Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: H-Town vs. L.A.
Los Angeles 483 66.53%
Houston 243 33.47%
Voters: 726. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:15 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
A lot of people live in that "pretend" world.

And to the OP, LA by a long shot.
And they pay $300k to live in a fixer-upper shack with a long commute in that world. Or are stuck with renting their whole lives.

In Houston you can get a larger, nicer home and a shorter commute because there are more housing options. IMO that alone makes for a better quality of life.

You and others who say L.A. without giving legit reasons would have more credibility if you could back up your opinion. To me, it just sounds like a lot of people are going off stereotypes and ignorance about the real Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 03:25 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
And they pay $300k to live in a fixer-upper shack with a long commute in that world. Or are stuck with renting their whole lives.

In Houston you can get a larger, nicer home and a shorter commute because there are more housing options. IMO that alone makes for a better quality of life.

You and others who say L.A. without giving legit reasons would have more credibility if you could back up your opinion. To me, it just sounds like a lot of people are going off stereotypes and ignorance about the real Houston.
Quality of life is not just how cheaply you can buy a big house. Unless you are at home all the time. A lot of people don't mind renting or getting a smaller house, and living in a more desirable area.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:27 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Quality of life is not just how cheaply you can buy a big house. Unless you are at home all the time. A lot of people don't mind renting or getting a smaller house, and living in a more desirable area.
If your home is very cramped, very old, in a so-so area, and you have a long commute because you're not technically wealthy to be able to upgrade.... that's what I'm talking about. In Houston people can afford a much nicer lifestyle and housing options close to their jobs, and many of the school districts are good. Plus the economy is excellent compared to the rest of the country. And yes there are no mountains but there are lots of trees, little waterways, a bay for people who like to live on the water, and nearby beaches (not like FL beaches but they are decent). The big city amenities are great - arts/culture, restaurants, shopping, recreation. It's really a lot nicer than most people think...

Old 03-28-2008, 08:13 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:

I completely agree! Most of these Houston bashers have never even been here. Educate yourselves before you judge.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
If your home is very cramped, very old, in a so-so area, and you have a long commute because you're not technically wealthy to be able to upgrade.... that's what I'm talking about. In Houston people can afford a much nicer lifestyle and housing options close to their jobs, and many of the school districts are good. Plus the economy is excellent compared to the rest of the country. And yes there are no mountains but there are lots of trees, little waterways, a bay for people who like to live on the water, and nearby beaches (not like FL beaches but they are decent). The big city amenities are great - arts/culture, restaurants, shopping, recreation. It's really a lot nicer than most people think...
But its simply not for everyone. Not everyone likes the extreme heat and humidity. Some like beautiful scenery(mountains, ocean views, etc etc). I'm saying that lower cost of living does not make a place better. Sometimes, places cost more for a reason. Besides, Houston and LA have a lot of the same problems, crime, Pollution, etc. LA has more varied, beautiful scenery, much better weather, better beaches, more of an international city, etc etc. Houston has a lower cost of living. Its up to one to decide which is more important, and also ones financial situation. For one that is not as well off, Houston might be the obvious choice. But for those that can afford it, i believe LA has more to offer.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:49 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
But its simply not for everyone. Not everyone likes the extreme heat and humidity. Some like beautiful scenery(mountains, ocean views, etc etc). I'm saying that lower cost of living does not make a place better. Sometimes, places cost more for a reason. Besides, Houston and LA have a lot of the same problems, crime, Pollution, etc. LA has more varied, beautiful scenery, much better weather, better beaches, more of an international city, etc etc. Houston has a lower cost of living. Its up to one to decide which is more important, and also ones financial situation. For one that is not as well off, Houston might be the obvious choice. But for those that can afford it, i believe LA has more to offer.
Look what I found in the Seattle forum (From Seattle vs Los Angeles):

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I'm never going to agree that L.A. County is more desirable than the Seattle Area, sorry, just not going to happen.

Even if I was rich beyond compare I'd stay right here in the Pacific Northwest...

There are areas of California that I wouldn’t mind having a second home in, but not L.A. County.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
This is a ridiculous comparison.

There is no doubt that if you are rich - and I mean FU rich - then LA offers some of the most desirable zip codes on the planet. However, those are available to a tiny minority of people. If you're one of the rest of us, you'd be able to live in the parts of LA that are roundly and justly derided by those of us who detest the place a bit more each time we're forced to visit for work or family.

Is perpetual sun really all that fantastic when you live in a hideous concrete valley with terrible schools, pathetic parks, 24/7 gridlock, high crime and pollution? Sure, parts of the South Bay, Malibu and other coastal/hill areas are wonderful, but who the hell can afford them?

Sorry, but I've spent plenty of time both places, and Seattle wins, hands-down, in every area but the nebulous 'climate' that seems to be such an issue for people.

If 'gloom' overrides all of the putridness that is most of LA county, then I'm never going to agree with you, and that's fine.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Look what I found in the Seattle forum (From Seattle vs Los Angeles):
...is there a point? This is about Houston vs. LA.....

Old 03-29-2008, 12:35 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase33 View Post
Let's see. I don't like LA's culture. The Houston Grand Opera is amazing compared to whatever LA has! (Do they even have the opera there?) I don't care for mountains, rivers, hills...land features in general (it just means you pay more and people come to look at your stupid hills and mountains and rivers) the beach or skiing (Do you know a lot of black skiers?) and I like humidity, SUVs and cheap living. As for pollution, traffic and sprawl...I'll take the lesser of two evils. I guess Houston wins for me. Though I could see how LA could appeal more to others, one's preference is definitely not always another's.
Yes L.A. has an opera. Your reason for not liking hills, and moutains makes no sense.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:37 AM

263 posts, read 798,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase33 View Post
Let's see. I don't like LA's culture. The Houston Grand Opera is amazing compared to whatever LA has! (Do they even have the opera there?) I don't care for mountains, rivers, hills...land features in general (it just means you pay more and people come to look at your stupid hills and mountains and rivers) the beach or skiing (Do you know a lot of black skiers?) and I like humidity, SUVs and cheap living. As for pollution, traffic and sprawl...I'll take the lesser of two evils. I guess Houston wins for me. Though I could see how LA could appeal more to others, one's preference is definitely not always another's.
I know tons of black skiers, and though L.A. may not have a huge opera house, it works well within the confines of the 4 theater Los Angeles Music Center. Has a director, you may have heard of him. Some little dude named Placido Domingo? You know, just FYI...

Old 03-29-2008, 02:41 AM

263 posts, read 798,869 times
Photo above attributed to mcclave, from Flickr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City