Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:57 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times

Advertisements

Completely different.

I'd personally choose Westchester and take the train into the city for work. West U is nice, but it is in the middle of Houston in the state of Texas. I love Houston don't get me wrong. But of those two high end locations - Westchester all the way.

Within a few hours you could drive from Houston to San Antonio.... or Austin. Bit longer and you can make it to Dallas... Quick get aways from NYC/Westchester offer a lot more interesting options and they are not in Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 08:29 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Completely different.

I'd personally choose Westchester and take the train into the city for work. West U is nice, but it is in the middle of Houston in the state of Texas. I love Houston don't get me wrong. But of those two high end locations - Westchester all the way.

Within a few hours you could drive from Houston to San Antonio.... or Austin. Bit longer and you can make it to Dallas... Quick get aways from NYC/Westchester offer a lot more interesting options and they are not in Texas
I think you missed the part about the kids.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
Westchester is pretty nice and I don't even really like suburbs....well, the ones in Texas. I visited my friend in Briarcliff Manor, and I would definitely choose something like that over Texas any day. I, too, love Houston, but there's not anything like it here. Plus, you can get to the city in a hour -- pretty clear win. Depends on your kids, obviously, but you also don't have to be right in the city to have fun either.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Westchester is pretty nice and I don't even really like suburbs....well, the ones in Texas. I visited my friend in Briarcliff Manor, and I would definitely choose something like that over Texas any day. I, too, love Houston, but there's not anything like it here. Plus, you can get to the city in a hour -- pretty clear win. Depends on your kids, obviously, but you also don't have to be right in the city to have fun either.
I've been to Westchester. It's pretty boring dude. Yes, you can take the train into the city and you'll do that from time to time. But you won't do it enough. And Westchester will bore the hell out of you. Not to mention it cost about 1.5 million for a decent house there. And don't get me started on the people who live in Westchester. To me I think with kids, it makes Houston a slam dunk. Without kids I would consider NY but choose a different burb then Westchester.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I've been to Westchester. It's pretty boring dude. Yes, you can take the train into the city and you'll do that from time to time. But you won't do it enough. And Westchester will bore the hell out of you. Not to mention it cost about 1.5 million for a decent house there. And don't get me started on the people who live in Westchester. To me I think with kids, it makes Houston a slam dunk. Without kids I would consider NY but choose a different burb then Westchester.
Are you saying that they should move here so they can go to Chili's and some fake town square?

If they enjoy scenery and outdoors, they will enjoy Westchester.
My friend works in the city, he takes the train every day, twice a day, so I don't know what you're talking about. If the OP is comfortable spending the money, then they'll spend the money. Some people prefer what they perceive to be quality of life over quantity and that's fine, too. We'll let the OP decide.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 PM

To whoever it was that messaged me that that homes start at 1.5 million in West U, you better check yourself.

3209 Robinhood St, Houston, TX 77005 - HAR.com

Under 600k.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Are you saying that they should move here so they can go to Chili's and some fake town square?

If they enjoy scenery, they will enjoy Westchester.
My friend works in the city, he takes the train every day, twice a day, so I don't know what you're talking about. If the OP is comfortable spending the money, then they'll spend the money. Some people prefer what they perceive to be quality of life over quantity and that's fine, too. We'll let the OP decide.
Oh get over yourself dude. Your childish act of referencing Chili's and fake town squares is getting so old. Are you honestly going to tell me that description encapsulates living in the inner loop? Really?

Good Lord. You obviously have NEVER lived in NY. You have no effing idea how hard it is to live anywhere within 100 miles of that city with kids. Oh, but hells bells, you got a friend that lives there. Stop the presses. And he takes the train everyday into work? What else do you want to tell me Lassie? What? Jimmy is stuck in the canyon...bring rope? Will do girl!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Oh get over yourself dude. Your childish act of referencing Chili's and fake town squares is getting so old. Are you honestly going to tell me that description encapsulates living in the inner loop? Really?

Good Lord. You obviously have NEVER lived in NY. You have no effing idea how hard it is to live anywhere within 100 miles of that city with kids. Oh, but hells bells, you got a friend that lives there. Stop the presses. And he takes the train everyday into work? What else do you want to tell me Lassie? What? Jimmy is stuck in the canyon...bring rope? Will do girl!
I'm not talking about Inner Loop, silly. And I've only made that reference one time.
And I have friends that live in the city, Jersey, Queens and Staten Island...with kids. Yes, you've known me for my entire life now.

Just turn off your computer and go to sleep.

Now, about Ashby high rise...are they building one of those in Westchester?

Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
Quote:
I think you missed the part about the kids.
i didnt. why would kids fare better in Houston than in fairly wealthy westchester? not a healthy environment for a child? what are you referring to? in what ways is Texas or Houston a healthier environment? certainly not the air, or the water, or the educational and healthcare funding.

maybe you are simply referring to Jersey and Queens. in what way is Queens and Jersey not a healthy environment for children? sorry, but my mind is blown.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
i didnt. why would kids fare better in Houston than in wealthy Westchester Co? not a healthy environment for a child? what are you referring to? in what ways is Texas or Houston a healthier environment? certainly not the air, or the water, or the educational and healthcare funding.
To someone who's never even seen NYC on a map, they think Westchester is the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City