Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these small states do you prefer?
Delaware 23 29.11%
Rhode Island 56 70.89%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:29 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times

Advertisements

Which state holds more appeal to you? Delaware or Rhode Island?

Compare based upon.........

Scenery and tourist appeal
Urban offerings/cities
Better coastline
Economy
Education
Which one has more notoriety or identity/character?
anything else you can think of....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 08:58 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Never been to either, but Rhode Island appears to have more flavor imo.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:27 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times
I've been to both and it's really hard to say. I've been living in Delaware for a while, so that probably makes me biased (I'm not sure if that makes me biased for or against).

When I went to Rhode Island (with my parents), I went to a Memorial Day parade in Providence and walked around Brown. I also toured the mansions in Newport. The mansions are a nice look into America's aristocracy, although, as a kid there are only so many "old houses" you can tour. I liked Providence. It was like a small town, even if it's 2.5 times the size of Delaware's biggest city.

As for Delaware, there are a lot of things I like, so I'll just name a few. First of all, there are the beaches. That's probably the main reason people go to Delaware, if they're not just passing through. There are also some nice sleepy towns with their own character (Middeltown's hummer parade is pretty amusing). There are some historic site up near Wilmington (Ft. Christina and the kalmar nyckel). Delaware also has its own mansions built with Dupont money, but I'm not sure you can tour them. Normally I'd mention the University of Delaware as well, but it's not on the level of Brown.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
im going with rhode island. i go to Delaware on a regular basis and i hate it. as for Wilmington ill just stay in philly since both the cities literally look the same(aiming at housing stock)

Old 09-08-2012, 10:36 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
I've been to both and it's Rhode Island hands-down. The towns there have so much character, especially Newport. Such a good feeling there.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-08-2012 at 10:45 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 10:36 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times
Oh, on the criteria:

Scenery and tourist appeal - I think Delaware has the better scenery because of the beaches. But about 80% of the state is just farms, so it's not a pretty drive to the beaches.

Urban offerings/cities - Providence is much better than Wilmington. Since those are pretty much the only cities in either state, Rhode Island easily takes this.

Better coastline - Rhode Island has a pretty coastline. I'm pretty sure there's more of it as well (since it twists more).

Economy - I'm not really qualified to talk about the economies. Delaware seems to have a slightly better economy, but I don't think you'd be able to tell living there.

Education - Rhode Island.

Which one has more notoriety or identity/character? - They're probably about the same. I posed this question to my brother and he said that he feels Delaware has more diversity of identity because those in the north of the state view themselves differently than the south. But I feel like Rhode Island could possibly have a similar east/west divide.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:11 AM

432 posts, read 610,106 times
Delaware sucks. I lived there for 2 years. Henry Hill didn't like Delaware. Stay in Philadelphia if you want somewhere awesome, or at least in *pukes in mouth a little* New Jersey.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:00 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,692 times
Delaware,

Cant really dig that Peter Griffin accent everywhere I go...

Old 09-09-2012, 02:02 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,990,299 times
These states have more in common than people think, they're the two smallest states and nowadays they're reduced to being bedroom communities for Boston and Phily. That's really what it comes down to and I'm siding with Rhode Island on that. Providence is a lovely city in a metro with an even lovelier big city.

I was surprised when I drove through Delaware that it was so green and hilly, that was pleasant. I was expecting brown and dumpy but was caught off guard. I cant forget the moment I crossed into Maryland from Delaware within the first 5 minutes already say a guy eating a big box of fried chicken while driven some P.O.S. car, the look on his face was priceless, guy was in heaven LOL.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:59 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Scenery and tourist appeal: Tie. RI has a beautiful coastline. Delaware has more beautiful countryside around the Brandywine Valley and its oceanside state parks are also appealing.
Urban offerings/cities: RI: Providence beats Wilmington, hand's down.
Better coastline: DE. From Cape Henlopen to Fenwick Island, the beaches are beautiful and many miles are are protected by state parks featuring nature trails and wildlife.
Economy: DE. It has chemicals and banks. RI's economy is in a tailspin.
Education: RI. DE's public schools are not good (don't have data on RI's). While UDel is a good school, Brown and the other RI universities easily top Delaware's total offerings.
Which one has more notoriety or identity/character? Tie (in a negative sense). I believe both are mysteries to most people and each is probably nicer than most people realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City