Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 12:05 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I think SF may be in the #2 spot behind NYC...of course I'm biased, but it's not just the city going insane either. Curbed SF had the following article out the other day about all of the tech companies building new campuses in the Valley (and of course there is a subsequent multifamily boom there and in Oakland as well). Article has renderings, a map, and some information.

Seven New Tech Campuses Changing the Face of Silicon Valley - Curbed Maps - Curbed SF

Isn't the Valley (San Jose) in a different MSA from San Fran/Oakland? How far are they away from each other by mile's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
No, it's in both MSAs. San Mateo County (SF MSA) and Santa Clara County (SJ MSA). Commonly known SV cities below (a sampling):

Cupertino (Santa Clara County)
East Palo Alto (San Mateo County)
Foster City (San Mateo County)
Los Altos (Santa Clara County)
Los Gatos (Santa Clara County)
Menlo Park (San Mateo County)
Mountain View (Santa Clara County)
Palo Alto (Santa Clara County)
Redwood City (San Mateo County)
San Jose (Santa Clara County)
Santa Clara (Santa Clara County)
Sunnyvale (Santa Clara County)

Tech companies, R&D, and life sciences/biotech extend all down San Mateo County into the northern reaches of Santa Clara County from the San Mateo line through San Jose over to the Alameda County line. In Alameda County, Fremont and Hayward are big tech/R&D areas, as well.

If one wants to sound more like an expert, the whole Bay Area is a huge breeding ground for tech and R&D, not just the valley. This extends to Oakland, Emeryville, Hayward and Fremont in the East Bay, extends to San Francisco and South San Francisco in the area in and immediately around the city, down the "Peninsula" and into Santa Clara Valley. SF city itself is now the world leader for VC funding/fundraising. I think it even beats the valley blob of cities, but is certainly #1 as a single municipality. Oakland and Emeryville also have a lot going on. Some brand name tech and life sciences firms (and healthcare like KP) call that area home (Pixar, Novartis, Pandora, Kaiser Permanente, etc etc).

Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
No, it's in both MSAs. San Mateo County (SF MSA) and Santa Clara County (SJ MSA). Commonly known SV cities below (a sampling):

Cupertino (Santa Clara County)
East Palo Alto (San Mateo County)
Foster City (San Mateo County)
Los Altos (Santa Clara County)
Los Gatos (Santa Clara County)
Menlo Park (San Mateo County)
Mountain View (Santa Clara County)
Palo Alto (Santa Clara County)
Redwood City (San Mateo County)
San Jose (Santa Clara County)
Santa Clara (Santa Clara County)
Sunnyvale (Santa Clara County)

Tech companies, R&D, and life sciences/biotech extend all down San Mateo County into the northern reaches of Santa Clara County from the San Mateo line through San Jose over to the Alameda County line. In Alameda County, Fremont and Hayward are big tech/R&D areas, as well.

If one wants to sound more like an expert, the whole Bay Area is a huge breeding ground for tech and R&D, not just the valley. This extends to Oakland, Emeryville, Hayward and Fremont in the East Bay, extends to San Francisco and South San Francisco in the area in and immediately around the city, down the "Peninsula" and into Santa Clara Valley. SF city itself is now the world leader for VC funding/fundraising. I think it even beats the valley blob of cities, but is certainly #1 as a single municipality. Oakland and Emeryville also have a lot going on. Some brand name tech and life sciences firms (and healthcare like KP) call that area home (Pixar, Novartis, Pandora, Kaiser Permanente, etc etc).

I know, I was just saying that many of those are in a different MSA so they wouldn't be included. I know anything happening 20 minutes north of D.C. in Howard County I have not included for D.C. because it's in Baltimore's MSA. We could start a CSA thread I guess. That would be very interesting.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:50 PM

Well frankly the only mention I've made of anything outside of the 47 sq mi of San Francisco is above. I have not mentioned anything specific going on in Oakland or the rest of the East Bay, in San Mateo County (where several extremely large office developments and mixed-use developments are in progress), or Marin/North Bay, which doesn't have that much going on anyway.

And to be quite honest, SJ is wholly part of the Bay Area, a very defined and single-market metro connected via the same sports teams, news channels, transit systems, etc. It's about as BS that SJ and SF are separate MSAs as Raleigh and Durham are separate MSAs. So Duke and Chapel Hill apparently aren't part of the Raleigh metro. LoL. Research Triangle Park is akin to Silicon Valley. It perfectly straddles the arbitrary dividing line between 2 MSAs, and is actually moreso in Durham than in Raleigh. Nobody's going to legitimately say that what is part of Durham isn't part of Raleigh. I think Baltimore and Washington are a little different in that regard (were they ever a single MSA at one point like SF/SJ were and Raleigh and Durham were?).

Old 04-11-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Well frankly the only mention I've made of anything outside of the 47 sq mi of San Francisco is above. I have not mentioned anything specific going on in Oakland or the rest of the East Bay, in San Mateo County (where several extremely large office developments and mixed-use developments are in progress), or Marin/North Bay, which doesn't have that much going on anyway.

And to be quite honest, SJ is wholly part of the Bay Area, a very defined and single-market metro connected via the same sports teams, news channels, transit systems, etc. It's about as BS that SJ and SF are separate MSAs as Raleigh and Durham are separate MSAs. So Duke and Chapel Hill apparently aren't part of the Raleigh metro. LoL. Research Triangle Park is akin to Silicon Valley. It perfectly straddles the arbitrary dividing line between 2 MSAs, and is actually moreso in Durham than in Raleigh. Nobody's going to legitimately say that what is part of Durham isn't part of Raleigh. I think Baltimore and Washington are a little different in that regard (were they ever a single MSA at one point like SF/SJ were and Raleigh and Durham were?).

San Jose is really more of a suburb of San Fran/Oakland. DC and Baltimore are two stand alone major urban cities that have run into each other over time. They are very old cities that were built when people lived in cities without cars and suburbs didn't exist. They were both top 10 cities in the nation in population which is the only CSA with cities to have done that in the past. I agree that the DC/Baltimore area and really the entire BOS-WASH corridor is apples and oranges to the Bay Area and any area on the west coast. No other area in the nation comes close to the connectivity and function of the Northeast corridor so it's almost impossible to compare. It's an interesting dynamic really.

No other two major cities like DC and Baltimore are this close to each other anywhere else in America. It's kinda unbelievable it even happened. Usually, one wouldn't grow near another. One would stunt the other.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:57 PM

The distance between Baltimore and Washington is pretty close to the distance between SF and SJ (slightly closer, but not materially closer). But Baltimore functions moreso as its own city/MSA than SJ functions as its own city/MSA. I wouldn't go so far as to call SJ a suburb of SF, because people down there joke that SF is a suburb of Silicon Valley, which is geographically closer, in, and around SJ. What SF and SJ do, though, is function as one metro area. That's why people have a hard time saying that on paper they are two separate MSAs.

Also, the way the cities are geographically positioned in the Bay Area means that SF, SJ, and Oakland all share the same suburbs since the core cities sort of function as the endpoints. There's more of an invisible "dividing line" between DC and Baltimore. A line where on one side you are a Nats fan and on the other you are an Orioles fan. On one side you watch the news with x anchors and sportcasters out of DC and on the other you watch the news with y anchors and sportcasters out of Baltimore. This is just different in the Bay Area. There aren't really dividing lines, though people do know which "region" they are in ("The City", Oakland, Berkeley, East Bay, the Valley, SJ, North Bay, etc...was at a Warriors game last night in Oakland, but everyone was wearing "The City" hats/shirts).

Old 04-11-2014, 02:04 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Speaking of Houston, I think the new Marriott Marquis will break ground today. Another parking lot gone. Seems like downtown Houston is the hottest market in the city right now. Parking lots are disappearing.
Yes, Downtown Houston is expected to see a 30% reduction in surface parking lots.

Houston Developments - devmap.io

Some of the projects are on the new development map, within another two weeks, the development map will be complete with them all. All 111 skyscrapers inside the city (about 70 being in a 45 square mile core of the western Inner Loop) and the additional 20 or so skyscrapers from the rest of the metropolitan area (131 total). In addition to the 150 midrises above 4 stories. I'll add in the cultural institutions that are being built. Nearly 70% of the office space in the pipeline is spoken for and the residential projects all have aggressive timelines, most have collected their incentive cash from the city already, so they'll hit the shovels week after week from here on out.

In addition, like Summersm343 said, it's not all about skyscrapers, this development map will feature all projects. Urbanizzer's adding on to it, most probably.

I'll take the responsibility for Southeast Florida, New York, Chicago, the Metroplex, Austin, and the DMV and get started on their maps tomorrow. I have some spare time this April before I head overseas this next month for summer.

Will message MDAllstar for a total compilation and some addresses to get it started. I know where the Miami ones are going (they're skyscrapers with address databases, easy as cake).

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-11-2014 at 03:15 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 03:17 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
No one was doubting it would happen. It was a matter of WHEN will it happen, not if.

Glad they finally got a tenant! It will be nice to see supertalls in other cities in the US.

I agree with the guys over at skyscraper forum that Salesforce Tower is a terrible name lol. They should name it Cloud Tower or keep it Transbay Tower. Even Salesforce Center sounds better than tower.
its really Force though right

maybe "Force Transbay Center"

I like the transbay name actually - makes it associate with the rail/transpo hub it sort of places the mark to

Old 04-11-2014, 03:20 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Love the renderings for the Silicon Valley campuses. It's naive to think that all jobs will be based in major urban centers -- these developments look like spectacular, innovative models to follow.
Agree - in a recent interview Norman Foster stated the only two projects he really was spear-heading (meaning the real driver of and not just his firm) were Apple and CTIC - he said he loved the juxtaposition of creating innovative spaces in a suburban and urban environment - he with Comcast (Roberts) spent time in Silicon Valley exploring tech space to create the vertical tech space at CTIC and Foster seems to love his plans for Apple

Old 04-12-2014, 11:58 AM

Updated independent-cab tower crane crane count for the City of SF, not the metro.

Rincon Hill
399 Fremont - 460-470 ft - 42 floors - multifamily - 1 crane
45 Lansing - 450 ft - 39 floors - multifamily - 1 crane

South Financial District (Transbay District)
350 Mission - 454 ft - 33 floors - office - 1 crane
Lumina Tower 1 - 430 ft - 43 floors - condo - 2 cranes
Lumina Tower 2 - 380 ft - 38 floors - condo - 2 cranes
535 Mission - 378 ft - 27 floors - office - 1 crane (luffing jib)
222 Second - 360 ft - 26 floors - office - 1 crane (Liebher luffing)
299 Fremont - <350 ft - 32 floors - multifamily - 1 crane

Yerba Buena / SoMa
SFMOMA expansion - <200 ft - N/A - institutional - 2 cranes (Liebher luffing)
Mosso SF - <100 ft - 10 floors - multifamily - 1 crane

Mid-Market
Hampton Inn - <200 ft - 15 floors - hotel - 1 crane
1400 Mission - <200 ft - 18 floors - multifamily - 1 crane
1321 Mission - <150 ft - 15 floors - multifamily - 1 crane
100 Van Ness - 400 ft - 28 floors - multifamily - 1 crane
St. Anthony's Dining Room / Mercy Housing - <120 ft - 10 floors - multifamily - 1 crane

Mission Bay
Arden - <200 ft - 13 floors? - multifamily - 1 crane
Sol - <200 ft - 16 floors - multifamily - 1 crane
MB188 - <200 ft - unknown - multifamily - 1 crane

Mission / Castro / Upper Market / Hayes Valley
2558 Mission - <100 ft - 8-10 floors - multifamily - 1 crane
1450 Franklin - <150 ft - 13 floors - condos - 1 crane
Avalon Bay Hayes Valley - <100 ft - 6 floors - multifamily - 1 crane
55 Laguna - <100 ft - <10 floors - multifamily - 1 crane

Elsewhere
Amero - <100 ft - 7 floors - condos - 1 crane
Chinatown Hospital Expansion - <150 ft - 8 floors - hospital - 1 crane
255 Broadway - <100 ft - 8 floors - multifamily - 1 crane

28 cab-operated tower cranes up in the city limits...

By next count I expect cranes to be taken down for 535 Mission, Amero, Mosso, and possibly 255 Broadway, but new cranes to be put up for 1400 Mission, 333 Brannan, 345 Brannan, and a potential flurry of multifamily and condo projects in various start phases around the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City