Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:10 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
And not to derail the thread but I've always wondered what unique West Coast urban/hood slang sound like. I know that y'all in the Bay Area like to say "hella/hecka" and "hyphy" a lot but that's all I know....I don't even know any unique L.A. slang.

Dissecting Bay Area slang would be quite the task lol, I'll mention the ones that come to mind though. We have some of the same slang you listed for DC ("suspect" "on blast" "geekin" "muggin" etc) and a dictionary's worth of other slang. A lot of the slang is related to prostitution and women in general... Words like "bop" "rip" "runner" "punk-rock *****" etc. are all in reference to prostitutes or girls perceived to be easy while words like "track" "blade" and "ho-stroll" refer to where prostitution occurs. Some of the common phrases/words around here are "on mamas/on citas" "saucy" etc. Common insults and/or negative slang include "square" "j-cat" "mark" "knock" "bootsie" "out of pocket" "scanless" "smirkish" etc. Instead of saying beef (conflict) we say "funk" (pronounced "fonk"); it's almost exclusively used in Oakland though. "Mainey" is the bay version of crazy and "cutty" is the bay version of grimy; a bad area is often referred to as "the cutts" which itself is derived from the word "cutthroat". Some of the more common ways to greet people are "bruh" "blood" "pimpin" "bruh-bruh" "cuz" " etc. As far as turf slang goes, words and phrases like "5 star" "goer" "sav" "rude boy" "get active" "get the biz" "mobbin/rockin" "hit a lick" "with the ****" etc. are very common. There's also a lot of drug and car slang but I won't get into that. There's also a ton of neighborhood-specific slang... "cuddy" for example is strongly associated with the Crest neighborhood of Vallejo.

As far as LA, they're the only ones I've ever heard say phrases like "I put tips on him" (I beat him up to a pulp).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 06:24 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
philly slang and chicago slang are nothing alike
Couldn't agree more.Philly slang and Chicago slang are extremely different. The same goes for other northeastern cities vs other midwestern cities

Old 07-11-2013, 02:01 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Dissecting Bay Area slang would be quite the task lol, I'll mention the ones that come to mind though. We have some of the same slang you listed for DC ("suspect" "on blast" "geekin" "muggin" etc) and a dictionary's worth of other slang. A lot of the slang is related to prostitution and women in general... Words like "bop" "rip" "runner" "punk-rock *****" etc. are all in reference to prostitutes or girls perceived to be easy while words like "track" "blade" and "ho-stroll" refer to where prostitution occurs. Some of the common phrases/words around here are "on mamas/on citas" "saucy" etc. Common insults and/or negative slang include "square" "j-cat" "mark" "knock" "bootsie" "out of pocket" "scanless" "smirkish" etc. Instead of saying beef (conflict) we say "funk" (pronounced "fonk"); it's almost exclusively used in Oakland though. "Mainey" is the bay version of crazy and "cutty" is the bay version of grimy; a bad area is often referred to as "the cutts" which itself is derived from the word "cutthroat". Some of the more common ways to greet people are "bruh" "blood" "pimpin" "bruh-bruh" "cuz" " etc. As far as turf slang goes, words and phrases like "5 star" "goer" "sav" "rude boy" "get active" "get the biz" "mobbin/rockin" "hit a lick" "with the ****" etc. are very common. There's also a lot of drug and car slang but I won't get into that. There's also a ton of neighborhood-specific slang... "cuddy" for example is strongly associated with the Crest neighborhood of Vallejo.

As far as LA, they're the only ones I've ever heard say phrases like "I put tips on him" (I beat him up to a pulp).
Damn....I forgot the name of the poster from the other page but s/he was right when s/he said that you guys in the Bay Area got the most exotic and funky slang in the country LOL

Hmm...And I'm also pretty sure that Angelenos say "blood" as well.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:07 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,146 times
"Mang" sounds like something a Hispanic gang banger would say.

And some newish ones (they probably faded out now) are "thirsty" and "swerve." "Thirsty" meaning overly eager or wanting something too badly, usually used in when a guy is too eager in chasing a girl. "Swerve" translating to "man, get outta here with that bull." Swerve can have a few other meanings though. "Ratchet" is either dying or dead, it was popular last year and earlier this year.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:38 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,552 times
Quote:
And not to derail the thread but I've always wondered what unique West Coast urban/hood slang sound like. I know that y'all in the Bay Area like to say "hella/hecka" and "hyphy" a lot but that's all I know....I don't even know any unique L.A. slang.
Yeah I live in Phoenix (West Coast in culture) and "hella" and "hecka" is used a lot. Ex) Damn this pizza is hella good. Also a lot of people here say "Shut the front door" which is a more polite way to say Shut the f%#% up. It's kinda one of my favorite sayings I say it more than necessary haha.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Yeah I live in Phoenix (West Coast in culture) and "hella" and "hecka" is used a lot. Ex) Damn this pizza is hella good. Also a lot of people here say "Shut the front door" which is a more polite way to say Shut the f%#% up. It's kinda one of my favorite sayings I say it more than necessary haha.
LOL

And oh wow, my lil sister used to say "Shut the front door" a lot a couple of years ago but just like me, she's born & raised in the DC area. Other than her, I can't recall most over DMV kids saying it.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Don't Philadelphians also say "mang"?
Philadelphians say bul, like young bul.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Philadelphians say bul, like young bul.
Sounds similar to how West Coasters say "young blood" sometimes LOL

I'm not too familiar with Philly slang. I often wonder if you guys say "kid" too, like the New Yorkers, Bostonians/Ma$$holes, and I think the New Jerseyans. But I do know that South Philly Italians invented the now universal slang term "Yo".

Old 07-12-2013, 01:11 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Sounds similar to how West Coasters say "young blood" sometimes LOL

I'm not too familiar with Philly slang. I often wonder if you guys say "kid" too, like the New Yorkers, Bostonians/Ma$$holes, and I think the New Jerseyans. But I do know that South Philly Italians invented the now universal slang term "Yo".
LOL, South Philly Italians and Blacks I believe-probably Philly's most well known slang contribution haha.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
LOL, South Philly Italians and Blacks I believe-probably Philly's most well known slang contribution haha.
LOL Yo, that's wassup tho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City