Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Downtown Bar Brawl: Mpls or Cbus?
Mpls 12 57.14%
Cbus 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,710 times

Advertisements

OK, I know what some of you are thinking: this is a totally stacked deck in favor of Mpls. 30,000 downtown residents vs 6,000 (do they have that many yet or are they still in the upper 5,000s?), now that's just not fair. Just goes to show every now and then that size doesn't matter. So what set this poll off was the fact that there are no great bars in the immediate downtown neighborhood where I reside and bike several blocks north to find the closest spot worth going to was way too packed (bound to happen, I know). So I figure I try the Irish pub across the street which was looking empty and to which I had never been. Eh, it was a generic Irish bar with bad American music. I figure I'll get a cheap beer and go with a PBR: $4. Try to think about where to go from there and there's no place close on the way back. I end up going to another soulless "pub" and I bite the bullet: $4 for a PBR. That's $10 for two measly PBRs w/ tip, but at least this place has wi-fi. This made me realize how well covered Downtown Columbus is with great bars while over here in Downtown Minneapolis they are few in number and spread out on the far-flung edges with only one being centrally located between the two major north-south commercial streets.

My criteria for great bar are: great ambiance, affordable prices, and a low-to-no count of white collars, i.e. a good non-mainstream bent. Remember: these are downtown bars only!

Mpls has:

Club Jager (great bar/patio, staff and background music not to mention Hamm's as a cheap fallback if you don't make their HH which lasts til 7 with a very mixed crowd)

The Depot Tavern (not the cheapest but it's the closest place which offers respite from all of the overpriced and overdressed joints surrounding it like "Seven" whose name alone I find annoying)

Grumpy's (it doesn't hold a candle to Grumpy's NE, but it's pretty good and they have the Monday Minnesota beers deal with severely discounted local brews and tallboys are $3.50)

Pizza Luce (OK, it's a restaurant-bar but there's enough of a chill crowd and they have $3 PBRs and tasty pizza by the slice)

19 Bar (beer is dirt cheap here at $2 for a small "pint" of Grainbelt or Schell's, but it's really just a typical gay bar masquerading as an alt/indie dive and the patrons give it away pretty quickly, so I'm not fooled)

Well, that's about it unless I'm making a glaring omission.

Cbus has:

Tip Top Kitchen & Cocktails (historic Columbus themed restaurant and bar which is dimly lit with ornate wooden shelving covering the wall behind the bar where a Bottoms Up is always $3 and delicious (Old Crow and RC cola with a maraschino cherry)

El Camino Inn (has kind of a 70s California desert town bar vibe with cheap drinks, Mexican beers like Carta Blanca and Cucapa and taco truck quality food items)

Dirty Frank's Hotdog Palace (eat quirky $3 hotdogs, drink $3 -real- PBR tallboys at $3 or a bottle Schiltz, which I think is $ something and listen to the jukebox which only features local bands)

Wall Street (I was stunned that Downtown Mpls not only doesn't have a lesbian dance club, but not even a lesbian bar, while Cbus has both. This would be the former and while it's not exactly my scene as a dude how can you not love a lesbian dance club where you have to enter from a dark, stinky alley and they'll even be nice to you if you are too and not a even a lesbian. Props.)

Betty's Bar (It's what Cuzzy's wishes it was: a true downtown dive. Bad wood paneling, $1.50 12 oz-ers of PBR, and some hardcore drinkers. $4 for a PBR? Nope: thrown on another .50 cents and you'll be on your 3rd.)

Little Palace (Retro a la Mad Men with a decent beer selection, bartenders playing lots of good indie
tunes and solid food)

The Main Bar (No frills dive with cheap beer and big-ass corn dogs)

And there have been a couple more that opened which seem very promising, along with a 16 bit arcade and bar set to open. So there you have it: not only are great Cbus bars better distributed for their downtown residents, but they have more unique, higher quality offerings. Bulldog? Eli's? The Local? Get outta here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 11:39 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,987,157 times
The difference between the two is that downtown Minneapolis caters to professionals, sports fans, the club scene, and people from out of town. One will have a hard time finding a true bar.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:09 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,170,319 times
I know it'll end up being an unpopular stance, but I definitely prefer going out in Columbus to going out in Minneapolis. Minneapolis wins a lot of rounds vs. Columbus, but not this one (for me).

Old 08-01-2013, 12:18 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
^ Really now. () Tell me, exactly who gives a s**t, one way or another? ()

Old 08-01-2013, 01:54 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,170,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ Really now. () Tell me, exactly who gives a s**t, one way or another? ()
Looks like 65 and counting, pal. If this were about Cincy I'm sure it'd be the most important thread on the internet, no?

Old 08-01-2013, 02:27 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Looks like 65 and counting, pal. If this were about Cincy I'm sure it'd be the most important thread on the internet, no?
I dare you to suggest Cincy/Dayton aren't in the same metro.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:29 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
^ We only deal with real cities, fella--therefore we'll be willing to talk...about Minneapolis.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:03 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
^ We only deal with real cities, fella--therefore we'll be willing to talk...about Minneapolis.
^ he didn't come with us

Old 08-01-2013, 03:34 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Cincinnati and Dayton will never be together

Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,981,704 times
Adding to the bar scene Minneapolis has way more "city" to offer than Columbus. No comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City