Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 11:29 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Yes, because you know Atlanta is SOOOO interesting. Let me tell you! Woooo! What a blast.

You claim Philly isn't interesting and then name THE LIBERTY BELL and the ROCKY STEPS. HAHAHAHA.

It's so obvious you know NOTHING about Philadelphia.

Largest collection of Colonial homes in the United States? Longest occupied residential street in the United States? Great art collection at the Museum of Art and the Barnes Foundation? Mutter Museum? Eastern State Penitentiary? Penn Museum of Archeology? Independence Hall? Constitution House and Constitution Center? Great restaurant and food scene? Reading Terminal Market? Italian Market? Betsy Ross House? The US Mint? Please Touch Museum? Franklin Institute?

Want to know what there is to do in Philadelphia? Have a look here:
31 Reasons Philadelphia Is The Most Underrated City In America

There is a reason they're building the "Museum of the American Revolution" in Philadelphia. Not DC, not Boston, not NYC.

Critics still hate revised design for Museum of the American Revolution in Philly
And that's cool and all, but clearly, for a city that's revered for it's history, you'd think it would get more tourists, but D.C. gets more, Boston gets way more, let's not even talk about NYC.

I mean, Atlanta gets more domestic and international tourists then Philly and Atlanta's a pretty lame city in comparison especially when it comes to character and history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
And that's cool and all, but clearly, for a city that's revered for it's history, you'd think it would get more tourists, but D.C. gets more, Boston gets way more, let's not even talk about NYC.

I mean, Atlanta gets more domestic and international tourists then Philly and Atlanta's a pretty lame city in comparison especially when it comes to character and history.
Want to know the reason why? Philadelphia has had an image problem for decades. Even to this day it still has an image problem, which is very evident of this thread and many others bashing Philadelphia. Most people think it's still a dirty, run down, abandoned crime zone. And while some sections of the city certainly still are, the core has never been so vibrant. It is an amazing time to be in Philadelphia and see the renaissance take place. As Philadelphia gets it's act together and rebuilds not only itself, but it's image as well, more and more people will visit Philadelphia and see what it has to offer.

I wouldn't visit Philadelphia of the 90s.

But the renaissance of today in Philadelphia has really birthed an entirely new city, and that's evident by the population growth, job growth, growth in the tourism industry, and all of the new construction happening.

As Mayor Nutter says, "if you haven't been to Philadelphia in the past 5 years, you haven't been to Philadelphia." - and it's so true.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Philadelphia has had more visitors yearly than Boston for the past 3 years.

If you want to see a video on the transformation of Philadelphia from the 90s to today?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoEYNANks-I

Old 04-09-2014, 11:36 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Philadelphia has an SLS coming in, which is more exclusive and far far far superior to the W hotel brand. If that W never gets off the ground, as long as you get the SLS, I see zero issues.

W's are more in the league of Ritz-Carlton (it's arch-rival), Marriott Marquis, or Renaissance (and a few select others). Being only the fourth city in the country with an SLS, that's more relevant personally than being like the 15th with a W.
Of course its superior to W...SLS is an Los Angeles-based brand. The owner went to Beverly Hills High and USC, and the hotels all have LA-based retail like Fred Segal and LA-based restaurants like Umami, Katsuya, etc.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Want to know the reason why? Philadelphia has had an image problem for decades. Even to this day it still has an image problem, which is very evident of this thread and many others bashing Philadelphia. Most people think it's still a dirty, run down, abandoned crime zone. And while some sections of the city certainly still are, the core has never been so vibrant. It is an amazing time to be in Philadelphia and see the renaissance take place. As Philadelphia gets it's act together and rebuilds not only itself, but it's image as well, more and more people will visit Philadelphia and see what it has to offer.
Exactly. I also can't blame outsiders for having a relatively negative image of Philly. It has only been about 10-15 years since those in political power have really made a concerted effort to improve its reputation to potential visitors nationally and internationally. There has been remarkable progress in that relatively short time, but the city is still only at a fraction of its potential for tourism -- and economic recovery in general.

There are still plenty of challenges for the city, but the trajectory it is on is better than it has been in over half a century.

Last edited by Duderino; 04-09-2014 at 12:20 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 12:43 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times
Why is it that Philly is like the main city on this forum that gets people so butt hurt? Random posters attacking Philly/posters for doing nothing more than contributing to the thread?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:54 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Why is it that Philly is like the main city on this forum that gets people so butt hurt? Random posters attacking Philly/posters for doing nothing more than contributing to the thread?
Mostly jealousy and envy. People hate for a city to do well unless it's their own. I don't understand why people wouldn't want every city in America to be great. I don't hate on other cities unless they are personally attacking my own city and even then, I usually just defend my city instead of trying to drag their city through the mud which they seem so keen on doing. Philly posters are some of the worst on here for that too so don't throw stones in a glass house. Infact, you're one of the main ones too.

I don't think we could say most people on this website try not to hate unless provoked though. Probably about 99.999999999999999999% of the posters on this message board will hate on another city when they see projects moving in that city or when nice things are happening in that city. That's what jealousy and envy will do.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:57 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
This article has a pic of a really nice view of what appears to be an entirely new part of the SF skyline as you drive in on the bay bridge from Oakland and 101 North from the Peninsula.

It's rising west of the current skyline and is an entirely new focal point in the overall skyline.
Where the Transplants Come From; Ferry Upgrade; More! - AM Linkage - Curbed SF

Old 04-09-2014, 12:58 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yes, but those are landmarks and very symbolic of the country. No offence, but the landmarks in Philly aren't that interesting...I mean, the Liberty Bell I guess and the steps Rocky was on from the Philly Museum of Art...but I mean...that's it. Philly isn't scenic either like say...SF is. It's not an iconic city. It's no wonder it doesn't get many tourists, not to mention being wedged between the country's capitol and the country's largest city.

Just saying...if I was from Paris or Florence or Barcelona, Philly's architecture isn't going to impress me.
Sure it will. It's foreign and completely different, so it's absolutely interesting to foreign tourists from "older" countries for that reason alone. Beyond that, it's about the history behind the architecture. You mentioned Paris; given their role in our Revolution, Philadelphia's history is going to be of interest and the architecture is part that history. It may be 200 years old or 2,000, but it doesn't look like Paris, Florence or Barcelona which is part of the reason why it's interesting. Just think of being a tourist in your own country. Do you really not think a beaux-arts building in New York is interesting because Boston and Philadelphia have Federalist buildings that are older?

Beyond that, certain American architectural styles harken back to different eras which are interesting to foreign (and American) tourists. Art Deco is a perfect example. There's a reason why buildings like the Empire State and Chrysler Building (GE building to a degree, although NBC is part of that draw) are among the most visited in New York. There's a reason why the Art Deco buildings in South Beach are among that city's top draws.

American architecture is part of American history and it's interesting to foreign tourists regardless of whether or not they have older buildings in their home country.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:05 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Want to know the reason why? Philadelphia has had an image problem for decades. Even to this day it still has an image problem, which is very evident of this thread and many others bashing Philadelphia. Most people think it's still a dirty, run down, abandoned crime zone. And while some sections of the city certainly still are, the core has never been so vibrant.

I live here. I own a home in town. Spend a saturday afternoon walking down Market Street from 12th down to 10th. You think that is vibrant? People from surrounding poor areas just handing around on Market Street playing this stupid dice games, etc. Feels very seedy.

The problem here is that the really poor rundown areas are way too close to the city center. Sorry for not being PC, but tourists do not want to rub elbows with those people that come into the city and roam around all day long cause their terrible neighborhoods have nothing but crime and poverty going on. I never saw that in Chicago or Boston or NYC or DC. What does Philadelphia have to match Newbury Street in Boston? Walnut St is no comparison.

Philly boosters turn a blind eye to the real problem. Philly is too blue collar and too poor. And there is nothing on the horizon to change that, short of PA cutting off all assitance until those poeple up sticks and move somewhere else where there are jobs for them. And we all know that will never happen.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:10 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Philadelphia has an SLS coming in, which is more exclusive and far far far superior to the W hotel brand. If that W never gets off the ground, as long as you get the SLS, I see zero issues.

W's are more in the league of Ritz-Carlton (it's arch-rival), Marriott Marquis, or Renaissance (and a few select others). Being only the fourth city in the country with an SLS, that's more relevant personally than being like the 15th with a W.
I worked for Starwood for 5 years. The W in Philadelphia is not only going to happen, but it's a priority project.

I'm not sure I'd even put W Hotels in the league of Ritz-Carlton. The St. Regis Brand (and some of the Luxury Collection boutique properties) is Starwood's more direct competition with Ritz-Carlton. W hotels try to offer more of a trendier, boutique feel than super luxury. Marriott Marquis and Renaissance are closer in terms of being in the same tier, but still a very different experience.

SLS Hotels are in line with Mandarin Oriental and are definitely on a higher tier than those mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City