Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 02:27 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
At midnight it was when i was there. There a few people coming out of restaurants but that was it. Again, i never said all of midtown. Obviously i cant be on every street at midnight.
Then what is your point, exactly? There is no place on earth where every single block in every single neighborhood is equally busy at all hours.

The point is that Midtown easily is the busiest place in North America, morning, noon and night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 02:31 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,296,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Then what is your point, exactly? There is no place on earth where every single block in every single neighborhood is equally busy at all hours.

The point is that Midtown easily is the busiest place in North America, morning, noon and night.
I think his point is that not every street in Midtown is teeming with people and some streets are not as busy as Michigan Avenue. Correct on both accounts. Quite an accomplishment for Chicago.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:36 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
"Every block in midtown manhattan is busier than the loop and michigan ave all the time". Please. Thats nonsense.
The ones in Uptown are relatively quieter than Midtown and Lower Manhattan and their surrounding environs.

Lower Manhattan, centered by the financial district shuts down like every other financial district in the world, becomes a spot for tourists seeing Wall Street, the Charging Bull, Battery Park, or the World Trade Center memorials. People make their way back into surrounding neighborhood like Battery Park City, Lower East Side, TriBeCa, and such. Meaning, I don't understand that statement you made pages ago about Lower Manhattan feeling more vibrant than Midtown. The financial center is to shut down like all in the world, while Midtown is a more mixed business district, entertainment district, theater district, arts district. It should and is naturally a lot busier than Downtown Manhattan.

In Washington the most active corridors like M Street, Massachusetts Avenue, U Street, and such all feel like they're less lively than even the average streets in Manhattan or Brooklyn. Not to mention Downtown Washington itself feels very "super block" like in comparison to either Downtown or Midtown Manhattan, the pedestrian activity in Downtown Washington bleeds out to the surrounding neighborhoods, Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan, DuPont Circle, Logan Square, Foggy Bottom. The Washington area's don't even feel as vibrant as the Chicago areas.

Michigan Avenue, while aesthetically pretty and maintaining itself as one of Chicago's more busier streets also feesl underwhelming to several streets in Manhattan. The surrounding northern neighborhoods of the Loop like Streeterville, Gold Coast, or River North don't compete with SoHo, Flat Iron District, NoHo, TriBeCa, so on. Pretty much every street between the Hudson and East Rivers and between 31st and 59th feels just as or typically more lively than Michigan Avenue. I've lived just mere blocks from Michigan Avenue and it definitely drops off in intensity at around 6 PM. Some nights walking from River North to the shores of the lake, Michigan Avenue would have a handful of people and would look pretty emptied out. If this is what you're trying as a gold standard to vibrancy, then yeah, there's dozens of streets in Manhattan alone more active than this.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I think his point is that not every street in Midtown is teeming with people and some streets are not as busy as Michigan Avenue. Correct on both accounts. Quite an accomplishment for Chicago.
If that's the point, then I totally agree, but geez; it isn't much of a point.

"The least busy side streets in City A are sometimes less busy than the most busy main street in City B". Ok?

Old 12-13-2013, 02:46 PM

572 posts, read 708,656 times
Quote:

You said it was.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:

"The least busy side streets in City A are sometimes less busy than the most busy main street in City B". Ok?
Lol this all started because i said parts of midtown can get quiet. You went off, saying this is impossible. There was no way.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Lol this all started because i said parts of midtown can get quiet. You went off, saying this is impossible. There was no way.
No, that's not what you claimed.

Here is your direct quote-
"Alot of those midtown blocks get very quiet after work hours."

Old 12-13-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
The ones in Uptown are relatively quieter than Midtown and Lower Manhattan and their surrounding environs.

Lower Manhattan, centered by the financial district shuts down like every other financial district in the world, becomes a spot for tourists seeing Wall Street, the Charging Bull, Battery Park, or the World Trade Center memorials. People make their way back into surrounding neighborhood like Battery Park City, Lower East Side, TriBeCa, and such. Meaning, I don't understand that statement you made pages ago about Lower Manhattan feeling more vibrant than Midtown. The financial center is to shut down like all in the world, while Midtown is a more mixed business district, entertainment district, theater district, arts district. It should and is naturally a lot busier than Downtown Manhattan.

In Washington the most active corridors like M Street, Massachusetts Avenue, U Street, and such all feel like they're less lively than even the average streets in Manhattan or Brooklyn. Not to mention Downtown Washington itself feels very "super block" like in comparison to either Downtown or Midtown Manhattan, the pedestrian activity in Downtown Washington bleeds out to the surrounding neighborhoods, Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan, DuPont Circle, Logan Square, Foggy Bottom. The Washington area's don't even feel as vibrant as the Chicago areas.

Michigan Avenue, while aesthetically pretty and maintaining itself as one of Chicago's more busier streets also feesl underwhelming to several streets in Manhattan. The surrounding northern neighborhoods of the Loop like Streeterville, Gold Coast, or River North don't compete with SoHo, Flat Iron District, NoHo, TriBeCa, so on. Pretty much every street between the Hudson and East Rivers and between 31st and 59th feels just as or typically more lively than Michigan Avenue. I've lived just mere blocks from Michigan Avenue and it definitely drops off in intensity at around 6 PM. Some nights walking from River North to the shores of the lake, Michigan Avenue would have a handful of people and would look pretty emptied out. If this is what you're trying as a gold standard to vibrancy, then yeah, there's dozens of streets in Manhattan alone more active than this.
I never said gold standard. Its what i was used to. Jeez

Old 12-13-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
No, that's not what you claimed.

Here is your direct quote-
"Alot of those midtown blocks get very quiet after work hours."
In my experience they were. I meant around union square around midnight too.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Lol you were the who said every single block is bustling compared to rest of north america. Day and night . This isnt true. Go back a page and read your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City