Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No, it isn't more integrated than metro Atlanta. Every ethnicity has their individual enclaves, including in the suburbs.

You honestly think segregation is a wonderful thing, huh? That's just sick, in my opinion. Those little segregated enclaves you're so proud of happened because the immigrants of yesterday HAD NO CHOICE. Read a little history sometime.

And don't feel sorry for anyone living here. Over a million have joined us just this past decade, including TONS from the Tri-State area. Nobody held a gun to their heads. I guess this is the fastest growing Korean community in the U.S. "just because," right?

Beyond pathetic.
That is not why today though, they just choose to live next to each other and family members, its natural. There wasn't any forced integration necessary in schools and such. Half of those neighborhoods are something completely different now, but still getting immigration. I.E. an older italian hood is now puerto rican, etc.
One of the main mexican hoods in Chicago is Pilsen, and that name certainly isn't Mexican it used to be all czechs. There is high southeast asian pop on Devon, it used to be all Jewish, etc.
If there were the ability to cluster in Atlanta, they would do it there too. I thought there were some mexicans doing that in certain neighborhoods there anyway and that is pretty recent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
No I don't fly from airlines that are based in the deep south (yuck).
How absolutely pathetic. You have just eliminated yourself from the largest selection of flights to Europe from JFK with this blind hatred.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 PM

77 posts, read 200,224 times
I personally think the best cities for nightlife are as follows:

1. New York
2. Las Vegas
3. Miami
4. Chicago
5. Los Angeles
6. San Francisco
7. Philadelphia
8. DC
9. Dallas
10. Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That is not why today though, they just choose to live next to each other and family members, its natural. There wasn't any forced integration necessary in schools and such. Half of those neighborhoods are something completely different now, but still getting immigration. I.E. an older italian hood is now puerto rican, etc.
One of the main mexican hoods in Chicago is Pilsen, and that name certainly isn't Mexican it used to be all czechs. There is high southeast asian pop on Devon, it used to be all Jewish, etc.
If there were the ability to cluster in Atlanta, they would do it there too. I thought there were some mexicans doing that in certain neighborhoods there anyway and that is pretty recent.
The only cluster here is the Buford Hwy corridor. Everything here is very blended, we didn't have massive immigration when Chicago & New York did.

Immigrants here head straight to the suburbs when they arrive. The City isn't as affordable.

818 posts, read 1,386,926 times
Quote:
How absolutely pathetic. You have just eliminated yourself from the largest selection of flights to Europe from JFK with this blind hatred.
Ya I don't really care what I've "eliminated myself" from. I can just as easily use United, American Airlines, Continental, Air France, British Airways, etc when I fly which I do. I've never flown Delta before in my life and don't plan on starting now or ever either.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Atlanta is the fastest growing Korean community? Good because compared to NYC, LA, SF, and DC its still miniature. Hey I guess if NYC got 500 new Koreans every 3 years we can label it the "fastest growing Korean community in the world", right? LOL
Read it and weep, oh arrogant one.
Korean American (http://www.dokdokorea.org/KoreanAmerican/KoreanAmerican.htm - broken link)

Quote:
Yes I do think some segregation is a wonderful thing. Unlike Atlanta, people in NYC walk to where they have to go or take the transit. They interact daily, if immigrants want to live amongst their own kind, I say let them. That's what America is about, choices. They made theirs. And yes I do like the enclaves we have because of the little bit of segregation here in NYC, ramen boiled to perfection in Flushings, great variety of food and all in one place. Its a beautiful thing, IMO.

Atlanta has nothing like that, in fact Atlanta doesn't even have a Chinatown. Every multicultural city I have been to in America has a Chinatown.
Chinatowns in Canada and the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Guess again. Educate yourself a little and look up Buford Hwy.

Quote:
And yes NYC is more integrated than Atlanta, just look at Atlanta on that map. There is a north white side and south black side in Atlanta.

Compare that to NYC, credit Eric Fischer on Flikr for the image

NYC, where there is no north and south divide in segregation like Atlanta

Atlanta, where there are only white and blacks and very little of anything else
If you can't see the stark lines of segregation on that map of New York, you are completely blind. We "blend" here. MUCH, MUCH moreso than New York does. The maps are actually not proving your point - in fact, they show the opposite of what you claim.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Ya I don't really care what I've "eliminated myself" from. I can just as easily use United, American Airlines, Continental, Air France, British Airways, etc when I fly which I do. I've never flown Delta before in my life and don't plan on starting now or ever either.
Your ignorant loss, not theirs. You still are excluding yourself from the large majority of nonstop International routes from JFK.

And, I simply don't believe you. Your hatred is beyond delusional.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Read it and weep, oh arrogant one.
Korean American (http://www.dokdokorea.org/KoreanAmerican/KoreanAmerican.htm - broken link)
Ok so I just learned things about the Korean ancestry in the US. Greaat! They gave Atlanta a shout out and you're going crazy over it like all of Korea is moving to Atlanta now?
Quote:
Guess again. Educate yourself a little and look up Buford Hwy.
You sound so comical when you say your little catch phrases like this one, "educate yourself you must!". Almost a blend of Yoda from Star Wars and Superman. I can see why they call you Captain Atlanta now, you really go out of your way to defend Atlanta against the evils of "slander". LOL
Quote:
If you can't see the stark lines of segregation on that map of New York, you are completely blind. We "blend" here. MUCH, MUCH moreso than New York does. The maps are actually not proving your point - in fact, they show the opposite of what you claim.
Well look at Atlanta on the map, there is a divide of north white and south black though. NYC while showing its segregation has no north and south divide. All segregated nabes are in mixed distance from another nabe.

While on topic, does Atlanta have any nightlife that caters to non hip hop crowds or AA communities?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Your ignorant loss, not theirs. You still are excluding yourself from the large majority of nonstop International routes from JFK.

And, I simply don't believe you. Your hatred is beyond delusional.
You have a hard time believing someone out there hasn't used Delta to fly before? Ya I have never used Delta before, I'm content with United, American Airlines, British Airways, and Air France. What's there not to believe about that?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:08 PM

88 posts, read 140,841 times
Quote:
Ok so I just learned things about the Korean ancestry in the US. Greaat! They gave Atlanta a shout out and you're going crazy over it like all of Korea is moving to Atlanta now?
You sound so comical when you say your little catch phrases like this one, "educate yourself you must!". Almost a blend of Yoda from Star Wars and Superman. I can see why they call you Captain Atlanta now, you really go out of your way to defend Atlanta against the evils of "slander". LOL
Well look at Atlanta on the map, there is a divide of north white and south black though. NYC while showing its segregation has no north and south divide. All segregated nabes are in mixed distance from another nabe.

While on topic, does Atlanta have any nightlife that caters to non hip hop crowds or AA communities?
OH, I can answer this one. My job takes me throughout the East and Midwest and at least once a month I'm in my most DREADFUL stop, Atlanta. I went to a gay bar there and I was the only white gay in the whole place. Atlanta prides itself as being very gay, although having clubs in strip malls really unnerved me, but it was recommended on Gay Travel.

Atlanta is for the black gays and they made me feel very UNWELCOME because I was white. Then I was attacked in broad daylight by a deranged gang of ghetto drag queens outside Lenox Mall. This is supposedly the premier neighborhood and shopping area in Atlanta. It's basically a giant mall in the middle of sprawlsville, but to the Southerners they consider it a BIG city because there are some soulless glass skyscrapers surrounded by parking lots and nice landscaping nearby.

So this gang of ghetto drag queens with bad weaves attacks me and tries to steal my purchases! Now when I go to Atlanta I just stay cooped up in my hotel room downtown, which is deserted by the way, of course. Just panhandlers loitering about with wig shops and liquor stores around.

No, there is no real nightlife to speak of unless you like rap and HipHop. I guess all the white southerners who live 70 miles outside the city in Alabama go to revivals in their giant gleaming megachurches for fun. Have you read some of the people on here? The whites keep moving out of the inner counties further and further and further, spending more of their income on gasoline which ironically goes into the pockets of MidEast oil barons and terrorists. You couldn't write a tragedy like Atlanta if you TRIED!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City