM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
What type of "outdoorsy" activities take pace in New England?
For one, not all of new England is cities. In fact the only major city of new England is Boston. Then Hartford, providence and Bridgeport. After that its a bunch of cities less then 120,000 people. You have miles of coastline, Appalachian trails, forests and so many other things.

New England probably has a better small town identity because many towns in new england are fairly old and compact and retain a certain hertiage of their past ancestry and culture. Also many seem to have more pride in their town then their state. New England probably wins this. Midwestern towns seem to be closely knit communities but they identify with a region or state or politics

Last edited by Amercity; 01-20-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
When it comes to traditional white protestant culture, which of these two regions has a more traditional culture when it comes to "small town" culture?

Attributes

-family
-outdoor activities
-safety
-patriotism
Using the above criteria and also having lived in both New England and the Midwest for 20+ years each there is a slight edge to the Midwest. It is a VERY close call though and depending on where you are comparing in each region could easily swing the answer the other way. Both areas have a strong sense of family, plenty of outdoor activities, are safe, and display Patriotism. It is more dependent on the small towns you are comparing within each region than the regions themselves overall.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Um, tons? Just because New England has a lot of big cities...
New England only has one big city: Boston.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:50 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
I think both the Midwest and New England small towns have plenty of ties to family, safety and patriotism. Maybe (?) some New England small towns have more things to door outdoors, but those are probably the ones near more mountainous areas in NH or VT; there are plenty of outdoor activities in the Midwest...

Old 01-20-2013, 01:59 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,843 times
I voted in this poll and then wished I hadn't after I read the OP. What does small-town life have to do with patriotism? Since when is white protestant the only "traditional"way of life in america.. (In New Orleans/Louisiana, traditional means eating red beans and rice on mondays or speaking french). Why do you assume that white protestant small-town equals "traditional, patriotic" etc. You can be a "minority" living on the border of mexico and still be more patriotic than sommeone who is white and protestant and lives a "traditional" way of life.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:41 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I voted in this poll and then wished I hadn't after I read the OP. What does small-town life have to do with patriotism? Since when is white protestant the only "traditional"way of life in america.. (In New Orleans/Louisiana, traditional means eating red beans and rice on mondays or speaking french). Why do you assume that white protestant small-town equals "traditional, patriotic" etc. You can be a "minority" living on the border of mexico and still be more patriotic than sommeone who is white and protestant and lives a "traditional" way of life.
It's not a myth that American patriotism is often associated with rural America. How many homes do you see the American flag posted up in urban America.

I know where you are coming from, but you can't be in denial though.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 PM

180 posts, read 566,063 times
Easy. New England by a long shot. I grew up in the MidWest, and live in New England (small town Vermont). There are some parts that are more urbanized and self-centric (ahem, Southern New Hampshire!) but overall New England is full of amazing small town communities. I have never felt so part of a town "family" as I have here.

To the person that said New England has a lot of big cities ... there is only one large city in New England, and that is Boston. No other cities in New England even break 100,000 people. I'm from Ohio, a single state with more people in it than all of New England combined. There are more 100,000+ cities in Ohio than there are 25,000+ cities in New England. There are more people in my home city of Cincinnati than there are in my adopted home state, Vermont.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Well reading the title of the thread and voting, I went for New England, since they have always had the cliched images of what a perfect small American town should be. After reading your post with these select attributes, and being protestant and safety, I would say midwestern. The Midwest states are far more conservative than New England. The only think making Illinois a blue state is Chicago, the only thing making Ohio a swing state is its large metro areas and industrial heritage. New England has only a couple of large metro areas and yet even the small states like Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont are all blue when it comes to politics.

Based off of your criteria I would say the midwest.

Based off of the general public's idea I would say New England. Both are very safe areas.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I feel the same way, I voted before I read the OP's statements.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesia View Post
Easy. New England by a long shot. I grew up in the MidWest, and live in New England (small town Vermont). There are some parts that are more urbanized and self-centric (ahem, Southern New Hampshire!) but overall New England is full of amazing small town communities. I have never felt so part of a town "family" as I have here.

To the person that said New England has a lot of big cities ... there is only one large city in New England, and that is Boston. No other cities in New England even break 100,000 people. I'm from Ohio, a single state with more people in it than all of New England combined. There are more 100,000+ cities in Ohio than there are 25,000+ cities in New England. There are more people in my home city of Cincinnati than there are in my adopted home state, Vermont.
Really? Providence? Bridgeport? New Haven? Springfield? None of them break 100,000? Then you have Portland Maine, city itself is only 66,000, but the metro is 505,000. Boston is the only big city (over 100,000) in New England?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City