Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Philadelphia 19 19.39%
Brooklyn 16 16.33%
Chicago 54 55.10%
Queens 7 7.14%
None 2 2.04%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Not that sure about Queens but I think Brooklyn could be seen as a once, and who knows, future? independent city...has its own downtown and skyline, and a very distinct feel from Manhattan. In fact virtually every Chicagoan I've known that has moved to NYC has eventually ended up in Brooklyn, and I'm talking dozens of folks. It seems to jive with Chicagoans quite well. Myself included. The more I visit New York, the more I find myself in Brooklyn.
Correct. Brooklyn was a separate city before it annexed with the other boroughs.
History of Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Supposedly also the annexation was deemed "The Great Mistake of 1898" by Brooklynites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Chicagoans probably move to Brookyln probably because they are shocked when they see how ridiculous expensive Manhattan. If I moved to NYC I would move to Brookyln not because Iprefer it over Manhattanbutbecause I actually want to have somewhat ofa comfortable life,
Incorrect. It's actually comical people still think like this.

Manhattan and Brooklyn Highest Cost of Living Nationwide | New York City | United States | Epoch Times

Quote:
Manhattan and Brooklyn are the most expensive places to live in the United States, according to research from the nonprofit Council for Community and Economic Research.
So don't think you'll just come here and "deal with" living in Brooklyn. People are choosing Brooklyn now, more than before, because they prefer the borough not because they think it's cheaper. Your post made me Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I think Brooklyn actually has some pretty good night life.
But (as usual) I don't really see the point of comparing entire cities to parts of cities. It's not like anyone would live in any one borough of NYC and ever be meaningfully isolated from the other 4, as far as any of these criteria go.
Precisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 PM

519 posts, read 1,023,680 times
Quote:
But (as usual) I don't really see the point of comparing entire cities to parts of cities. It's not like anyone would live in any one borough of NYC and ever be meaningfully isolated from the other 4, as far as any of these criteria go.
Well, yes and no. I agree that this poll is pretty pointless, as comparing an entire city to a single neighborhood or section is lopsided. However, due to the size and population, one can easily live in NYC and be meaningfully isolated from the other 4 boroughs. There's the obvious example (Staten Island), but they're only considered New Yorkers by default. But beyond that, a Park Slope mom would hardly think of Manhattan as her home. There are some in the Philly area, and certainly in New Jersey, for whom Manhattan plays a larger role in their life then it does for some people in Queens.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:37 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
Well, yes and no. I agree that this poll is pretty pointless, as comparing an entire city to a single neighborhood or section is lopsided. However, due to the size and population, one can easily live in NYC and be meaningfully isolated from the other 4 boroughs. There's the obvious example (Staten Island), but they're only considered New Yorkers by default. But beyond that, a Park Slope mom would hardly think of Manhattan as her home. There are some in the Philly area, and certainly in New Jersey, for whom Manhattan plays a larger role in their life then it does for some people in Queens.
Staten Island is really the only exception. Whereas the other boroughs are more integrated and accessible within the 4. So someone in Queens or The Bronx has all of the same benefits as those who live in Manhattan for instance. Or if they wanted to come to Brooklyn to see the Nets play they could as well. You're right, somedays we don't have to go into Manhattan however if we wanted to we could and its not a hassle to get there.

The boroughs operate differently than other cities/metro areas mainly because geographically we're not connected (except for Brooklyn and Queens) so in a way it seems as though its not "one" consolidated place but in reality it is. And a Park Slope mom wouldn't consider Manhattan home because she wouldn't have to BUT if she wanted to visit MoMa one day she could because its easily accessible to her. See my point?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:57 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Is that a real question?

Also, what university does Philly have that is better than U of Chicago and Northwestern?
Hahaha wait what? The questions should be what school does Chicago have that is better than the University of Pennsylvania? Haha. Nice try though.

Anyways, I would slice it like this:

Chicago
Philadelphia
Brooklyn
Queens

Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Staten Island is really the only exception. Whereas the other boroughs are more integrated and accessible within the 4. So someone in Queens or The Bronx has all of the same benefits as those who live in Manhattan for instance. Or if they wanted to come to Brooklyn to see the Nets play they could as well. You're right, somedays we don't have to go into Manhattan however if we wanted to we could and its not a hassle to get there.

The boroughs operate differently than other cities/metro areas mainly because geographically we're not connected (except for Brooklyn and Queens) so in a way it seems as though its not "one" consolidated place but in reality it is. And a Park Slope mom wouldn't consider Manhattan home because she wouldn't have to BUT if she wanted to visit MoMa one day she could because its easily accessible to her. See my point?
Of course she could- about as easily as someone from Hoboken could. Its a compliment to the city, rather than an insult, that certain boroughs can be viewed as their own self-contained environments and still be very desirable locations. Because of the population, density, geographic dividers (rivers), and the generally car-averse culture, some (but not all) can and will find their lifestyle defined more by their borough than by their collective status as New Yorkers.

We've mainly been addressing the role Manhattan plays in the lives of bridge-and-tunnelers, but looking at it the other way, there are certainly people living in Manhattan for whom Queens and the Bronx may as well be in Connecticut.

Its unfair to throw Brooklyn in the ring against Chicago, and I don't think there is much insight to be gained from this poll. But if someone is interested in relocating to NYC, its certainly not pointless to talk about boroughs as individual entities when it comes to giving someone an accurate image of what to expect in the location they decide on. The main four boroughs all have well-defined and unique identities, and for the most part they're rooted in characteristics that genuinely impact, to a greater extent than individual neighborhoods of most big cities, the daily lives of their residents.

Last edited by lerner; 02-13-2013 at 01:12 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 02:26 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Anyone could isolate themselves anywhere if they chose to be hermits. That doesn't mean they're isolated.
A Park Slope mom could easily ride her bike to her office in Manhattan (as many do), and look up and see the skyline of New York City on the way. Or if it was raining, she could take the New York City Subway that stops across the street from her house. On that subway train she could read in the paper about the mayoral candidates that she's going to have to vote for soon, or about entertaining things that she might want to somewhere in the city later that day. On the way home she might have to pick her kid up from the New York City Public School that the pays taxes to support. She can do all this because it's all the same city. This Park Slope mom may not consider Manhattan to be her home (only 18% of New Yorkers do). Manhattan isn't a city either. But you'd better believe she considers New York City to be her home.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:31 PM

Sure, many will. Just as many Manhattanites will consider Manhattan to be their home, and many in Brooklyn will (often quite loudly) consider Brooklyn to be their home.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Sure, many will. Just as many Manhattanites will consider Manhattan to be their home, and many in Brooklyn will (often quite loudly) consider Brooklyn to be their home.
notcities.gif

Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
notcities.gif
'City' and 'home' are not the same word.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
'City' and 'home' are not the same word.
The point was that the 'City' that people in Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, the Bronx, and Staten Island (those were listed in order of population btw) ALL call 'home' is New York City, because that is the city that they all live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City