Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 04:31 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
It doesn't feel anything like Paris at street level. Very wide streets, big, blocky office buildings, and very different type of streetlife. Not really close comparison, IMO.
I simply said that DC from the air at first glance looks like Paris. At first glance that's what I thought the picture was of.

As far as DF, have you been there? Its a mega city with plenty of urbanity.

This isn't urban enough for you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 04:37 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I simply said that DC from the air at first glance looks like Paris. At first glance that's what I thought the picture was of.

As far as DF, have you been there? Its a mega city with plenty of urbanity.

This isn't urban enough for you?
Grow up, stop posting irrelevant pictures, and listen to the conversation. I wasn't writing about DF urbanity.

Your pic, BTW, basically contradicts your point. That's Zona Rosa, which is, by far, the densest and busiest part of DF, but is not downtown. Downtown is to the east.

In any case, aerials tell you nothing. You can't tell a thing from that altitude.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:39 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Ugh go back to Orange County. Do you get some sort of satisfaction out of being such a hater?
Sorry, I'm very happy in Orange County. One of the greatest places in the world.

I mean, it's no Boyle Heights, but we make do.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:47 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Grow up, stop posting irrelevant pictures, and listen to the conversation. I wasn't writing about DF urbanity.

Your pic, BTW, basically contradicts your point. That's Zona Rosa, which is, by far, the densest and busiest part of DF, but is not downtown. Downtown is to the east.

In any case, aerials tell you nothing. You can't tell a thing from that altitude.
Was I supposed to post a pic of downtown? That shows that there is reason why places like LA and Mexico City are considered mega cities unlike Boston and DC. Not to deny the latter as dense urban cities but that you're being unfair to LA.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:48 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,188,334 times
NYC
Chicago
Philly
SF
Boston

Top 5 in order.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:49 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Here's dweebo's chart comparing the housing density of Los Angeles and Philadelphia. Clearly, L.A. gets its density by stuffing 12 Mexicans in a house (complete with pool because, as we all know, every house in L.A. is equipped with a pool).

Old 02-21-2014, 04:54 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Ummm......

Could you explain what urbanity means? I'm pretty sure natural, outdoor, forest, river's, and open space are not going to be included in the definition. In fact, those things are normally added into urban environments as an ESCAPE from the urban jungle. They don't create it. They grant a reprieve from it. I don't expect people on here to be experts but these concepts aren't that hard.
That's what I mean, you are taking the OP way too literally. I mean under your definition the Chicago Loop and Near North Side/Mag Mile would not be considered "continuous urbanity" because they are separated by a river. What about the Left Bank and Right Bank of River Seine... also not continuous enough? Does that make sense to you?

Old 02-21-2014, 04:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Also the term "urbanist" is one of the most pretentious, obnoxious and yuppified terms in the world. If you call yourself that you need to get over yourself. Yes I think an "urbanist" would prefer Nob Hill over just about anywhere in Los Angeles - because it is basically nothing but a yuppy wasteland at this point.
Meh, it may not be top on my list of places to live in San Francisco, but did have a nice urban streetscape.

Quote:
By the way - anyone else HATE the new Google Maps?
Seems like they made it slower.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:32 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Does all that in the foreground add up to even a square mile?
Bwahhhaaaaaaaa.............................

LOL....you're kidding right? D.C. actually has the largest length-width ratio of uninterrupted large buildings in the country even larger than New York since Manhattan runs linear. If we're talking strictly large high-rise buildings, it's pretty hard to beat D.C. on the continuity measurement. Maybe you should measure on google maps just how long you can go in D.C. before the buildings shrink? It would do you good.......

Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That is an impressive city! DC does look like Paris from the air. Cool pic!

D.C.'s core is growing more than any city in the nation mainly because of height restrictions and space constraints. The D.C. core will probably be second largest in the nation by 2020-2025 because of the vertical development push going on in D.C. and it's all due to height restrictions. It's a catch 22, you won't get the super urban center for a few blocks like in Center City, downtown Boston, or downtown San Fran etc., however, you get an urban core that is larger than most cities in the nation five times D.C.'s size because growth is pushed miles from the core. In 2020-2025, only NYC will most likely have a larger urban core than D.C. The vertical development footprint is just staggering in the city. It will extend 5.5 miles X 4.5 miles (including the Nation Mall) over the next decade to 24 square miles. The mix including highrise's, midrise's, and rowhouse's across this area will be unmatched over such a large distance except for NYC obviously.

North South (5.5 miles)
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=G...p=2&sz=13&z=13

East West (4.5 miles)
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=I...p=2&sz=14&z=13
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City