Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: H-Town vs. L.A.
Los Angeles 483 66.53%
Houston 243 33.47%
Voters: 726. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 07:24 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Call me a skeptic, but people from the Midwest are very passive aggressive. That angers east coast people in general and Chicago seems to be the hub of it. Just cold, cold, elitist people with an expanding crime problem.

Go down to Texas? Everyone there wants to give you a hug when you have a bad day. I'd rather have that than some a-hole from the Midwest say they want to give me a hug but talk smack behind my back in return. It's ridiculous.
Not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
I just moved from California (near L.A.) to Texas (near Houston).

Why did I move? Job transfer and politics. I'm conservative. Otherwise, I had a great life in California.

I'm very unimpressed with Houston, and Texas, so far. Texas culture, of which Houston is collectively a part rather than having its own culture, seems to severely overrate itself--and is of a sort of a collective mentality that anything non-Texan is "bad" or a "contaminant." Texas "hospitality" is gregarious, but, seemingly, just superficially so; California does have more jerks, but also, seemingly, more people who have a zest for just living life. The women here in Houston seem to have absolutely no life or sense of humor, in comparison to the ones back in L.A. (Yes, L.A. is full of normal, interesting, cool women once you leave the vapid Hollywood/entertainment scene.)

Plus, L.A. has a pulsating energy that very few cities in the world can claim to have, cities the likes of NYC, London, Hong Kong, Mexico City, and Tokyo. Houston is very large and even has an impressive skyline, but it's also so...bland at the same time.

Also, in California, all that you have to do is walk out of your front door, drive down the road a bit, and bam! There's a mountain, or a cluster of palm trees, or the ocean, or some interesting rocks... In Texas, even the Hill Country is just okay, and the scenery only begins to get interesting in the western 1/3 of the state, but not nearly as interesting and diverse as in California. Texas has some of the most unattractive coastal-front areas I've seen anywhere in the world; only neighboring Louisiana's are uglier, IMO.

I guess I'm willing to put in my 3-4 years in Texas, as I get invaluable experience under my belt and command a hell of a salary here for what I do. Then, move back to Los Angeles, or maybe even Seattle or Las Vegas, where I can command a hell of a higher salary.
My job let's me live wherever I want. Seattle and LA are options, but housing there is quite easily twice as much as Texas. I've "thought" about moving back to Texas, for maybe ten years, save money, retire early and do what I want.

And yes, Texans are very proud.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:18 AM

119 posts, read 139,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
My job let's me live wherever I want. Seattle and LA are options, but housing there is quite easily twice as much as Texas. I've "thought" about moving back to Texas, for maybe ten years, save money, retire early and do what I want.

And yes, Texans are very proud.
Yeah. Californians are as proud as all get out, but they don’t view anything “non-Californian” as somehow being a “contaminant” to their state’s broader culture.

I’ve got to decide whether I can just get used to Texans’ obnoxious pride and not care, or somehow strangely embrace it, or merely tolerate it.

C’est la vie, I s’pose...

Old 01-17-2019, 09:26 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Did you live in Houston? Curious.
No, but I thought about moving there just for work. Still contemplating.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:00 PM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
I just moved from California (near L.A.) to Texas (near Houston).

Why did I move? Job transfer and politics. I'm conservative. Otherwise, I had a great life in California.

I'm very unimpressed with Houston, and Texas, so far. Texas culture, of which Houston is collectively a part rather than having its own culture, seems to severely overrate itself--and is of a sort of a collective mentality that anything non-Texan is "bad" or a "contaminant." Texas "hospitality" is gregarious, but, seemingly, just superficially so; California does have more jerks, but also, seemingly, more people who have a zest for just living life. The women here in Houston seem to have absolutely no life or sense of humor, in comparison to the ones back in L.A. (Yes, L.A. is full of normal, interesting, cool women once you leave the vapid Hollywood/entertainment scene.)

Plus, L.A. has a pulsating energy that very few cities in the world can claim to have, cities the likes of NYC, London, Hong Kong, Mexico City, and Tokyo. Houston is very large and even has an impressive skyline, but it's also so...bland at the same time.

Also, in California, all that you have to do is walk out of your front door, drive down the road a bit, and bam! There's a mountain, or a cluster of palm trees, or the ocean, or some interesting rocks... In Texas, even the Hill Country is just okay, and the scenery only begins to get interesting in the western 1/3 of the state, but not nearly as interesting and diverse as in California. Texas has some of the most unattractive coastal-front areas I've seen anywhere in the world; only neighboring Louisiana's are uglier, IMO.

I guess I'm willing to put in my 3-4 years in Texas, as I get invaluable experience under my belt and command a hell of a salary here for what I do. Then, move back to Los Angeles, or maybe even Seattle or Las Vegas, where I can command a hell of a higher salary.
I do live in Houston (Willowbend) and I was born and raised in the LA area (Torrance to be exact). Im liberal, never shot a gun, hate country music, and Im Arab decent.

I love living in Houston and I have no intention of ever going back to LA. Below is why.

I personally have found Houston more laid back than LA. LA is more so on the surface, but the people here are very "come as you are". You can go out all dolled up or show up at a bar in PJ's and still have a great time. Houston is also exceptionally diverse (not as much as LA but still very diverse) and that allows for a great selection of different types of food, different type of people to talk to, and its one of the most ethnically integrated cities in the country.

Its, IMO, the best bang for your buck city in the country with the exception of Chicago. Its cheap but still has great amenities like an excellent culinary scene, great museums, it never really gets cold, an airport with extensive service, and a good freeway system.

As for the Texas attitude, yeah it exists but in the 10 years Ive been in Texas (Dallas and Houston) Ive had one derogatory comment about being from California. I find most of it around here is tongue in cheek anyway. There are so many people here from all over the world and the US here. Thinking that everything is culturally "Texan" here with few exceptions is ludicrous.

Of course LA has more energy than Houston does. I dont think anyone would deny that. LA has way more tourist appeal. LA is a more desirable city. But I stand by my assertion that what you get for your money in Houston far outweighs what LA offers by the same metric.

If I were a millionaire, Id move back. Even off my 170k salary, I like living here.

Old 01-18-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I do live in Houston (Willowbend) and I was born and raised in the LA area (Torrance to be exact). Im liberal, never shot a gun, hate country music, and Im Arab decent.

I love living in Houston and I have no intention of ever going back to LA. Below is why.

I personally have found Houston more laid back than LA. LA is more so on the surface, but the people here are very "come as you are". You can go out all dolled up or show up at a bar in PJ's and still have a great time. Houston is also exceptionally diverse (not as much as LA but still very diverse) and that allows for a great selection of different types of food, different type of people to talk to, and its one of the most ethnically integrated cities in the country.

Its, IMO, the best bang for your buck city in the country with the exception of Chicago. Its cheap but still has great amenities like an excellent culinary scene, great museums, it never really gets cold, an airport with extensive service, and a good freeway system.

As for the Texas attitude, yeah it exists but in the 10 years Ive been in Texas (Dallas and Houston) Ive had one derogatory comment about being from California. I find most of it around here is tongue in cheek anyway. There are so many people here from all over the world and the US here. Thinking that everything is culturally "Texan" here with few exceptions is ludicrous.

Of course LA has more energy than Houston does. I dont think anyone would deny that. LA has way more tourist appeal. LA is a more desirable city. But I stand by my assertion that what you get for your money in Houston far outweighs what LA offers by the same metric.

If I were a millionaire, Id move back. Even off my 170k salary, I like living here.
I think Houston and Dallas give you the most bang for your buck as far as amenities. Hard to argue.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:22 PM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
I think Houston and Dallas give you the most bang for your buck as far as amenities. Hard to argue.
I would have said Dallas but with their economic boom COL is much higher there than it used to be.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I would have said Dallas but with their economic boom COL is much higher there than it used to be.
Bargains to be found across the metroplex. Dallas is great value compared to the coasts, if we're talking strictly size and quality of homes.

Old 01-10-2021, 05:43 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Both of these cities are very spread out, but I would choose LA over Houston.

Old 01-10-2021, 06:21 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Bargains to be found across the metroplex. Dallas is great value compared to the coasts, if we're talking strictly size and quality of homes.
I think he meant it as just the city. The city of Dallas is a bit more expensive than the city of Houston as a whole. But the metroplex and Greater Houston aren’t far apart. But then again, comparable neighborhoods in both cities are about the same price. River Oaks and Highland Park compete for most expensive neighborhood depending on the metric (River Oaks edges Highland Park if you only talk about the traditional neighborhood of RO, while HP edges out if you use the more Modern greater RO area). Dallas being smaller makes it much less close if you only stack city vs city. So id agree, they both are as bang as your buck as it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City