Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 11:27 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

In Rhode Island, while not very high, Providence and Pawtucket are both just above the national percentage at around 16% Black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 12:02 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,700 times
I'm not so convinced I'd consider LA or Miami in that black city category...

Maybe I'm missing the point, but to say LA & Miami (and even NYC) but leave out Baltimore and Atlanta???

In cities like Atlanta, Baltimore, DC, Detroit, Chicago and New Orleans, it's kind of hard to go about life without interaction with black people. Whether it be social, business or recreational, in those places it seems like the black population is FAR more involved and almost even runs the city.
In NYC & LA, there are some pretty significant black communities, however it is VERY clear that black people do not "run the town" and you can live on forever without ANY sort of interaction with anyone black. Especially in LA. Maybe a little harder in NYC.
Same in Miami though... I question how clear it is that the black community makes a clear significant difference in "running the city" there...

Now, I could be waaaay off base here and completely miss the OP's point by the thread, but this is what I think he was talking about.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:00 PM

43 posts, read 61,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesStateofMind View Post
Buffalo NY, Rochester NY, Benton Harbor MI, Muskegon(Heights) MI ,Southeast Grand Rapids MI ,Flint MI, Saginaw MI ,Ypsilanti MI, Gary IN, South Bend, Indiana, North side Milwaukee, Racine WI, Beloit WI, North Omaha NE, Southwest Witchita KS, Kansas City KS, Little Rock AR, East St. Louis IL, Kankakee IL, Danville IL, Rockford IL, Decatur IL, Peoria IL, Youngstown OH, Canton OH, Dayton OH, Mansfield OH, ElyriaOh, Lorain, Ohio, Erie PA, Northside Minneapolis , Frogtown on the Westside and most of the Eastside of St. Paul MN, Sacremento CA, Northside of Portland OR, Seattle WA
forgot Poughkeepsie NY , Northside Kalamazoo MI, Kinloch MO and think Indianapolis is a bit overlooked aswell.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:44 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
Oakland, CA is known for its black population. In 2010 it was 28% and declining. Nashville, TN is known for its white population, but in 2010 was 28.4% black and increasing.
Very interesting observation, although it may have something to do with 2 things:

1) Region - 28% black on the West Coast is high for a city, in the south it's not.

2) Although Nashville has a slightly higher % of blacks, whites still make up the vast majority of the city. This is unlike Oakland, one of the most diverse cities in the nation, with large amounts of blacks, asians, hispanics, and whites. Blacks still (slightly) represent the largest racial group in the city.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:41 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Very interesting observation, although it may have something to do with 2 things:

1) Region - 28% black on the West Coast is high for a city, in the south it's not.

2) Although Nashville has a slightly higher % of blacks, whites still make up the vast majority of the city. This is unlike Oakland, one of the most diverse cities in the nation, with large amounts of blacks, asians, hispanics, and whites. Blacks still (slightly) represent the largest racial group in the city.
How well does the Black middle class do in Nashville.

It does seem that we have representation on construction projects in that city more so than Chicago.

I don't think Nashville has seen the increase in Blacks a Charlotte and Raleigh but it doesn't appear to be doing bad.

I know Memphis is known for being a Black city. Perhaps it has the highest percentage of Black residents of any top 50 metro. I know at one point Shelby County was in the top 2 or 3 counties in the country for the percentage of Black owned businesses.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:19 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Texas in general.

Central Texas itself has long been historically a black area, but blacks in TX are known for mostly being in Dallas, Houston or East Texas. Waco's history in long rooted in African American culture and even played a significant part in the launching of the NAACP anti-lynching campaign, as well being home to the first HBCU and one of the first AA mayors to be elected in Texas.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:40 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I'm not so convinced I'd consider LA or Miami in that black city category...

Maybe I'm missing the point, but to say LA & Miami (and even NYC) but leave out Baltimore and Atlanta???

In cities like Atlanta, Baltimore, DC, Detroit, Chicago and New Orleans, it's kind of hard to go about life without interaction with black people. Whether it be social, business or recreational, in those places it seems like the black population is FAR more involved and almost even runs the city.
In NYC & LA, there are some pretty significant black communities, however it is VERY clear that black people do not "run the town" and you can live on forever without ANY sort of interaction with anyone black. Especially in LA. Maybe a little harder in NYC.
Same in Miami though... I question how clear it is that the black community makes a clear significant difference in "running the city" there...

Now, I could be waaaay off base here and completely miss the OP's point by the thread, but this is what I think he was talking about.
Have you ever been to Chicago? In such a segregated town, I'd say it's not at all that hard to explore the city without seeing many a huge amount of blacks. The most popular Chicago neighborhoods are easily dominated by whites.

I'd say Chicago is more on the same tier as Houston, Miami, and Dallas.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:43 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Have you ever been to Chicago? In such a segregated town, I'd say it's not at all that hard to explore the city without seeing many a huge amount of blacks. The most popular Chicago neighborhoods are easily dominated by whites.

I wouldn't even say that. Blacks have more power in places like Houston and Dallas compared to Chicago.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:54 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

of course I've been to Chicago...

Fine, scratch Chi from that list. I was only giving it the benefit of the doubt...
I actually can imagine that you can explore Chicago without having interaction with black people easily (it's usually like that in the really big cities).

But I hold to the others

Old 08-25-2013, 11:03 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Well, that brings me to another interesting point. As discussed earlier, we know the south is the only region with widespread black populations in the rural.

I thought it was kind of cool when I looked at a black population demographic map and noticed that the rural southern black area extended in the very bottom tips of Missouri (Bootheel) and Illinois. 4 towns for example:

Cairo, Illinois

Caruthersville, Missouri

Charleston, Missouri

Sikeston, Missouri

I noticed these towns a have much higher % of blacks than most other non-southern rural areas, and they are very close to Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas and Mississippi. I wonder if these towns are more southern and similar in culture to the South than they are to the major metros (Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City) in their midwestern states.
Southern Illinois is the south to me. Even their accent down their is like a combination of a midwestern and a southern accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City