Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities with the worst Chinese food in America
Tampa 0 0%
Miami 1 5.00%
Kansas City 0 0%
Omaha 1 5.00%
Des Moines 0 0%
Kansas City 0 0%
Oklahoma City 3 15.00%
Phoenix 0 0%
San Antonio 0 0%
St Louis 1 5.00%
Salt Lake City 3 15.00%
Denver 1 5.00%
Minneapolis 0 0%
New Orleans 1 5.00%
Birmingham 0 0%
Nashville 0 0%
Memphis 4 20.00%
Charlotte 2 10.00%
Richmond 2 10.00%
Cleveland 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:53 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times

Advertisements

Real Chinese food is very scary and gross to most Americans. I have a hard time eating many authentic Chinese meals. But LA, DC, NYC are amongst the best Americanized Chinese.

Worse Americanized Chinese food that I ever ate was in Knoxville Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 08:32 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Real Chinese food is very scary and gross to most Americans. I have a hard time eating many authentic Chinese meals. But LA, DC, NYC are amongst the best Americanized Chinese.

There are real Chinese dishes cooked to the Chinese palate in just about every major city or any place with more than say 25,000 Chinese residents.

The easiest way to tell the difference between Americanized Chinese food vs. Chinese food cooked to the Chinese palate is:

1) Americans like their food sweeter. Americanized places will add more sugar to any dish to make it so. For example, Orange Chicken actually is a Chinese dish but its not nearly as sweet if you eat it in China (as I have). Here its almost like eating Orange candy.

2) If you order a chicken dish, if the meat is all white breast meat.

3) Most Americans cannot tolerate the spice that Chinese can especially in Szechuan cuisine. Many beef based dished come from that area and the Americanized places tone down the spice significantly. Ive been to Chengdu and eaten there and most Americans would be begging for a glass of milk if they ate most places there.

4) Chinese eat lots of things that Americans would find repulsive (chicken feet, monkeys brains, almost every part of a duck, etc.). If you go to a place that has ducks hanging for everyone to see, its authentic.

Just my obervations.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:49 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,465 times
Anywhere in the South (south of the DC suburbs), except for maybe Atlanta, Raleigh, and a few places in Texas.
Midwest also isn't too good regarding Chinese food but they're slowly getting better.
West Coast is indisputably the best place to get Chinese food, though the East Coast (especially NYC, DC and to a lesser extent Boston) is also fairly decent.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:

The worst Chinese I ever had was in Murfreesboro Tennessee just outside of Nashville.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
This is true in general. We have a friend from Yin Bin City and she takes us to her preferred restaurants.

We are usually eating beef lung and other assorted organ meats.

Gross.

I can eat liver from birds, and small animals but in general I despise organ meat.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:59 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This is true in general. We have a friend from Yin Bin City and she takes us to her preferred restaurants.

We are usually eating beef lung and other assorted organ meats.

Gross.

I can eat liver from birds, and small animals but in general I despise organ meat.
I will eat other animals, but also hate the taste of organ meat. Tripe is the worst and asian cuisine, not just chinese, uses a lot of it.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I will eat other animals, but also hate the taste of organ meat. Tripe is the worst and asian cuisine, not just chinese, uses a lot of it.
Yep, tripe is a big fat no for me.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Tripe is widely used in authentic Mexican food as well.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:06 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
There are real Chinese dishes cooked to the Chinese palate in just about every major city or any place with more than say 25,000 Chinese residents.

The easiest way to tell the difference between Americanized Chinese food vs. Chinese food cooked to the Chinese palate is:

1) Americans like their food sweeter. Americanized places will add more sugar to any dish to make it so. For example, Orange Chicken actually is a Chinese dish but its not nearly as sweet if you eat it in China (as I have). Here its almost like eating Orange candy.

2) If you order a chicken dish, if the meat is all white breast meat.

3) Most Americans cannot tolerate the spice that Chinese can especially in Szechuan cuisine. Many beef based dished come from that area and the Americanized places tone down the spice significantly. Ive been to Chengdu and eaten there and most Americans would be begging for a glass of milk if they ate most places there.

4) Chinese eat lots of things that Americans would find repulsive (chicken feet, monkeys brains, almost every part of a duck, etc.). If you go to a place that has ducks hanging for everyone to see, its authentic.

Just my obervations.
Yes.
Sichuan (Szechwan) may not be representative though. Even most Chinese cannot tolerate spicy Chengdu cuisine.

Monkey brain is not really common. You may find it occasionally in Guangdong but no where else.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Tripe is widely used in authentic Mexican food as well.
Italians and French eat tripe. It's not so common in Italian American food, though. Once people move to the land of plenty, they stop eating guts and start eating steak. (People in America do eat liver and onions, but they're usually older people who grew up poor).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City