Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Toronto, ON (Canada) 69 48.94%
New York, NY (USA) 72 51.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:12 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,570 times

Advertisements

Largest city in Canada or largest city in the USA

Where would you rather live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 10:17 AM

I would choose Toronto;

* Not as crowded
* More laid back / Less stress
* Much cleaner
* Cheaper rent/housing
* More beautiful (nice landscape everywhere, lots of flowers planted, etc.)
* Being located in Canada (Higher quality of life, national healthcare, English/French, better highways, metric system, etc.)

Toronto is a mix of NYC and Miami/Fort Lauderdale, and Canada has taken the best of America and Europe.

Toronto has lots of skyscrapers like mini-NYC, and it has large lake front with high rise buildings and sandy beaches that reminds me of South Florida cities.

Canada has similar to European system (national healthcare, metric system, more labor laws) while it looks like America and American lifestyle (large houses, skyscrapers, almost same stores, everything big, same roads/road signs, etc.)

Last edited by Jews for Jesus; 08-21-2013 at 10:31 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
This is like another one of those "Buffalo vs Chicago" threads

Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 AM

517 posts, read 677,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
I would choose Toronto;

** More beautiful (nice landscape everywhere)
* Being located in Canada (Higher quality of life, national healthcare, English/French, better highways, metric system, etc.)

Toronto is a mix of NYC and Miami/Fort Lauderdale, and Canada has taken the best of America and Europe.
Not getting any of this. How is Toronto like Miami/Fort Lauderdale, and how has it taken the "best of Europe"?

Also how does Toronto have better highways? There are like 3 highways in Toronto.

And better landscape? Most of Toronto is flat and featureless, and the surrounding countryside is mostly flat farmland. People go crazy over the Don Valley, the Scarborough Cliffs, and really anything out of the ordinary.

NYC is surrounded by ocean, mountains, forests, and the like. Much more natural scenery.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
NYC by a huge margin, but with the caveat of being able to afford it.

NYC has a lot of city programs which means generally a substantially better social welfare net than the vast majority of places in the US. Can't help the metric system part of things though. It's just going to be an embarrassment we'll have to live with.

Keep in mind that NYC and its metro is substantially bigger so there are a lot of options for cleaner and less crowded areas, but Toronto will not offer the converse of incredibly dense and bustling areas equivalent to what you see in some parts of NYC. Toronto also just has a lot less history and cultural institutions as it grew into a major city only within the latter 20th century.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-21-2013 at 10:46 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 10:30 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,032 times
Depends. Can't go wrong with either, and they are both are in my top 3 N.A. cities. But for New York, you need a bit more $$$ to live in a comfortable place within the city.

Toronto has the better quality of life, the cleanliness, and is less crowded (but still very a busy city), but NYC has the better public transportation and more things to do/see, and a bit more access to surrounding cities.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:04 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,285,733 times
I've lived in both and its not even close, its NYC for me. I know that for a fact I can do better financially there plus no one needs to go into detail on how much NYC has to offer someone who is willing to work hard both secular and culturally.

Of all the cities I have lived NYC is still my favorite and the only one that is a close second is Istanbul. That may change as I transition into London full time in the near future. Toronto out of the 7 cities I have lived probably ranks around 5th or 6th for me personally.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I've lived in both and its not even close, its NYC for me. I know that for a fact I can do better financially there plus no one needs to go into detail on how much NYC has to offer someone who is willing to work hard both secular and culturally.

Of all the cities I have lived NYC is still my favorite and the only one that is a close second is Istanbul. That may change as I transition into London full time in the near future. Toronto out of the 7 cities I have lived probably ranks around 5th or 6th for me personally.
Interesting. What do you work with?
How is Istanbul being a large Islamic city?

Old 08-21-2013, 12:44 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,285,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Interesting. What do you work with?
How is Istanbul being a large Islamic city?
I work with an International Healthcare company that advises Healthcare systems on development and expansion.

Istanbul is a fantastic city to live in from my personal experience. The fact that it is 95% Muslim never bothered me in the least bit. Personally I have no religious beliefs, but I do not fault anyone for having them, no matter how strong or non existent they are. So while I was there no one tried to convert me to Islam and the religious discussions were few and very short. See when you don't care about religion, the conversations tend to end quickly because they see there is no interest in the topic at all.

Otherwise it is a welcoming city, cosmopolitan, stylish, historic, beautiful, vibrant and has a culinary scene that can match anywhere on earth. Yes there are some major cultural and linguistic difficulties an outsider has to overcome, but with an open mind its a pretty easy city to navigate. I lived in Arnavutköy which has a long history of being a very diverse and accepting section of Istanbul, so I am sure that also helped in my transition.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:07 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,469 times
New York takes the cake on this one for me. But New York is not for everyone so it will depend on who you are. If you don't make a decently high income, then New York might not be a good long-term option. Unless you have a trust fund (and many do there), then NYC is also no place for lazy and incompetent people. Also, the hustle and bustle of New York might be too much for some people as well - not everyone is a big city person. I don't think I would get bored of it over the long-term. After living in Toronto, NYC, and now Boston, I do miss my 4-story walkup in SoHo every now and then although I was planning to move to Brooklyn (in the back of my mind) if I stayed there for the long-term. Toronto and Boston are more quiet, manageable urban centers with a good quality of life which is more suitable for the majority as a long-term New Yorker is very distinct personality. But only when you live in New York can you really appreciate the culture, interesting people, and lifestyle that is unmatched by any city, except perhaps London.

Last edited by johnathanc; 08-21-2013 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City