Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Mid Sized Southwestern City
Tucson, AZ 52 26.80%
Albuquerque, NM 107 55.15%
El Paso, TX 35 18.04%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 09:59 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times

Advertisements

The trio of Southwestern midsized peer cities have many differences and much in common as well. This compasion had been done in threads past and gotten quite a bit of activity but unfortunately got railroaded into troll posting. So here's a fresh new thread to discuss these three Southwestern cities, lets have a civil discussion comparing these three interetsing cities. Here is some criteria...

Economy and potential for growth
Most scenic location and surrounding topography
Most urban and best urban planning for future growth (including public transit)
Best college town atmosphere (U of A/UNM/UTEP areas)
Best downtown and most interesting and eclectic neighborhoods
Best climate
Best attractions, historical draws, and location
Overall favorite

Old 03-30-2013, 10:58 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times
For me personally Im a homer rooting for Tucson but abq is nice as well. Tucson and abq are a tier above El paso imo

Old 03-30-2013, 11:08 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Tucson.

It's really not a competition for me either way. Tucson's always going to win as far as I'm concerned.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Tucson.

It's really not a competition for me either way. Tucson's always going to win as far as I'm concerned.
Well since you put it so matter of fact, how about some reasons and elaborative thought?

Old 03-31-2013, 04:00 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Well since you put it so matter of fact, how about some reasons and elaborative thought?
Haha, no no, I meant personal opinion.

The time I've spent in Tucson has been remarkable to me, I'll cherish them for life. Love that city to death.

The other are fine too but if it comes down to which one I like most, Tucson with no seconds. It's not a knock on the other places but they were just cities to see for me, Tucson I could see life in (happily).

Old 03-31-2013, 08:30 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
[quote=caphillsea77;28910589]The trio of Southwestern midsized peer cities have many differences and much in common as well. This compasion had been done in threads past and gotten quite a bit of activity but unfortunately got railroaded into troll posting. So here's a fresh new thread to discuss these three Southwestern cities, lets have a civil discussion comparing these three interetsing cities. Here is some criteria...

Economy and potential for growth
Quote:
Alb wins here. Then Tucson. Alb tries harder and doesn't have Phoenix looming over it's shoulder.
Most scenic location and surrounding topography

Quote:
Tucson sits in one of the greenest deserts in the world and has the largest stands of Saguaro cactus in the world. Sits at the base of 4 mountain ranges. Alb second, although Alb is greener than Tucson in the traditional sense.
Most urban and best urban planning for future growth (including public transit)

Quote:
Vote goes to Alb. Just a better set up all around.

Best college town atmosphere (U of A/UNM/UTEP areas)

Quote:
Tucson wins by a large margin here although UNM is a nice campus and UTEP is interesting with it's out of place Tibeten architecture. UofA just seems a lot more big time than the others.
Best downtown and most interesting and eclectic neighborhoods

Quote:
Don't know enough about El Paso. Kind of give Alb the edge here.
Best climate

Quote:
Alb has the best year round climate. Tucson best winter climate. Tough to say because it's a grade off. Alb probably wins here though.
Best attractions, historical draws, and location

Quote:
Alb wins in terms of man made stuff. Tucson win in terms of natural attractions.
Overall favorite

Quote:
I like Tucson because the things that I'm attracted too, (Mountains, college atmosphere, warm winters) are more prevelent there, but I would do well in Alb. El Paso just doesn't appeal to me. Too brown and windy. Too far to the mountains.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Haha, no no, I meant personal opinion.

The time I've spent in Tucson has been remarkable to me, I'll cherish them for life. Love that city to death.

The other are fine too but if it comes down to which one I like most, Tucson with no seconds. It's not a knock on the other places but they were just cities to see for me, Tucson I could see life in (happily).
I know what you mean, I was just in Tucson for the first time last weekend and was very surprsied at just how nice it was, the downtown, the architecture, vibe and feeling of the city, and most of all the remarkable beauty of the desert vegetation and surrounding mountains. It's definitely a city I'd like to return and visit often. Springtime is perfect there, not sure I could endure a summer there though.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:19 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,268,607 times
El Paso is basically Mexico, so as a white non hispanic i wouldnt fit there at all, Tucson doesnt look very appealing to me so my vote goes to Albuushsfuhfu

Old 04-23-2016, 11:22 AM

87 posts, read 252,320 times
Default El Paso on the go!!

El Paso Progress-

A Florida based developer plans to build a mixed-use tower in West El Paso, according to City documents. The 22-story highrise will go up near the corner of Sunland Park Drive and Mesa Street on a currently vacant lot, on Shadow Mountain Drive.

A rendering of the Shadow Mountain mixed use tower, planned for West El Paso. (Meyers Group)
The historic Bassett Tower in Downtown El Paso is undergoing a transformation thanks to local investors, and now the project to open an Aloft Hotel at the site has received a facade improvement grant.

Bassett Tower in Downtown El Paso has received a facade improvement grant. The historic highrise will become an Aloft Hotel, scheduled to open in April 2017. (Downtown Management District)Details have emerged on a brand new Courtyard by Marriott coming to Downtown El Paso. The new multi-floor hotel will have a prominent spot along I-10 and across the street from Southwest University Park, home of the El Paso Chihuahuas.

A Courtyard by Marriott hotel is planned for Downtown El Paso, as seen in this rendering from the architect. (Mitchell Carlson Stone, Inc.)

The architect behind a planned lofts project adjacent to Southwest University Park in Downtown El Paso is teasing what the project may ultimately look like once built.

Three planned "upper end" apartments could have views of El Paso Chihuahuas games. (exigoarch.com)

The streetcar project in Downtown El Paso has been chugging along for months, but has mostly been focused on utility relocation. That will change in June when crews begin laying rail along the streetcar route.

This cross section shows how the streetcar rail will be embedded in a concrete slab. Rail recently arrived in El Paso and will soon be laid for the streetcar project. (CRRMA)

ls: Downtown, Housing, Savoy

Loop 375 Extension Now Called 'Border West Expressway'

State and local officials held a groundbreaking this week for the now renamed Border West Expressway project in West El Paso. The project, formerly known as Border Highway West, will create a tolled expressway and complete the loop around the city.

The Border West Expressway will be a tollway for 5.6 miles from West El Paso near Sunland Park to Downtown. (TXDOT)

This rendering shows what the Northgate Transfer Center may look like, coming soon to Northeast El Paso. (www.exigoarch.com)

The latest addition to the Montecillo smart growth development in West El Paso is now hiring in anticipation of its opening. Alamo Drafthouse cinema seeks 200 employees for its upcoming location.

The Alamo Drafthouse is now hiring for its West El Paso location, shown in this rendering. It will be an anchor tenant in the upcoming Montecillo Town Center. (Alamo Drafthouse/Triple Tap Ventures)

Construction will soon be underway on a 500,000 square foot retail center at the corner of Desert Boulevard North and Paseo Del Norte on El Paso’s West Side. West Towne Marketplace will feature retail, restaurant, and entertainment options on the 63-acre property, according to a brochure.

A rendering of West Towne Marketplace shows a roundabout in the "lifestyle" area of the retail center, planned for West El Paso. (River Oaks Properties)

An upcoming Texas Department of Transportation project will reconfigure existing Interstate 10 ramps and add a braided ramp near the Fountains at Farah in East El Paso, and a new video shows what the improvements will look like once completed.

A braided ramp is part of planned improvements to Interstate 10 near the Fountains at Farah in East El Paso. (Texas Department of Transportation)

The Westin Hotel and retail complex that is planned near the El Paso International Airport according to a City Council agenda item.

An artistic rendering of the Acequia Park hotel and retail development planned for El Paso International Airport land. (Ronkot Design Vimeo Channel)

Last week, El Paso's largest shopping center, Cielo Vista Mall, announced a planned 125,000 square foot expansion that will begin in 2016. Now, we have the first images of what that expansion may look like.

This rendering shows what the Cielo Vista Mall expansion may look like, slated for construction in 2016 in East El Paso. (Cielo Vista Mall

Much more coming soon!!

Last edited by HotDesertCity; 04-23-2016 at 11:39 AM..

Old 04-23-2016, 12:07 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Economy and potential for growthnot sure. Don't think any of the three are that much different in this with El Paso being more depressed,
Most scenic location and surrounding topography: like the greener Sonoran desert in Tuscon's topography
Most urban and best urban planning for future growth (including public transit)think Tuscon won't develop as much due to Phoenix and El Paso due to the negative stigma of the border so the edge goes to ABQ.
Best college town atmosphere (U of A/UNM/UTEP areas)UNM is a very nice area, UTEP area lacks any sort of a college town feeling
Best downtown and most interesting and eclectic neighborhoods Abq is nice with old route 66 feel. El Paso has very old neighborhoods with a southwestern charm
Best climateEl Paso is not too hot or cold as others
Best attractions, historical draws, and location attractions go to ABQ history and location to El Paso for "the Pass of the North" (El Paso Del Norte)
Overall favorite:I want to say they are all close and the edge goes to ABQ with a close second El Paso
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City