Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for raising a family
New York City metropolitan area 13 28.26%
Los Angeles metropolitan area 33 71.74%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 02:44 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,022 times

Advertisements

I picked NY only because I grew up here and it is a great place to raise your family. Also, there is nothing more fun for a kid then a snow day! Some of my favorite childhood memories are on snow days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 03:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is Space City, not Magnolia City. It hasn't been called that since the late 1800's. The name is no longer relevant as urban sprawl wiped those Magnolia tress away a long time ago.
There are still plenty of magnolia trees here and the name is still used by many...says the native

So according to the logic of your failed insult in that previous post, my being from Houston means I know far more than someone from little ol' Tyler.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:51 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
I picked NY only because I grew up here and it is a great place to raise your family. Also, there is nothing more fun for a kid then a snow day! Some of my favorite childhood memories are on snow days.
Depends on the kid. I hate snow. Give me a beach and warm weather anyday over gloomy cold. And in LA, you can still go ski in Mammoth.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:52 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,788 times
If it was just the city propers being counted, I might give an edge to LA (even despite the relative car dependency which is a big negative), mainly because it's cheaper, which would give you more options.
But expanding to the whole Metro, that advantage is negated, and I think NY is more well rounded with more to offer to a family, so I think it's the best choice.
And I love LA, btw.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:23 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,484 times
Easily LA. There's really no comparisson. The topic should end here.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:56 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Ny

Old 07-03-2013, 09:33 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
What if you want your kid to be close to all the culture and history of the northeast, have them grow up around that, have them close to top tier schools and ivy's for when they go to college, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
As much as people hate LA's car culture, the automobile actually helps keep life more private which some could argue helps families. I wouldn't want my little lady having to use public transit because that would mean any bozo or moron on the street can bother her. The same would go for my eventual kids.
It's not like everybody in NYC is using transit, this is about the metro areas right?

Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
I think as far as cities proper, LA has better family neighborhoods overall.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:40 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
The NYC metro spans across 3 states, including New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey. There are many more options for all lifestyles in that large span of area.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:12 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
What if you want your kid to be close to all the culture and history of the northeast, have them grow up around that, have them close to top tier schools and ivy's for when they go to college, etc.
Well obviously the culture and history of the Northeast is unique to the northeast, so if that was important to you then you'd pick that area. But California and Los Angeles has quite an interesting history as well (I know, because I learned about it in 4th grade) with the Missions, Ranchos, etc. There are also tons of top-tier schools in California, and really, how many people's kids are really going to go to an Ivy League school? Doesn't seem like a reason in and of itself to live in the Northeast.

I agree that the public transportation point is pretty moot because we are talking about the metro areas, not the cities themselves. I would imagine most people living in suburban NYC use their cars way more than public transit (even if a large number of them do commute into the city).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City