Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
As for NY , I heard there are some there in the east Harlem area.
It's a lot more than East Harlem.

Hispanic Origins Across NYC | WNYC

East Harlem still has a lot more Puerto Ricans than Mexicans. I'm not sure what the first area people think of when they think of Mexican areas in NYC, but I'd probably say Sunset Park nowadays. I'm not sure what it would've been say, 10-15 years ago, though.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:33 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
It's a lot more than East Harlem.

Hispanic Origins Across NYC | WNYC

East Harlem still has a lot more Puerto Ricans than Mexicans. I'm not sure what the first area people think of when they think of Mexican areas in NYC, but I'd probably say Sunset Park nowadays. I'm not sure what it would've been say, 10-15 years ago, though.
I've heard there's a big Mexican population in Corona Park in Queens, never been there though. I ate at some Mexican joint in South Williamsburg on Broadway the last time I was in NYC... I can only hope the food is better in Corona Park lol.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:35 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Mexicans in Chicago are on easy terms with European ethnic working class people and Mexican-Irish, Mexican-Polish and Mexican-Italian marriages and families are not uncommon. And one of the guys that ran for mayor in the last election, Gery Chico, is Mexican and Lithuanian.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
That's definitely part of it but not all of it. Mexicans in San Francisco largely did not live in the same neighborhoods or projects as blacks until the last decade. I do believe though that Hip Hop has played a huge role in assimilating Mexicans (and SE Asians for that matter) in SF and Oakland the same way it did for Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in New York. Their parents or grandparents might be immigrants but the children share a lot of the same local cultural heritage as their black and SE Asian peers do. Even before Hip Hop though, black, latin and asian youth in San Francisco were largely on the same page as far as street culture. This documentary gives you a glimpse into the black asian and latino street "jacket clubs" that were prevalent in San Francisco in the 60's (the same was true of West Indians, blacks and latinos in New York at the time).

Los Angeles on the other hand has always been a gang city, and particularly when talking about Mexicans. It's an interesting contrast in that LA gangs were almost always formed with racial identity in mind whereas SF turf crews were formed around neighborhoods. If you're latino and born into the Sunnydale projects in San Francisco, chances are you'll have a lot of the same rivalries and enemies as your black and Samoan neighbors based on where you're from. Go to Compton and it's not like that at all.
I just finished watching that vid. Interesting look at the old school greaser-like "jacket clubs" at that time. I didn't know there was Puerto Rican migration to SF back then, and I didn't know the pacific islander community went back that far. I didn't know they had PR, Pacific Islander, and greaser gangs back then(well, I knew they had PR greaser gangs in NY).

Also interesting are the Black gangsters that play their acoustics and their bongos in the street. It's funny, because today the Chicano gangs are the only ones who stay true to those roots and the music of that era. There's plenty of "Chicano Oldies" featuring Soul, Funk, RnB, Surf Rock, Latin Rock, Chicano Rock from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Everything from Marvin Gaye, to The Temtations, to Ritchie Valenz(La Bamba).

I guess Chicanos in the Bay aren't like that, after all, they take after the Black kids that transitioned to more Bay Area and Hyphy Rap. Not a bad thing but it's an interesting observation, by me not being from CA.

But when I lived in Texas, and in learning the Chicano history of the state, it seemed like in certain parts of the state, Mexican-Americans back in the day(50's, 60's, 70's) took after that more traditional "Pachuco" Chicano culture that was popularized by CA.

And today those Mexican's children are taking after that current Sureno-style culture. But even the most sterotypically "gangster" of todays Chicanos still respect the old school it seems, as opposed to Black gangs today taking after what they see on BET(Lil Wayne, Jim Jones, etc) flamboyant way of dress, grills, etc.

Interestingly enough, the same dynamics have happened on the east-coast. Older PR-greaser gangs being replaced by New School Latin Kings, Netas, DDP(Dominicans don't Play) Trinitarios, etc. Although, LK's did start as a "greaser" type gang during it's inception in Chicago(LK got started in the late-50's early-60's). The same phenomenon happened with black gangs such as Black Disciples, Gangster Disciples, P.Stone, and Vice Lords in Chicago.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Mexicans in Chicago are on easy terms with European ethnic working class people and Mexican-Irish, Mexican-Polish and Mexican-Italian marriages and families are not uncommon. And one of the guys that ran for mayor in the last election, Gery Chico, is Mexican and Lithuanian.
I was watching gangland when I saw a Mexican-American cop being interviewed, and he had that thick "Da Bears" Chicago accent. It seems Mexicans are well assimilated in Chicago.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:35 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
I thought the reason Mexican's in So-Cal have tension with blacks is because of la eme. I know North California is mostly nortenos.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I was watching gangland when I saw a Mexican-American cop being interviewed, and he had that thick "Da Bears" Chicago accent. It seems Mexicans are well assimilated in Chicago.
Some black cops actually talk like that too .

Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
I thought the reason Mexican's in So-Cal have tension with blacks is because of la eme. I know North California is mostly nortenos.
While the Sureños under the wing of the Mexican Mafia are generally the ones responsible for the targeted violence against blacks (such as the Avenues), there's a general tension right now between blacks and latinos throughout a lot of LA that isn't really explained solely by gang tensions. I remember getting a lot of weird stares from both 20-somethings and middle-aged people in the neighborhood when I was walking down E. Cesar Chavez in Boyle Heights a little under a year ago... the only reason that experience stood out to me is because I don't get those stares when walking through equivalently Mexican neighborhoods in the Bay Area.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:05 PM

507 posts, read 806,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
While the Sureños under the wing of the Mexican Mafia are generally the ones responsible for the targeted violence against blacks (such as the Avenues), there's a general tension right now between blacks and latinos throughout a lot of LA that isn't really explained solely by gang tensions. I remember getting a lot of weird stares from both 20-somethings and middle-aged people in the neighborhood when I was walking down E. Cesar Chavez in Boyle Heights a little under a year ago... the only reason that experience stood out to me is because I don't get those stares when walking through equivalently Mexican neighborhoods in the Bay Area.
LOL now I know you're just trying to start something, the racial tension is strictly gang related.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
LOL now I know you're just trying to start something, the racial tension is strictly gang related.
Starting what? Because I noticed there seems to be more tension between blacks and latinos in general in LA than in the Bay Area? Lol I guess I shouldn't be too surprised you'd assume there's an agenda behind my comment, there aren't a lot of posters on this site that are capable of posting without one. On certain topics I do have an agenda but this isn't one of them lol.

FWIW I also went to MacArthur Park and Silverlake/Echo Park and didn't get weird stares although I also didn't see any other black folk in either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City