Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 12:08 PM

209 posts, read 462,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoJoe3354 View Post
Los Angeles
Ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Lol, no one said DART wasnt legit. It does what it supposed to do. Carry people. It was just designed poorly, no getting around it.

I have no problem with DART being light rail. light rail functions really well in a lot of places, DART messed up by continuing the light rail long distances when a commuter system would have worked better.

As for TODs you know DART has been poor at doing that. The TODs developed before or despite DART. it has train stops to empty fields hoping that development would pop up, but only places where developments are popping up rapidly are areas that were already poping up rapidly.

Anyway, I think Miami has a much better system. Much better. It is extensive, it is less wasteful, it ferries half a million people daily. That is phenomenal for a southern metro.
Why discount DART? It's system is a full tier or two above Houston's METRORail, in my opinion. Saying it's Atlanta first, Miami second, and then Houston/Dallas isn't entirely giving credit to DART for being a more useful system. It's transit is no where near as problematic as Houston's.

You bring up open fields, where? On the way to the suburbs? Yes. In the inner city of Dallas? No.

You bring up the TOD's being isolated with nothing built around them. Where? On the way to the suburbs? Yes. In the city of Dallas, particularly in the core areas? No.

Also, the figures you're either using include bus rapid transit or just combining city rail with commuter. Metro Rail in Miami and DART in Dallas are comparable systems, both are less than 110,000 boardings per day but more extensive and higher than that of Houston's, Tampa's, Orlando's, and the others of the south.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:57 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Why discount DART? It's system is a full tier or two above Houston's METRORail, in my opinion. Saying it's Atlanta first, Miami second, and then Houston/Dallas isn't entirely giving credit to DART for being a more useful system. It's transit is no where near as problematic as Houston's.

You bring up open fields, where? On the way to the suburbs? Yes. In the inner city of Dallas? No.

You bring up the TOD's being isolated with nothing built around them. Where? On the way to the suburbs? Yes. In the city of Dallas, particularly in the core areas? No.

Also, the figures you're either using include bus rapid transit or just combining city rail with commuter. Metro Rail in Miami and DART in Dallas are comparable systems, both are less than 110,000 boardings per day but more extensive and higher than that of Houston's, Tampa's, Orlando's, and the others of the south.
I dunno what you are talking about but if you think that DART is a more useful system, there is much I can tell you. You are looking at JUST the length of the rail and not the system as a whole. Miami's system is waaaay ahead of Dallas.

Dallas System is a notch below Metro. Metro has a pretty good bus system serving Harris, Fort Bend, and Montgomery county.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I dunno what you are talking about but if you think that DART is a more useful system, there is much I can tell you. You are looking at JUST the length of the rail and not the system as a whole. Miami's system is waaaay ahead of Dallas.

Dallas System is a notch below Metro. Metro has a pretty good bus system serving Harris, Fort Bend, and Montgomery county.
Well I was thinking about it in terms of a traveler.

Now you're going to Dallas for a weekend, lets say flying in. Take the Orange Line from the airport to downtown and really all the "it" neighborhoods like Deep Ellum, Uptown, so on are all connected via rail.

To be honest with you, when I go to another city I don't envision myself paying for cabs other than airport to downtown, beyond that I'd like to enjoy my visit without being ripped off by cab fares. Also still a year or two shy of being able to legally rent a car, so cant do anything about that and I don't envision myself using bus transit.

DART's a nice system for getting around. It has it's issues like all other southern systems and could use more promotion in Dallas to get more riders but it has a great backbone already.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Well I was thinking about it in terms of a traveler.

Now you're going to Dallas for a weekend, lets say flying in. Take the Orange Line from the airport to downtown and really all the "it" neighborhoods like Deep Ellum, Uptown, so on are all connected via rail.

To be honest with you, when I go to another city I don't envision myself paying for cabs other than airport to downtown, beyond that I'd like to enjoy my visit without being ripped off by cab fares. Also still a year or two shy of being able to legally rent a car, so cant do anything about that and I don't envision myself using bus transit.

DART's a nice system for getting around. It has it's issues like all other southern systems and could use more promotion in Dallas to get more riders but it has a great backbone already.
Try getting around doing regular things in Miami and Dallas and pay close attention to two things

Time and $$$ in comparison to driving

The top two complaints about DART is accessibility and time.

Southern Florida is a lot more compact but they really do have a more extensive system.
their bus fleet is massive. They have many buses feeding into the rail like Metro does here in Houston

Apart from Downtown DARt buses seems to be an auxilliary system rather than a feeder

and the fields I talk about are actual stations. There are quite a few stations to no where.

In the end its cheaper to just drive to where you are going in DFW than take PT. Miami, that is not always the case. The only place I can say the in Texas is TMC. It is definitely cheaper to ride the rail there than drive. Thats why the bulk of the medical workers ride the rail.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:46 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,548 times
Quote:

You just don't wanna give Dallas credit for anything. I'm from Houston but Dallas has the better transit BY FAR. Houston has more buses because it HAS too. Its the 4th largest city in the US and thats pretty much the only public transportation option besides that one little light rail line.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
The only part of MetroRail that kinda takes you nowhere(not in the literal rural sense) is the Northern terminus of MetroRail. Palmetto, Hialeah, Browsnville, and Earlington Heights Stations are in urban, dense, areas, but I wouldn't call these areas "places of interest". But having said that, once you get North to the "Northside" stations that's where you reach the Metro Rail/Tri-Rail transfer station, which can take you further North through Greater South Florida and to more places of interest. But South Florida will be creating another tri-rail line that runs through the downtowns and the coastal areas of Palm Beach, Broward and Dade. They'll run along the old FEC lines.

Then on top of that, All-Aboard Florida High-Speed Rail has been approved, and it will connect the Downtowns of West Palm, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale to Orlando via High-Speed Rail. South Florida is about to explode with new rail-based PT, and they're all trying to do this in time to get the host bid for Superbowl 50. Superbowl 50's gonna be HUGE from what I hear.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The only part of MetroRail that kinda takes you nowhere(not in the literal rural sense) is the Northern terminus of MetroRail. Palmetto, Hialeah, Browsnville, and Earlington Heights Stations are in urban, dense, areas, but I wouldn't call these areas "places of interest". But having said that, once you get North to the "Northside" stations that's where you reach the Metro Rail/Tri-Rail transfer station, which can take you further North through Greater South Florida and to more places of interest. But South Florida will be creating another tri-rail line that runs through the downtowns and the coastal areas of Palm Beach, Broward and Dade. They'll run along the old FEC lines.

Then on top of that, All-Aboard Florida High-Speed Rail has been approved, and it will connect the Downtowns of West Palm, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale to Orlando via High-Speed Rail. South Florida is about to explode with new rail-based PT, and they're all trying to do this in time to get the host bid for Superbowl 50. Superbowl 50's gonna be HUGE from what I hear.
Well if it is "Home" it is of interest to the people who live there.

To be honest most people in the Texas rail stations have to either take a bus or drive to it. The populations served by the stations are rather small

Old 03-22-2013, 08:36 PM

233 posts, read 530,941 times
Quote:

On top of the HSR that All Aboard Florida is building, there are plans to start commuter rail on the FEC tracks in the relatively near future which makes much more sense than even Tri-Rail which doesn't go through the historic hubs of the cities that run up the coast of South Florida. An FEC line would go through pretty much every primary city in South Florida and is much more practical than tri-rail which, despite its 'decent ridership, really isn't that convinient imo. Most of the areas Tri-Rail services are more industrial/office areas that are west of residential areas, particularly in North Broward/Palm Beach. I really don't understand why commuter rail hasn't occurred on the FEC tracks it's a no brainer but this is Floriduh.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:

I'm sure for the people living in Miami this is a major convenience to be able to get around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City