Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 10:10 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
so Central Park, GGP and Lincoln Park don't count?
Not sure why they would not, all three are great parks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 10:15 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
True. Fairmount Park is silly awesome in every way. I stand corrected.

Though intersting on the similarities. Maybe their industrial and development time frams led to this

Did not know that about StL so interesting to learn

Old 10-30-2013, 10:18 AM

484 posts, read 882,995 times
Out of any city that I've ever been to, NYC definitely has the best urban parks. But, from the outside looking in I would say that the first place goes to Washington, D.C. It has 19% of it's land area devoted to green space. That is impressive to me. And how iconic and amazing is the National Mall? You also have the vast Rock Creek Park.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:21 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Was just in Balboa Park, San Diego-very lovely with some cool attractions but IMO doesn't quite compare to the heavy hitters-NYC, SF, Chicago, Philly, etc. The tour guide made note that it is larger than Central Park-but he didn't mention that Central Park is actually not the largest park in NYC.

In Philly, The Wissahickon is a true gem and I am lucky to live within walking distance. Also, Savannah truly is amazing with so many of the park squares.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:40 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
so Central Park, GGP and Lincoln Park don't count?

I tried to include city propers that are fairly close in land area size other than KC which is really the same size as the others in developed land. That's why I didn't include Dallas, Houston, L.A., NYC, or Chicago.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:22 AM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Fairmont park in Philadelphia includes Museum of Art, the Barnes Foundation, The Rodin, The Zoo, The Please touch museum, boat house row, an outdoor ampitheater that host host summer concerts including the orchestra etc.

its a total of about 10,000 acres

It also hosted the Worlds Fair
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
True. Fairmount Park is silly awesome in every way. I stand corrected.
The actual Fairmount Park is one of the nation's first class parks. The actual Fairmount is over 4,000 acres. Fairmount was so popular and successful that Philadelphia calls its entire parks system Fairmount Park, thus figures of over 9,000 acres. Its kind of odd, I do not know if any other cities do that.

Fairmount Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What Philadelphia does successfully is that many of its parks, not just Fairmount proper but also Pennypack, Wissahickon Valley, Tacony Creek and others, are deeply wooded parks along river and stream valleys running through Philadelphia. This not only protects the waters and serves as flood control areas, but also lets rural nature into the urban city. Exactly what Frederick Law Olmstead planned with his parks.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:29 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Strong words. I haven't yet been to Savannah and don't doubt its beautiful parks, but my guess is you haven't been to all of the parks in this country either, and there are so many that are so beautiful in their own unique way that it's hard to define a "best".
Yes, they are strong words indeed. While you are correct that I have not been every park (why should I have to?) in every city in this country, I think Savannah best exemplifies what the OP was referring to. For the record, I am not basing this subjectively over topics such as "beauty" or "ammenities" (neither of which Savannah's parks lack). Mostly, I don't want to turn this in to a pissing contest.

The Squares and Forsyth Park were not an after thought or conversion/conservation like you see in pretty much every city except Washington DC. Rather, the entire city was designed around them and it is the very fabric of the urban design of Savannah.

You should read up on them as well as how they were a key part in the design of Savannah. It's architectural marvel. Squares of Savannah, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by waronxmas; 10-30-2013 at 11:38 AM..

Old 10-30-2013, 11:40 AM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Out of any city that I've ever been to, NYC definitely has the best urban parks. But, from the outside looking in I would say that the first place goes to Washington, D.C. It has 19% of it's land area devoted to green space. That is impressive to me. And how iconic and amazing is the National Mall? You also have the vast Rock Creek Park.
I remember going to the National Zoo when I was kid, which I believe is near or in Rock Creek Park. Very nice area with lots of greenery.

Washington DC is similar to Philadelphia in that a lot of its parks follow the river and streams. In fact they continue way into the Maryland suburbs, where long riverside greenbelts seem to be common. Even the Baltimore suburbs have a long greenbelt along the Gunpowder River.

But its the National Mall and other nearby areas that make Washington DC really stand out.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:52 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
I suppose for this thread it's heavily weight towards DC. It's a kind of an unfair battle really.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:59 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
It's pretty tough to beat the lineup that Boston provides - The Common, Public Gardens, Franklin Park, Fens, The Esplanade along the Charles, Arnold Arboretum, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City