Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 03:27 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times

Advertisements

NYC
SF
Philly
Chicago
D.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Here you go again, using common sense. Did you forget where you are?
I did not give you permission to speak. Listen up old man, everyone knows you live in Milwaukee!

Old 02-21-2014, 03:36 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Wow really? That is hilarious. East Coast posters want so bad to find a reason why LA is not in their city's league. They fail every time.
Yeah, Los Angeles' densest areas are actually quite dense over a very large area. I think people keep thinking that LA is 1950s suburban San Fernando Valley or something like that, when in reality LA is a massive urban area.

Only New York surpasses LA as far as the the sum of areas that are 10,000+ppsm.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:38 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,851 times
I would say NYC, SF, DC, Chicago in no particular order. People saying LA & Philly must be joking.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I would say NYC, SF, DC, Chicago in no particular order. People saying LA & Philly must be joking.
Structurally, Philly is one of the densest cities in this country. If it wasn't so busted up and blighted and was nearly full, the city would be over 2 million people with an average density very close to SF and that's with an area 3 times as large.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:43 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Stay in your lane Skippy. Philadelphia is 13 miles N-S. 8 Miles E-W. Basically uninterrupted urban density. hard core old scool urban density not the faux DC urban density.

http://jackramsdale.com/wp-content/u...com)6194-2.jpg
DC has the third largest downtown in America in terms of miles it goes. It also has the third most amount of office space in the country. Both ahead of Philly

Old 02-21-2014, 03:46 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Here you go again, using common sense. Did you forget where you are?
Ummm......

Could you explain what urbanity means? I'm pretty sure natural, outdoor, forest, river's, and open space are not going to be included in the definition. In fact, those things are normally added into urban environments as an ESCAPE from the urban jungle. They don't create it. They grant a reprieve from it. I don't expect people on here to be experts but these concepts aren't that hard.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:48 PM

D.Cs's urban fabric is impressive...looks like a mini-Paris.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:50 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Structurally, Philly is one of the densest cities in this country. If it wasn't so busted up and blighted and was nearly full, the city would be over 2 million people with an average density very close to SF and that's with an area 3 times as large.

I agree at the city level Philly is number three, however, from an intensity level going from highest to lowest, Philly drops well below NYC, Chicago, San Fran, and D.C. after Center City which is rather small. Is Center City the third most urban downtown in the country? I think so. It just isn't very big and after you leave that small area, there isn't much of a middle level urbanity. You have the urban giant in Center City straight to the 2-3 level row homes. There is no couple mile transition into 6-9 story apartment buildings like you get in NYC, Chicago, San Fran, and D.C. before you hit rowhomes consistently. Pockets of rowhomes is fine, but an aerial picture of Philly speaks volumes on the drop off of vertical intense development.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:55 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
If pedestrian activity is heavily weighted, LA does really well and I'd put it near the top of the list - all the neighborhoods around DTLA are very active with pedestrians (though yes they are lower income and more immigrants than other cities, I don't see why this matters unless you are sorta racist). However if we are weighting this more by how pedestrian friendly things look can see LA more in the 5-7 range.
Michvegas must have a thing against Latino immigrants or something cus he keeps attributing LAs strong density numbers and large pedestrian population in central and downtown. Apparently all that pedestrian traffic is due to some "ghetto" swap meet according to his last post. Also he calls the areas undesirable but mentions that SFs Chinatown is somehow way more desirable and is thus exempt from the same criticism.

There are just way too many biases against LA. I mentioned earlier that LA reminds me of a mix of an South Asian city like Manilla and a Latin Americaj city like Mexico City not a traditional American gothic city like Chicago, NYC or Philly. He then claimed that Mexico City isn't urban enough!! Mexico freaking city? One of the major mega cities in this world and it's not urban enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City