Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:33 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

Is that giant pit where the Whole Food's mixed-user is going? That thing is killing one of the biggest parking lots in DTLA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 10:59 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,535 times
L.A. hands downs but check back with Houston in four or five years.. The area called Market Sqaure is bustling right now , with 6 bars already opened on the same block in the last..ear alone two more on the way.. Batanga has already become a hot shot bar/live music/ restraunt in Houston. Now hines is planning to build a 33 stroy highrasie on the same block as well..

Greenst is being renovated by Midway they have a nack for turning dead zones into hot spotss for retail and shopping.. so here is hoping they can use that magic touch on this project..

Even the Downtown residence is seeing a surge with two luxary buildings being built, and two more planned and another rumored..

All three rail lines will be on line by then...I am intrested in seeing Dt Houston in the next five years

Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
I'm surprised LA seems to be so far ahead of the pack...I guess it's older/more interesting...I prefer it's skyline too, Dallas and Houston have kind of ugly, blocky, spacey skylines.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:13 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm surprised LA seems to be so far ahead of the pack...I guess it's older/more interesting...I prefer it's skyline too, Dallas and Houston have kind of ugly, blocky, spacey skylines.
Why? Your post reads as though you were expecting different results.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Why? Your post reads as though you were expecting different results.
I expected them to be all close to each other.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,292 times
Quote:
I expected them to be all close to each other.
I'm originally from Chicagoland. Therefore, downtown Chicago is my measuring stick for downtown areas.

I've never visited Los Angeles or Dallas. I haven't seen Houston since I was 15. I live in Atlanta. Granted, there are only a few pics of Los Angeles posted, they are dynamite, nonetheless! Especially, the ice skating. I've seen enough of downtown Atlanta. I want to see Dallas and Houston pics.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:07 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
You mean like this?

Like this?

Or like this?

Last edited by Metro Matt; 09-04-2013 at 10:23 PM..

Old 09-04-2013, 11:33 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
As a place to live, work and play, downtown LA by a long, long way. Downtown Atlanta, Dallas and Houston all have impressive skylines but at street level they are tragic for MSAs their size. Many downtowns of MSAs less than half their size have much more vibrant downtowns: Pittsburgh, Austin, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Portland, to name a few, all have better residential, pedestrian friendly, alive and livable downtowns. On an average Tuesday night, you will see more people on the streets in downtown Omaha than downtown Dallas! Downtown Atlanta is marginally better than downtown Houston or Dallas, but for MSAs over 5 million, only downtown Phoenix would be worse than downtown Houston, Dallas or Atlanta.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:17 PM

546 posts, read 817,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Is that giant pit where the Whole Food's mixed-user is going? That thing is killing one of the biggest parking lots in DTLA.
Yes, that certainly looks like where that was taken but I'll let pwright confirm it.

Quite a few parking lots in LA's inner downtown core getting developed right now. Should add to the fabric and vibrancy of those parts of downtown nicely once they open.

Great pics of downtown LA pwright!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:25 PM

546 posts, read 817,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
As a place to live, work and play, downtown LA by a long, long way. Downtown Atlanta, Dallas and Houston all have impressive skylines but at street level they are tragic for MSAs their size.
I have been to all four cities and I agree. Though, I would not use the term tragic do describe the other downtowns.

I was pretty impressed on a recent trip to Houston. I like the city. But as a city/downtown Houston is far closer to a built up version of Phoenix than it is to Los Angeles. Downtown LA has so many blocks/districts with 4 to 12-story early 20th century buildings. From the fashion district to the historic core you would never mistake those other three downtowns for downtown LA. A completely different feel and fabric........in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City