Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:40 AM

640 posts, read 1,225,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
It can easily be argued because it's an opinion; not a fact. Most people on these forums say they could never live in New Orleans due to the outrageous crime, racism, and poor public school system, but I'm sure you'd debate that to the ends of the earth.

I'm sure even you know that you don't speak for most New Orleanians. From family to friends, most of the ones I know adore Houston, and it's damn near like a second home for them.

Just so you know..Houston has a higher violent crime rate than New Orleans.

Also, I'm willing to bet that most of the New Orleanians you know do not live in the city. Most of the people around here who actually like Houston are suburbanites who dislike black people and wish to live surrounded by white people. This is generally why they like Houston.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:57 AM

998 posts, read 1,325,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
MFAH is one of the most visited art museums in the country, so I wouldn't be sure of that. There's a world community of art lovers who would come to Houston just for the exhibits.

Comparing Houston to OKC are we? How transparent of you. I also wasn't aware you were the spokesperson for all tourists.

Uh it was an analogy based on your very own premise when you asked:

Quote:
Tell me something you'd want to do in most cities that you can't do in Houston?
OKC has all the things that you and others have mentioned are assets to Houston (museums, resturants,bars etc )but that doesn't mean that the city isn't boring to the average visitor. It is what it is. These things do not stand out seeing as how most cities have the same.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Just so you know..Houston has a higher violent crime rate than New Orleans.

Also, I'm willing to bet that most of the New Orleanians you know do not live in the city. Most of the people around here who actually like Houston are suburbanites who dislike black people and wish to live surrounded by white people. This is generally why they like Houston.
Heh, if that's the case then I'm not really sure Houston would be the best place for them.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Thats moreso Dallas

Old 04-02-2013, 12:18 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
No one is trying to put Houston down. It's a great city but it could easily be seen as boring, even if you live there. I know natives that claim Houston sucks (that's a huge stretch but still gives some insight) but they've lived there their whole lives and typically stay in one corner of the city.
You can't blame people for not knowing what the city has to offer, it's Houston's own fault, not a matter of ignorance. I wouldn't expect someone to come to Baton Rouge or New Orleans and know about all the nooks and cranny's which make each respective city unique. Houston needs one entertainment district, that is walkable, that has transit, and that is 100% mixed used. Most cities in the country need this. Washington Ave isn't a walkable corridor, by that I mean the cars whiz by at 45mph, 4 lanes, have narrow sidewalks, little or no street parking, developments with parking lots in the front, etc. There's just too many spots that are just OK, Washington Ave, Richmond, Midtown, Rice Village, Montrose, Upper Kirby, etc. I'm not knocking these places I just see so much more potential than what's already there, I'm not one who settles.

This is simply constructive criticism. Yall know I love Houston.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Heh, if that's the case then I'm not really sure Houston would be the best place for them.
Seriously. Houston metro is place that's about 35% white which is one of the lowest in the US. But many people I know that lived in New Orleans itself that moved to Houston loves Houston so I don't know about this suburbanites thing.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:44 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
New Orleanians generally see Baton Rouge as a "cow town" and deride it as a "mini-Houston". Meaning that it's an endless collection of subdivisions and strip malls. But that doesn't extend to disliking Houston itself, necessarily. Most New Orleanians know Houston through oil business dealings. This generates an odd mixture of admiration and disdain. Houston is seen as a ruthlessly efficient money factory whose citizens, for the same reason, would be unwelcome in the more "genteel" elements of New Orleans society- the old money Carnival clubs, etc.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post

Uh it was an analogy based on your very own premise when you asked:

OKC has all the things that you and others have mentioned are assets to Houston (museums, resturants,bars etc )but that doesn't mean that the city isn't boring to the average visitor. It is what it is. These things do not stand out seeing as how most cities have the same.
Don't be so blatantly obtuse. Every city and town has museums and the arts, but the level that Houston has them far exceeds that of OKC, and you know that.

As I said before, a lot of you lack an imagination. That's not surprising, though. Most Americans do. Hell, the high arts doesn't even appeal to you folks. Just go to Disneyworld and call it a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City