Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 04:21 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times

Advertisements

I'm impressed with Minneapolis and Denver. They aren't small-ish metros with a huge undergrad populations (i.e. Austin, Raleigh, Columbus) or huge, powerhouse employment centers (i.e. NYC, Chicago, DC, Boston, SF), so it's pretty cool that they manage to keep and attract so many young graduates. As a percentage of the population, I'm a bit surprised Seattle wasn't up there with them.

I'm also a little surprised with how weak Houston is in comparison to Dallas and Atlanta (both of whom also don't do well in this study considering their populations). I'm also surprised with how weak LA is, especially since this is based on MSA so it doesn't have the Riverside MSA to bring it's percentages down.

Milwaukee's numbers are super impressive and a bit surprising. It's the only slow growing MSA that saw a huge percentage increase it's young college graduate population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 08:30 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
I would guess that Minneapolis and Denver do so well because they are affordable regional hubs that are already doing really really well. Denver especially is also extremely isolated. Denver would be the logical choice for college grads from all over Colorado, most of Wyoming, and parts of South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas. Minneapolis would similarly be the logical choice for all of Minnesota, most of Wisconsin, northern Iowa, and the eastern Dakotas.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:15 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
What's up with Las Vegas?!?
Have you ever been there? It is self evident.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:45 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I would guess that Minneapolis and Denver do so well because they are affordable regional hubs that are already doing really really well. Denver especially is also extremely isolated... Minneapolis would similarly be the logical choice for all of Minnesota, most of Wisconsin, northern Iowa, and the eastern Dakotas.
Minneapolis is also a logical choice due to the fact that there are several large, corporations headquartered there or have a significant presence.

Fortune 1,000 Companies headquartered in the Minneapolis area (2013):
UnitedHealth Group
Target
Best Buy
CHS
Supervalu
3M
U.S. Bancorp
General Mills
Medtronic
Land O'Lakes
Ecolab
C.H. Robinson Worldwide
Mosaic
Ameriprise Financial
Xcel Energy
Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
St. Jude Medical
Nash-Finch
Valspar
Patterson
Securian Financial Group
Polaris Industries
Fastenal
Donaldson
Regis
H.B. Fuller
Toro
Michael Foods Group

Forbes Private Companies headquartered in the Minneapolis area (2013):
Cargill - largest private company in the US
Carlson
Holiday Companies
MA Mortenson
Andersen

Other Companies Headquartered in the Minneapolis area:
Buffalo Wild Wings
Coloplast US
SPS Commerce
Gander Mountain
American Mortgage & Equity Consultants
Aveda Corporation (subsidiary of Estée Lauder Companies)
Bethany House
Ceridian
Donaldson Company
Katun Company
Pearson VUE
Quality Bicycle Products (QBP)
Thermo King
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota
Buffets, Inc.
Dairy Queen - A unit of Berkshire Hathaway
Lifetouch
Famous Dave's
Imation
Christopher & Banks
Select Comfort
ARCA - Appliance Recycling Centers of America Inc. - ApplianceSmart
Nordic Ware / Northland Aluminum Products
Deluxe Corporation

Companies with a Significant Presence:
Wells Fargo
Thomson Reuters
Travelers Co.
Honeywell
Delta Airlines
Century Link
Boston Scientific
CIGNA
Lockheed Martin
Seagate Technology
Goodrich Corp.
ATK
Lawson Software
ADC
MoneyGram International
Pentair Inc.
Allianz Life
Graco

Last edited by YIMBY; 10-03-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 03:56 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Minneapolis is also a logical choice due to the fact that there are several large, corporations headquartered there or have a significant presence.

Fortune 1,000 Companies headquartered in the Minneapolis area (2013):
UnitedHealth Group
Target
Best Buy
CHS
Supervalu
3M
U.S. Bancorp
General Mills
Medtronic
Land O'Lakes
Ecolab
C.H. Robinson Worldwide
Mosaic
Ameriprise Financial
Xcel Energy
Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
St. Jude Medical
Nash-Finch
Valspar
Patterson
Securian Financial Group
Polaris Industries
Fastenal
Donaldson
Regis
H.B. Fuller
Toro
Michael Foods Group

Forbes Private Companies headquartered in the Minneapolis area (2013):
Cargill - largest private company in the US
Carlson
Holiday Companies
MA Mortenson
Andersen

Other Companies Headquartered in the Minneapolis area:
Buffalo Wild Wings
Coloplast US
SPS Commerce
Gander Mountain
American Mortgage & Equity Consultants
Aveda Corporation (subsidiary of Estée Lauder Companies)
Bethany House
Ceridian
Donaldson Company
Katun Company
Pearson VUE
Quality Bicycle Products (QBP)
Thermo King
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota
Buffets, Inc.
Dairy Queen - A unit of Berkshire Hathaway
Lifetouch
Famous Dave's
Imation
Christopher & Banks
Select Comfort
ARCA - Appliance Recycling Centers of America Inc. - ApplianceSmart
Nordic Ware / Northland Aluminum Products
Deluxe Corporation

Companies with a Significant Presence:
Wells Fargo
Thomson Reuters
Travelers Co.
Honeywell
Delta Airlines
Century Link
Boston Scientific
CIGNA
Lockheed Martin
Seagate Technology
Goodrich Corp.
ATK
Lawson Software
ADC
MoneyGram International
Pentair Inc.
Allianz Life
Graco
Good point. I guess it's easy to forget that Minneapolis has a very large corporate presence that's comparable to many larger metros.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:10 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
I live in a part of Minneapolis that draws a lot of young transplants. I've been seeing a lot of Ohio and Michigan license plates lately, but also from all over. I was actually looking at the out of state plates on my block earlier today - I saw Arizona, Virginia, Illinois, Connecticut, Iowa, Washington, Montana and Missouri twice. That is all on one block (Minneapolis has really long north south blocks).

Last edited by Drewcifer; 10-03-2013 at 05:34 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 05:20 PM

737 posts, read 1,653,881 times
We were drawn to MSP (from the south) because of the high salary, quality of life, and lower cost of living vs say Seattle, DC, or the Bay Area (which by the way are all fine cities and I have enjoyed my time in the ones I've been to). What I make here is just as high as I would make in Seattle, or DC. San Fran the pay is higher but the job openings were tighter.

Last edited by sandlapper; 10-03-2013 at 05:32 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Good point. I guess it's easy to forget that Minneapolis has a very large corporate presence that's comparable to many larger metros.
Yes a very impressive corporate presence. So whats the deal then?

Why is Minneapolis such a magnet for corporate operations? Business taxes? What is the reasoning.

If its such a great place for corporations why is the metro population relatively small at 3.5 M? Why hasn't Minneapolis made that leap from a mid tier metro?

Old 10-03-2013, 11:02 PM

737 posts, read 1,653,881 times
I'm not from here originally but if I had to shoot from the hip I'd say a combination of a highly educated workforce, and cold winter weather is what makes the area the strong corporate entity, and keeps the population regulated. Maybe a native can speak on it more. To be fair 3.5 million people isn't a small metro in comparison to a significant majority of the country. The Twin Cities is the 16th largest, and punches quite a bit above its weight class in most metrics.

Last edited by sandlapper; 10-03-2013 at 11:37 PM..

Old 10-04-2013, 08:08 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I would guess that Minneapolis and Denver do so well because they are affordable regional hubs that are already doing really really well. Denver especially is also extremely isolated. Denver would be the logical choice for college grads from all over Colorado, most of Wyoming, and parts of South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas. Minneapolis would similarly be the logical choice for all of Minnesota, most of Wisconsin, northern Iowa, and the eastern Dakotas.
Yeah, Iowa is an interesting split. Very high education standards and a majority of people go to college - but other than Des Moines or Iowa City there's really nowhere in the state for them to go. Most will migrate and a majority go to Chicago, with Minneapolis being the close runner up.

Just looking around Chicago you see hundreds of license plates and about a dozen bars on the north side that bill themselves as "Iowa" bars during football Saturdays. I see U of Iowa flags flying from buildings all the time when I'm on the L and there are Iowa flags outside bars up Clark Street by Wrigley. A few years ago when Iowa played at Soldier Field they even had an "Iowa" day at Wrigley and the Iowa mascot was driving in an open top car up and down Michigan Ave. I remember that morning walking down Michigan Ave with hoards of tourists going "what the hell is going on with all the black and gold??".

Of course 45% of Iowa's enrollement direclty comes from the Chicagoland suburbs, so it's not like they're all Iowans, thousands of alumni who grew up in the area and came back home after. I remember my first day at Iowa thinking I'd be a top dog cause I came from Iowa City as opposed to a small town somewhere....and then over half the people in my class were from Chicago and I was suddenly the cute "local" at the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City