Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:30 AM

605 posts, read 1,165,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Don Draper View Post
No surprise that New York dominates this list. It's an iconic city that's unmatched in the United States.

New York was also voted the world's favorite city in the big international ipsos poll
We all know already.

Must be a New Yorker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 12:37 AM

605 posts, read 1,165,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I don't believe that Seattle and Denver only get under 1 million foreign tourists each year, especially now with the legal weed.
Colorado is the best state for wintersports and Seattle get tons of East Asians!
Do you really think foreigners care about legal weed? Really, they can enjoy that at home. They don't need to go to Denver or Seattle get faded.

I'm entirely unsurprised by these numbers. How many foreigners are traveling to engage in winter sports? And of those, how many specifically choose Denver metro when they could go ANYWHERE else in the world?

Yeah Seattle gets many East Asian tourists. 630,000 Asian tourists a year seems pretty fitting for a city of 630,000. A city with very few obvious, iconic tourist destination. Internationally? Probably none that are easily recognizable/nameable.

Last edited by JMT; 12-12-2013 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: language

Old 12-12-2013, 08:20 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
1Do you really think foreigners care about legal weed? Really, they can enjoy that at home. They don't need to go to Denver or Seattle get faded.

2.I'm entirely unsurprised by these numbers. How many foreigners are traveling to engage in winter sports?

3.And of those, how many specifically choose Denver metro when they could go ANYWHERE else in the world?

4.Yeah Seattle gets many East Asian tourists. 630,000 Asian tourists a year seems pretty fitting for a city of 630,000.

5.A city with very few obvious, iconic tourist destination. Internationally? Probably none that are easily recognizable/nameable.
1.Where can people enjoy LEGAL weed at home outside the Netherlands and Uruguay?

2.A lot more than you think.

3.Can't find the link anymore but i've read that around 80% of non-Canadian foreigners that come to the US for skiing/snowboarding go to Colorado.

4.Yeah many come down from Vancouver, they only count plane arrivals.

5.How dare you! Never heard of the Space Needle?
Washington is in the top 5 states when it comes down to nature, wildlife, mountains, forest and lakes.

Last edited by JMT; 12-12-2013 at 12:35 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 11:01 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Do you really think foreigners care about legal weed? Really, they can enjoy that at home. They don't need to go to Denver or Seattle get faded.

I'm entirely unsurprised by these numbers. How many foreigners are traveling to engage in winter sports? And of those, how many specifically choose Denver metro when they could go ANYWHERE else in the world?

Yeah Seattle gets many East Asian tourists. 630,000 Asian tourists a year seems pretty fitting for a city of 630,000. A city with very few obvious, iconic tourist destination. Internationally? Probably none that are easily recognizable/nameable.
Completely agree.

Last edited by JMT; 12-12-2013 at 12:36 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 02:55 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Chicago just doesn't have the enamor and fame that L.A., SF, NYC, Miami, and Vegas get around the world. Why visit Chicago when I can visit NYC, SF or LA for a big city experience? Why visit Chicago for lakeshore beaches when I can go to Miami for a real tropical vacation? Why visit Chicago for nightlife fun when I can go to Vegas for the best nightlife in the states? There's not much of a reason for a foreign visitor to see Chicago over other well known cities.

It's like if I were to go visit Tokyo in Japan. Why visit Osaka when I can visit Tokyo for a Japanese cultural filled big city experience?
Chicago gives you the giant skyscrapers, the dense walkable neighborhoods, and the beautiful waterfront front and center. It needs to sell itself on its own combination of attributes and position that combination as being unique. I'd love for Chicago to be inventive and at the same time hearken back to its history of being an incredible civil engineering marvel and constantly experiment with different ways to use its massive urban infrastructure.

Also, Osaka and the Kansai region in general is the best area to visit in Japan.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:17 PM

195 posts, read 347,864 times
NYC buries all of them.

Its almost 3 times more than the city under it.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:33 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54h4j645jj35 View Post
NYC buries all of them.

Its almost 3 times more than the city under it.

Quote:
We all know already.

Must be a New Yorker.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:00 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Chicago gives you the giant skyscrapers, the dense walkable neighborhoods, and the beautiful waterfront front and center.
The problem is other U.S. cities have far better skylines, far more density, or far more beautiful waterfronts. Chicago has many excellent attributes but not many singular "only in Chicago" type attributes. It's usually #2, #3, or #4 in the U.S. on most things.
Quote:
Also, Osaka and the Kansai region in general is the best area to visit in Japan.
I don't think too many people will agree with this. Osaka is basically the Rust Belt of Japan, and has been declining in importance to Tokyo and even Yokohama, for decades.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:51 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
The problem is other U.S. cities have far better skylines, far more density, or far more beautiful waterfronts. Chicago has many excellent attributes but not many singular "only in Chicago" type attributes. It's usually #2, #3, or #4 in the U.S. on most things.

I don't think too many people will agree with this. Osaka is basically the Rust Belt of Japan, and has been declining in importance to Tokyo and even Yokohama, for decades.
Chicago isn't at the top of many things, but it has a good combination of things that it can push instead. It should push itself as the interesting alternative to the other visitor hotspots in the US. Chicago can take that strange left turn like becoming a Berlin rather than a London or NYC.

I don't disagree that the Kanto region is economically healthier, but I think the Kansai region with Osaka as the big city and Kyoto as a beautiful city in the same region along with other smaller cities is the better region to visit and my favorite region of Japan.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:14 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Chicago gives you the giant skyscrapers, the dense walkable neighborhoods, and the beautiful waterfront front and center. It needs to sell itself on its own combination of attributes and position that combination as being unique. I'd love for Chicago to be inventive and at the same time hearken back to its history of being an incredible civil engineering marvel and constantly experiment with different ways to use its massive urban infrastructure.

NYC and SF has giant skyscrapers. SF and NYC has dense walkable neighborhoods. It has a nice waterfront for where it's located, but SF has natural beauty surrounding it.

Essentially, Sf has everything Chicago and probably more...NYC is just massive period and has like 3x the things Chicago has.

So I go back to the question: Why should a foreign visitor see Chicago over the charm and beauty of SF, the glamour and excitement of L.A., or the massive, world class city of New York?

Cities like Miami, Vegas, and Orlando have specific niche things going for them like nice beaches or great nightlife or amusement parks and that's why they get a abnormally high amount of foreign visitors.

Chicago is well round, but it doesn't excel at anything. NYC is well rounded, but excels in almost everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City