Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs. New Orleans
New Orleans 48 39.67%
Atlanta 73 60.33%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
New Orleans was rated the 2nd best city for LGBT people after San Francisco one year...I don't wanna hear it.
Atlanta was listed as the Gayiest city in America by advocate Magazine back in 2010 and Atlanta by far has a more wealthy more professionally Gay educated populace than NOLA and its extremely larger. So I don't wanna hear it. Me being apart of the LGBT community I can assure NOLA cant touch Atlanta in that Department not at all.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:55 AM

19 posts, read 30,073 times
This is thread is funny. I have lived in NO for a year and think the pro-NO posters here are exaggerating.

Much of Uptown, including most of Magazine street doesn't have much foot traffic or have a city feel. Magazine street basically has three areas that are a few blocks long with foot traffic. They are, in decreasing order of ubranity, the area between Lousiana and Washington, the small area past Jackson, and the area at the corner of Napoleon. Ok, mayyybe the area around Whole Foods.

The rest of Uptown, aside from Audobon Park, doesn't have much foot traffic except for some joggers/bicyclers.

The area of NO that feels urban and has foot traffic - much more so than Atlanta - is the Quarter. Not the Warehouse District (feels desolate) and not so much the CBD but the Quarter. And then, not all of the Quarter. Burgundy and Dauphine feel like ghost towns as far as foot traffic. It's really Bourbon St. to the river.

I have lived much of my life in the big East Coast cities (NYC and Philly) and can tell you that most of NO doesn't feel as urban or foot traffic-y. Uptown doesn't even feel urban - most of the houses look like the suburbs or Mayberry thrown in tight together.

BUT NO is still miles ahead of other Southern cities, which are mostly sprawling cities where people rarely walk or bike unless they are "going for a walk" or "going to ride the bike," like it's some exercise event.

Also NO is unique and has charm. All the other Southern cities, save for some cities in Florida, are indistinguishable. Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Birmingham, etc. are blah and bland.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:00 PM

19 posts, read 30,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Except that New Orleans also has a growing and healthy job market. 25 Reasons Why New Orleans is the Best City for Young Entrepreneurs : Under30CEO
Don't kid yourself. NO's job market blows compared to other cities like Atlanta, NYC, etc. Well, if you want to be a waiter it's ok I guess. Sorry but that's reality regardless of what some blog says.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:18 PM

643 posts, read 977,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo2222 View Post
Don't kid yourself. NO's job market blows compared to other cities like Atlanta, NYC, etc. Well, if you want to be a waiter it's ok I guess. Sorry but that's reality regardless of what some blog says.
Believe what you want. Why would blogs lie about the jobs that are finally coming to this city. Guess they don't have nothing else to do.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:23 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo2222 View Post
Also NO is unique and has charm. All the other Southern cities, save for some cities in Florida, are indistinguishable. Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Birmingham, etc. are blah and bland.
I can tell you've not experienced much of the South to say cities outside of NOLA and some Florida cities are indistinguishable. It would be funny if it weren't so ill-informed.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:50 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconley9922 View Post
Believe what you want. Why would blogs lie about the jobs that are finally coming to this city. Guess they don't have nothing else to do.
But thats just it.A blog is not evidence of an overall condition.Unemployment is not the greatest measure so many of the jobs are low paying service sector jobs.Having just a job does not can mean you might not have enough to pay your bills

Old 09-03-2013, 07:54 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
This thread has degenerated into a childish pissing match between people with an inflated opinion of New Orleans and an obvious bias against Atlanta ... and those who should know better.

Atlanta trumps New Orleans ... anybody with common sense knows that.

Last edited by Newsboy; 09-03-2013 at 08:35 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 08:34 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
This thread has degenerated into a childish pissing match between people with an inflated opinion of New Orleans and an obvious bias against Atlanta ... and those who should know better.

On every single metric that matters to this discussion, Atlanta trumps New Orleans ... and that's a fact! The French Quarter, gumbo and voodoo and "Swamp People" will never change that!
I disagree. There are also many Atlantans who are not giving New Orleans its just due. It's no different than Atlantans who do the same to Savannah, in which case you are quick to come to Savannah's defense and rightfully so. I think your Georgian bias is precluding your judgment in this context.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:46 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I disagree. There are also many Atlantans who are not giving New Orleans its just due. It's no different than Atlantans who do the same to Savannah, in which case you are quick to come to Savannah's defense and rightfully so. I think your Georgian bias is precluding your judgment in this context.
Come on Mutiny ... I know you're trying to be the level player here, but some of the stuff being stated as "fact" about Atlanta is just downright ridiculous and you know it ... because you've responded to it! New Orleans and Atlanta are two completely different cities, and the arguments being made here are pointless. It comes down to which lifestyle you prefer and that should be the end of this discussion.

As for economy, amenities, COL, QOL, job prospects and long-term future ... Atlanta trumps New Orleans. And again, any logical person knows that! That's not a diss against Nola, it's just fact. If we were comparing Atlanta and Savannah it'd be the same ... Atlanta wins!

Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 PM

79 posts, read 89,932 times
As someone from the gulf coast and now in ATL I have to agree. If charm, creol culture, funky food and being able to drink in the street is important then NOLA is for you. If you are concerned with career option and more amenities that come with a large major metro then ATL is a better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City